• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Th
Hi Everyone, I had my interview in Sydney today and happy to report that my visa was approved! I'll be heading over to the States around March 2015.

Some tips for the interview (you may already know this but I guess any info helps):

1. Just like at the airport, you'll need to take your shoes off when going through security. Wear ones that are easy to slip off.

2. It's $363AUD. I took $330 cash but that is the US amount (well done me!). I had to go back downstairs to get extra cash. Also, they don't accept eftpos, only credit cards.

2. Have your US address AND phone number written on a piece of paper (you can't take your phone up with you).

3. Don't forget a self addressed 3kg express post envelope.

The whole process was pretty simple and the staff were all really friendly. As long as you have everything with you, it's pretty straightforward.

Good luck everyone, looking forward to hearing how you all go.
i think you were sitting in front of me at the consulate, were you wearing black? Haha I saw you going to get the rest of the money:)) congrats

Th
i think you were sitting in front of me at the consulate, were you wearing black? Haha I saw you going to get the rest of the money:)) congrats

Yep, that was probably me. I thought I was so organised but apparently not! How did you go?

Reactions: CC1
Congrats ECM! You've been very quiet on here!

I've updated the spreadsheet but there may be some formatting issues. I'll fix them when I get back home from work tonight.

Reactions: ECM
Hi Everyone, I had my interview in Sydney today and happy to report that my visa was approved! I'll be heading over to the States around March 2015.

Some tips for the interview (you may already know this but I guess any info helps):

1. Just like at the airport, you'll need to take your shoes off when going through security. Wear ones that are easy to slip off.

2. It's $363AUD. I took $330 cash but that is the US amount (well done me!). I had to go back downstairs to get extra cash. Also, they don't accept eftpos, only credit cards.

2. Have your US address AND phone number written on a piece of paper (you can't take your phone up with you).

3. Don't forget a self addressed 3kg express post envelope.

The whole process was pretty simple and the staff were all really friendly. As long as you have everything with you, it's pretty straightforward.

Good luck everyone, looking forward to hearing how you all go.
Good point on the address AND Definitely phone number where you want your greencard sent, I had the address written down but no phone number and I have had to email that in to them yesterday, visa was still approved but they DO need that info, thanks for putting this down ECM as it is important :)

Now that I am beginning to come down out of the clouds, do remember to not take computers phones or any electronics at all with you, it slows down the whole line, if you can wear pants without a belt and just slip your credit card into your back pocket as most wallets/purses have metal on them, ladies do not bring a bag full of lipsticks etc....I left my jewellery except wedding rings at the Hotel, leave it all at the hotel, which by the way "Hyde Park Inn" right on Hyde Park Elizabeth St, Sydney is lovely and about $160.00 a night for a huge room, ours had a queen and two single beds as well as two sofas so if you have kids and only there for one night it is perfect, ask for the family room. They also give you cereal and toast with Juice as complementary. Its about a 10 minute walk to the Consular office and the kids can run around in Hyde Park to let off some steam afterwards haha.

Good point on the address AND Definitely phone number where you want your greencard sent, I had the address written down but no phone number and I have had to email that in to them yesterday, visa was still approved but they DO need that info, thanks for putting this down ECM as it is important :)

Congrats on gettingthrough the interview. Thanks for all this info much appreciated. One question, are you able to change the address to where theyre going to send your passport/visa to?

Congrats on gettingthrough the interview. Thanks for all this info much appreciated. One question, are you able to change the address to where theyre going to send your passport/visa to?

Yes, you can change that at the interview and you can change it again at your Port of Entry (POE).

Reactions: CC1
Hi fellow Antipodeans,

I've been through all the heartache, stress and emotional rollercoasting of the Green Card process as part of the class of 2014. This forum was invaluable. While I may not be able to visit and reply often, I've collected my memories of the process here: http://berniewatt.com/BLOG/

I hope it helps to hear another perspective. I'll be updating it regularly with tips on getting set up (mainly New York-specific info), renting pitfalls, social security, banking, etc. as well as all the fun things that happen along the way. Good luck. If you make it, it's an amazing experience.

Hi fellow Antipodeans,

I've been through all the heartache, stress and emotional rollercoasting of the Green Card process as part of the class of 2014. This forum was invaluable. While I may not be able to visit and reply often, I've collected my memories of the process here: http://berniewatt.com/BLOG/

I hope it helps to hear another perspective. I'll be updating it regularly with tips on getting set up (mainly New York-specific info), renting pitfalls, social security, banking, etc. as well as all the fun things that happen along the way. Good luck. If you make it, it's an amazing experience.

Hi Bernie,

Thats great! Im planning on moving to new york next year and I have my intevriew in Sydney next tuesday.

Hi fellow Antipodeans,

*Note to mods to add link to the "been there done that" thread*

*Note to mods to add link to the "been there done that" thread*

Thanks Susie. The link has been added to the thread, and the thread has been left unlocked with the hope that all posters will abide by the request to not litter it with endless chats.

Hi fellow Antipodeans,

Thanks Bernie, it really does help to know as much as we can about the process. And after. To use an analogy, sometimes I forget it's not just the wedding - it's the marriage afterwards too.

Hi Guys,

is it smart to have a folder with all original docs and the other with all copies? Should I also get copies of bank statements?

I did for our interview, and I also included a copy of our US bank statement. Ive been sending money over when the dollar has been good :)

Hi Guys,

is it smart to have a folder with all original docs and the other with all copies? Should I also get copies of bank statements?
They want the copy placed behind the original at the interview as your interviewer goes through and stamps the copies after comparing the two, put them in the order I mentioned in an earlier thread as that makes it easier for them. I had copied all my financials but didn't get asked for them in Sydney they may ask in Auckland, I kept them seperate from the other papers.

I did for our interview, and I also included a copy of our US bank statement. Ive been sending money over when the dollar has been good :)
What a great idea, at least it would have been if I had started sending money when we came back in 2012 when it was dollar for dollar, now it just depresses me to think how much we are losing per dollar, but all the positives out weigh this, cheaper housing for a start:)))

CC1, do they want the principal's documents separate from the derivatives? Or all together. So all passports together. All medicals together. Etc.