N600 After Age of 18 Very Complicated

murad14

Hi im over the age of 18 now and my father become a citizen when i was 12 years old but i never got a chance to apply for a green card my old lawyer really messed things up and then my dad passed away when i was 15 i was born in 1986 and there for was still under the age of 18 in 2001 so can i still apply for n600 and if yes what proof do i need to give or what are my other options thanks

Sorry for your loss. And unfortunately, you didn't derive citizenship through your father, because you would first need to have a green card to acquire citizenship via the Child Citizenship Act. So you are not eligible for the N-600.

Hi im over the age of 18 now and my father become a citizen when i was 12 years old but i never got a chance to apply for a green card my old lawyer really messed things up and then my dad passed away when i was 15 i was born in 1986 and there for was still under the age of 18 in 2001 so can i still apply for n600 and if yes what proof do i need to give or what are my other options thanks

I agree with Jackolantern. Since you did not obtain a green card before turning 18, you do not qualify for derived citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.
Prior to CCA of 2000 the rules for acquisition of citizenship by children of naturalized parent(s) were even more restrictive, and they also required obtaining a green card before the age of 18.
So as far as I can tell, you are not eligible to file N-600.

It's not very complicated, it's just plain unfortunate that you lost both your father and your chance to derive citizenship. Immigration law can be pretty harsh sometimes, and it is particularly harsh when petitioners (like your father) pass away before immigration benefits are granted to the petitioned. Perhaps you still have a chance through your mother, or siblings to obtain a Green Card. I agree with the earlier comments that because you didn't have a Green Card you unfortunately don't qualify under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

My 2 cents.

i think you could apply for n600.
in my case, my dad died in 2005 , i am 19 right now .born out of wedlock. i was a minor when he died and was acknowledged as his daughter. i am still not a US citizen, i am to apply for the n600 as suggested by the immigration officer.
If you are acknowledged by your father before when u were still a minor you can use that. u can check in the table for n600.

i think you could apply for n600.
in my case, my dad died in 2005 , i am 19 right now .born out of wedlock. i was a minor when he died and was acknowledged as his daughter. i am still not a US citizen, i am to apply for the n600 as suggested by the immigration officer.
If you are acknowledged by your father before when u were still a minor you can use that.
You are apparently talking about a different situation. Your father was a US citizen before you were born, correct?

If your father became a US citizen before your birth, you can qualify for citizenship without obtaining a green card first (depending on other conditions). But the OP's father became a citizen after the OP's birth, so obtaining a green card is required.

You are apparently talking about a different situation. Your father was a US citizen before you were born, correct?

If your father became a US citizen before your birth, you can qualify for citizenship without obtaining a green card first (depending on other conditions). But the OP's father became a citizen after the OP's birth, so obtaining a green card is required.

Yes, my dad was born a citizen. the problem is I didn't get my dad's last name , but i got my stepdad's last name. i think the N600 will help me with this issue.

Hello, Atty. I am 25 years old. born here in the Philippines. I was born August 14, 1989. My father was a U.S Navy, and He is American Citizen since birth, that mean he is American citizen before I was born. I have documents from him like Old U.S Passport. I have also document that acknowledges paternity of me in writing under oath documented here in Philippines, but my problem is I cannot provide this requirement "That your father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for you until you reach 18 years of age", but he supported me until I reached 23 years old, and I have receipts from him as justification of his financial support. Do you think I can still file for N-600?? or other citizenship claiming method? Please answer. Thank you.

Yes, if you have proof that he actually supported you until age 18 you can qualify for the N-600.

However, you need to be in the US to apply for the N-600. If outside the US, you should first apply for a US passport at a US consulate, then after using the passport to enter the US you can apply for N-600.

Hello, Atty. I am 25 years old. born here in the Philippines. I was born August 14, 1989. My father was a U.S Navy, and He is American Citizen since birth, that mean he is American citizen before I was born. I have documents from him like Old U.S Passport. I have also document that acknowledges paternity of me in writing under oath documented here in Philippines, but my problem is I cannot provide this requirement "That your father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for you until you reach 18 years of age", but he supported me until I reached 23 years old, and I have receipts from him as justification of his financial support. Do you think I can still file for N-600?? or other citizenship claiming method? Please answer. Thank you.
You should start a new thread; your situation is different from the one in the thread. You are trying to establish whether you are a citizen at birth abroad, not whether you got it after birth in the U.S. I am assuming that you were born out of wedlock? And your mother is not a U.S. citizen? (The things you referred to only apply if you were born out of wedlock to an American father.) That your father agreed in writing to support you is very important. It doesn't matter if he happened to support you, or a court told him to support you, he must have actually personally agreed in writing before you were 18, or you are not a U.S. citizen.

The issue of U.S. citizenship never came up in all these years before you were 18?

If you believe that you are a U.S. citizen, the quickest way to get proof is to apply for a U.S. passport at a U.S. consulate with all the requisite evidence. You could also file N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship, but that is much slower and more expensive.

Yes, if you have proof that he actually supported you until age 18 you can qualify for the N-600.

However, you need to be in the US to apply for the N-600. If outside the US, you should first apply for a US passport at a US consulate, then after using the passport to enter the US you can apply for N-600.
If he was born out of wedlock, that his father actually personally agreed in writing to support him is critical for his citizenship.

Also, you do not need to be in the U.S. to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. You just need to be a U.S. citizen.

Sorry I am new here and I don't know how to start a new Thread. So here again my situation.

I am James Abuda and I am 25 years old now. born here in the Philippines. I was born August 14, 1989. I was born out of wedlock to U.S. Citizen Father and Non U.S Citizen Mother. I have document that my father acknowledges paternity of me in writing under oath documented here in Philippines, but my problem is I cannot provide this requirement "That your father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for you until you reach 18 years of age", I have document like that but the problem is he never submit that document to the U.S embassy, but he supported me until I reached 23 years old, and I have receipts from him as justification of his financial support. Can I still claim U.S Citizenship, or do you have any Idea what I need to do to claim U.S Citizenship?

I have document like that but the problem is he never submit that document to the U.S embassy, but he supported me until I reached 23 years old, and I have receipts from him as justification of his financial support. Can I still claim U.S Citizenship, or do you have any Idea what I need to do to claim U.S Citizenship?
The written agreement doesn't necessarily have to have been submitted to the U.S. embassy. As long as it was signed under oath in front of any official from any country authorized to administer oaths, it is sufficient.

Never signed by someone. :-( My father was only a person who signed the document. Do I have other options? just to claim my citizenship??