OCI Transfer to new Passport for Minor

Dr.G.R

Hello folks,

I know the same or similar question has been posted here before so I apologise in advance. But (especially when related to Indian babus) circumstances change quite quickly. Hence why I am posting this again now...

- My son is a British National, his first British passport, with 5 year validity, was due to expire in December 2014 so I had it renewed as we are travelling to India in December.
- I applied for his OCI when he was about 2 years old.

I only very recently realised that it is actually mandatory now to get the OCI transferred to a new passport for minors. I'm not sure when this rule was changed but I honestly only recently found out about this. Furthermore, (the HCILondon website is not really clear to me) it seems that the transfer process takes as much time (10 weeks) and requires almost as much paperwork as the original OCI application. Only difference is lower cost. The 10 weeks would not leave me with sufficient time to get the OCI transferred before our trip in December.

Wondering if anyone can answer these questions / clarification for me based on recent experience?...

- What is the processing time for transfer of OCI onto a new passport for a minor?
- What are the documentation requirements
(all the information links on https://passport.gov.in/oci/ are broken :-( )
- Has anyone had recent experience of a minor travelling to India without transferring the OCI to a new passport, i.e. with old + new passport + original OCI. I can see on this forum that people in the past have not had any problems, but this was some time ago and Indian babus have been known to change their mind.

Any help of this would really appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance,

RG

Here in the US first time OCI is taking about 3 months on average. I am just getting done with the re-issue for my son's OCI and it took two months. So I would recommend not going for OCI renewal at this stage. I have read that recently too people have traveled with old+new passports and been ok at immigration. But not sure what each persons experience would be. Other option is to do a visa which should be a lot faster. Then get OCI re-issued when you get back to the UK.