Social Security number & first arrival at airport

Applics

Hi everyone,
My husband just got his green card package today! We have a question- do they send his social security number to our US address? Or is it inside the package we're not allowed to open?

Also, when we get to US airport, can he stand in the US citizens line with me? Or does he still have to stand in the non-citizen line? We are entering at JFK.

Thank you for your help!!

Last edited:
If he requested a Social Security number on form DS-230 (or its online equivalent, DS-260), the Social Security card will be mailed to him a few weeks after arrival in the US. If it wasn't requested on that form, he will have to visit a Social Security office to apply for one.

Also, when we get to US airport, can he stand in the US citizens line with me? Or does he still have to stand in the non-citizen line? We are entering at JFK.
Normally the line for citizens will have a sign "Citizens and Residents", which means US citizens and permanent residents (which is what your husband will become at that first admission into the US), so he can be in the same line. However, I've heard that a few airports have a Citizens-only line which doesn't include residents. I don't think JFK is one of those.

Thank you very much for your help! He did request a Social Security number during the Green Card application, so that's great. And I'm glad he can stand on line with me.

Won't standing in the citizen's line (if it doesn't also say residents) hold the line up while they do some processing? Wouldn't it be better to stand in the immigrants line (not citizens or LPRs)?

New immigrants have to use separate lines and by themselves.
But they take care of the whole process nicely.
I just got back with my mom with me at JFK last week.