• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2016 Applicant

i forgot to add this i also applied DV 2015 but was not selected!!! is there any redraw?

Hi. I´m new here and have a doubt about the DV.
I am brazilian but both my parents are from Spain. Although I was born in 1955, in an ineligible country (Brazil), I can be eligible to the DV-2016 through my parents.
My father was working in Brazil when I was born but neither my father nor my mother were brazilian citizens at that time. My father was an engineer and worked as a third part for one firm in Brazil. Later, he also worked in the US for some years, but never got a green card. It was in the 60´s, a long time ago. After 18 years of my birth they asked for a brazilian citizenship. Now, they are both dead.
If I am selected to apply for the DV, how do I prove that they still were Spain citizens by the time I was born? I have their birth and their marriage certificates . They didn´t have properties in Spain to prove that they lived there. At that time it was post WW II and they lived with a sister. Although she is very old she is lucid and can write a letter testifying that. I have their petition for brazilian citizenship in 1973 and no other documents. Can you, please, help me with this issue? Thanks

Hi. I´m new here and have a doubt about the DV.
I am brazilian but both my parents are from Spain. Although I was born in 1955, in an ineligible country (Brazil), I can be eligible to the DV-2016 through my parents.
My father was working in Brazil when I was born but neither my father nor my mother were brazilian citizens at that time. My father was an engineer and worked as a third part for one firm in Brazil. Later, he also worked in the US for some years, but never got a green card. It was in the 60´s, a long time ago. After 18 years of my birth they asked for a brazilian citizenship. Now, they are both dead.
If I am selected to apply for the DV, how do I prove that they still were Spain citizens by the time I was born? I have their birth and their marriage certificates . They didn´t have properties in Spain to prove that they lived there. At that time it was post WW II and they lived with a sister. Although she is very old she is lucid and can write a letter testifying that. I have their petition for brazilian citizenship in 1973 and no other documents. Can you, please, help me with this issue? Thanks

You can only claim your parents country of eligibility if you can show they were in your birth country (Brazil) only temporarily. By that I mean that they were there for a period of time (during which period you were born), and then they left. Their petition for citizenship suggests that is not the case. So - it is not that you have to prove they were still Spanish citizens, you would have to prove they were residents of Spain, but were in Brazil for a temporary period of time.

Thanks for your prompt answer. I understand.
Do you think some notarized statements from people that knew them and my ant (that lived with them for many years) would be enough to prove that they still lived in Spain at that time?
Unfortunatelly, there are no documents to prove their trips back and forth. They rented a house, but I don´t know if we could find the owners at that time to state that. Surely they don´t have documents on that anymore.
My parents decided to live in Brazil 18 years after my birth, so, they applied for citizenship. It was not their idea to live there when I was born.
I have another question: I applied for the Spanish citizenship and it will probabily be granted by next year. I´ll apply for the DV-2016 with the Spanish eligibility through my parents but if I am selected, I´ll probably have my own citizenship by that time. Will it be a problem? Or the solution?
Sorry to bother you again!

Thanks for your prompt answer. I understand.
Do you think some notarized statements from people that knew them and my ant (that lived with them for many years) would be enough to prove that they still lived in Spain at that time?
Unfortunatelly, there are no documents to prove their trips back and forth. They rented a house, but I don´t know if we could find the owners at that time to state that. Surely they don´t have documents on that anymore.
My parents decided to live in Brazil 18 years after my birth, so, they applied for citizenship. It was not their idea to live there when I was born.
I have another question: I applied for the Spanish citizenship and it will probabily be granted by next year. I´ll apply for the DV-2016 with the Spanish eligibility through my parents but if I am selected, I´ll probably have my own citizenship by that time. Will it be a problem? Or the solution?
Sorry to bother you again!

Regarding your citizenship - that will make no difference for the DV purposes. Eligibility is based on your country of birth, not citizenship. If you are charging to your parents it would also be to their country of BIRTH not citizenship.

Regarding the proof. It sounds like a weak case - if you enter and if you are selected and if you are interviewed then you could choose to risk your application fees - but you will need something a bit more solid than what you are talking about. Remember we are talking about a time period of the 50s - it wasn't typical that people travelled "back and forth" transatlantic - a trip like that would have been a BIG deal.

Lastly, I just want to mention - you are a few years older than me - it will be expensive and a lot of hassle to emigrate at your age with not a lot of working years left. You probably won't have time to qualify for any retirement programs/social benefits and so on (which require 40 quarters of contributions). So unless you are independently wealthy, you are biting off a big problem and if you are independently wealthy then you have other immigration routes open to you which are much more likely and faster.

I get your point (your points, actually).
And you are probably right about this route for immigrating at this point of my life.
I´m not that wealthy but I´m retired and was planning on spend the next years here. The DV seemed perfect. Maybe not that perfect...
I´ll give it a thought. Thanks again.

I am 100% sure - based on what you said earlier - "I completed the equivalent of a US high school education (A levels)". The requirement is an education that matches a US High School education - so you said you completed that. Whatever you did after that point cannot disqualify you.

Thanks for your prompt reply Britsimon. I can definitely prove I have completed the equivalent of a US high school education if I make it to an interview because I have completed the British A levels (A2). I just wanted to make sure that selecting Vocational school in the options wont automatically disqualify me before the draw even happens because they might just assume that I went straight to Vocational school and didn't fully complete high school.

Theoretical question: If you selected High school no degree (ie you haven't finished high school) would that automatically disqualify you before the draw?

Thanks for your prompt reply Britsimon. I can definitely prove I have completed the equivalent of a US high school education if I make it to an interview because I have completed the British A levels (A2). I just wanted to make sure that selecting Vocational school in the options wont automatically disqualify me before the draw even happens because they might just assume that I went straight to Vocational school and didn't fully complete high school.

Theoretical question: If you selected High school no degree (ie you haven't finished high school) would that automatically disqualify you before the draw?

No, but KCC would flag your file if selected.
You only have to meet the education requirement at the time of interview. So technically someone who is currently completing high school for example and would have graduated before FY2016 starts, could enter. They would not currently have completed school And would say that on the form, but would meet the requirement by the time of interview.
Also you can meet the work experience requirement as an alternative.
So there are at least two options why selecting that option won't disqualify you.

No, but KCC would flag your file if selected.
You only have to meet the education requirement at the time of interview. So technically someone who is currently completing high school for example and would have graduated before FY2016 starts, could enter. They would not currently have completed school And would say that on the form, but would meet the requirement by the time of interview.
Also you can meet the work experience requirement as an alternative.
So there are at least two options why selecting that option won't disqualify you.
Thanks SusieQQQ!

So, hubby has Irish senior leaving cert which is equivalent to UK A levels. What level of education do we choose for application?

How do people usually get their photo for the application? Last year I paid $25 AUD for a measly photo, and I'm wondering whether I should just do it myself with a digital camera?

Also, is 'high school degree' the same as a high school diploma? I'm currently at university, but would it just be easier to select 'high school degree', since it would be easier to just prove that assuming I am chosen? As opposed to selecting 'Some university courses', where I'd have to show a transcript, then show a high school transcript too.

Laplace4 I found an app in App Store
USGCphoto
Then if you look back through this thread there is a link to photo validation site. I am stressing over photos too. I have four to do. Hubby, me, x2 children.
If you use both tools I think results are acceptable.

is the 2016 dv application process open if so ,can someone help coz i seem to be failing to apply.

Wow guys. This education level thing seems to be throwing a few of you. It is NOT a knock out question. It is statistical analysis. So you don't have to prove what you indicate, just that you qualify. Stop stressing tiny stuff.

How do people usually get their photo for the application? Last year I paid $25 AUD for a measly photo, and I'm wondering whether I should just do it myself with a digital camera?

Also, is 'high school degree' the same as a high school diploma? I'm currently at university, but would it just be easier to select 'high school degree', since it would be easier to just prove that assuming I am chosen? As opposed to selecting 'Some university courses', where I'd have to show a transcript, then show a high school transcript too.

You can do it yourself on a phone camera. Get 2 or 3 shots where the head takes up about half the image against a plain light background. Natural light is easiest. Then use the official tool to crop correctly.

I take the photo with my smart-phone and use "Microsoft Office Picture Manager", which is part of the MS Office installation, in most cases. On windows explorer, right click on the picture you took, and select "Open with" and select "Microsoft Office 2010 (Picture Manager)". This will open the application, where you can crop, filter light background, and resize the picture to the correct resolution (600 x 600) all under "Edit Pictures" button. You don't need a photoshop to remove light patterns from the background using the "Brgightness and Contrast" function. Again, this requires the MS office suite installed on your PC.

I take the photo with my smart-phone and use "Microsoft Office Picture Manager", which is part of the MS Office installation, in most cases. On windows explorer, right click on the picture you took, and select "Open with" and select "Microsoft Office 2010 (Picture Manager)". This will open the application, where you can crop, filter light background, and resize the picture to the correct resolution (600 x 600) all under "Edit Pictures" button. You don't need a photoshop to remove light patterns from the background using the "Brgightness and Contrast" function. Again, this requires the MS office suite installed on your PC.

Keep editing steps to the minimum. So, find a plain background. They will reject cases with obvious edits other thAn cropping.

Keep editing steps to the minimum. So, find a plain background. They will reject cases with obvious edits other thAn cropping.
wow, that is an interesting statement. Can you provide a link or a reference or example where they have rejected cases based on picture edits? I have been editing photos with significant steps. I doubt your statement is correct though, or are you just postulating this? please elaborate. Thanks..