"So help me God" - modified oath

lawyerless

I am a Christian and believe in God. However I do also believe in separation of church and state. For that reason, do you think I should request a modified US citizenship oath that removes "so help me God" from the verbiage? I'm legally allowed to do so, but I am not sure of the moral aspects of the decision here... and if it matters. What would you do if you were in my shoes and why?

This is important, and I think if you feel strongly about it, you should definitely request a modified oath. I really wanted to, but in the end, I couldn't bring myself to deal with it after filing the lawsuit, dealing with the US attorney, and having waited so long already.

Well here's my take on it.

If the original poster is at a "mass oath ceremony" than it's really an absurd request, as you are handed a paper with the words on it and you can mumble, sing happy birthday or do whatever you want. NO ONE WILL NOTICE. So in effect he/she can modify their oath to what they want to say. If in fact it's an oath "on the spot" at their office that's different.

However that being said, the original poster, who states he/she believes in God, (not agnostic/athiest or whatever) but due to separation of state and church issues is contemplating changing the oath. So they want to make a political statement to make a point!? Really!? You believe in God but want to make a political statement about separation of state and church!? Especially in all likelihood their scenario is a "mass oath" - which would take care of any supposed "moral problems" they had.

But hey, stand by your convictions, roll the dice, request the change and see how that works out of you.

I think poster number two summed it up correctly. "I would worry about more important things"

Like... what about the requirement of defending the country, seems that might have more real reservations for people. I wonder how many people, possibly even the original poster, really want to defend the country, at the potential expense of their own life, and yet still mouth those words!?

If separation of church and state is your concern, the modified oath will do nothing to help there. It would be more effective if you would just got citizenship as soon as you can with the regular oath (remaining silent if you want for the "God" part), then use your rights a citizen to protest against the laws you don't want.