Canceling sponsorship questions

AlBig58

Is there a way to cancel or revoke my sponsorship of my son-in-law who has moved back to his home country (as of Sept. 20, 2014) and had lived in the U.S. since July of 2013? He is currently married to my daughter, and had been refusing treatment for mental illness. After many attempts to convince him to take his medications and follow his treatment plan failed, he decided to go back home to Kenya. Me, as his "sponsor," would like to start the process of cancelling sponsorship and have been having a hard time finding information on the USCIS website. Any help here would be extremely appreciated!! What do I need to do? Thanks in advance for any help with this matter!!

Is there a way to cancel or revoke my sponsorship of my son-in-law who has moved back to his home country (as of Sept. 20, 2014) and had lived in the U.S. since July of 2013? He is currently married to my daughter, and had been refusing treatment for mental illness. After many attempts to convince him to take his medications and follow his treatment plan failed, he decided to go back home to Kenya. Me, as his "sponsor," would like to start the process of cancelling sponsorship and have been having a hard time finding information on the USCIS website. Any help here would be extremely appreciated!! What do I need to do? Thanks in advance for any help with this matter!!

No, it is not cancelable that is why you can't find information about it on the USCIS website.

What about termination due to not living in the USA anymore??

Well the person has a Green Card, so until that is revoked the sponsorship is in place (even though it may be moot while he is abroad). The only way to remove your obligation before the normal end of the obligation (which is I believe his citizenship, death, or 40 quarters of work in the USA), would be if somehow the LPR status itself was revoked. If he stays abroad long enough (12+ months assuming he hasn't applied for a re-entry permit) he might lose his LPR status though abandonment. However, he could fight that in the USA if he wanted to and guess who could be held responsible for the lawyers fees - so be careful of hoping for that route.

Actually I just googled and see all this is nicely explained on the I864 you signed. http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864.pdf

It seems like in addition to the things I mention above, your own death is also a way to remove the obligation. So it isn't all bad news. ;)

Well the person has a Green Card, so until that is revoked the sponsorship is in place (even though it may be moot while he is abroad). The only way to remove your obligation before the normal end of the obligation (which is I believe his citizenship, death, or 40 quarters of work in the USA), would be if somehow the LPR status itself was revoked. If he stays abroad long enough (12+ months assuming he hasn't applied for a re-entry permit) he might lose his LPR status though abandonment. However, he could fight that in the USA if he wanted to and guess who could be held responsible for the lawyers fees - so be careful of hoping for that route.

Actually I just googled and see all this is nicely explained on the I864 you signed. http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864.pdf

It seems like in addition to the things I mention above, your own death is also a way to remove the obligation. So it isn't all bad news. ;)
Thanks Britsimon! You have been helpful! I reread the application I completed almost 2 years ago at the request of my daughter who wanted to marry this man from Kenya and WOW! I wish I would have done more research into what I was actually getting into! Especially after every thing that has happened since. I do want more details than are given in the document, like #3-"No longer has permanent resident status, and has departed the United States." Also, #4-"Becomes subject to removal.....etc." I will want to know exactly what is involved with those two items. Thanks again-you have been very helpful!!

Thanks Britsimon! You have been helpful! I reread the application I completed almost 2 years ago at the request of my daughter who wanted to marry this man from Kenya and WOW! I wish I would have done more research into what I was actually getting into! Especially after every thing that has happened since. I do want more details than are given in the document, like #3-"No longer has permanent resident status, and has departed the United States." Also, #4-"Becomes subject to removal.....etc." I will want to know exactly what is involved with those two items. Thanks again-you have been very helpful!!

Yep - it is a lesson to be learned. The instructions made the downsides very clear, but you probably did what we all tend to do - sign without really reading what you were agreeing to.

3 and 4 both relate to the revocation of LPR status (and the various ways that could end). Like I mentioned - I don't think you should try and accelerate that outcome - doing so will almost certainly cost you a lot more than your current exposure. You also will be treading into dangerous territory for a parent - probably best to stay clear of that. You already made your mistake a couple of years ago - I think it is time to accept that you are powerless and leave the bees nest alone.