• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Yap I got now, if he got the visa with his son on November, then six months from November is May the visa validity might be at ….
Ya I got it , a good point.

Yes you got it Rolex. Britsimon, appreciate your best case by case followup.

Yes you got it Rolex. Britsimon, appreciate your best case by case followup.

hey MB1xxx, since ur case # is low can I ask u something if u do or not? last time I went to MoFa office(located kasanchis) for mine and my husband education document authentication , and MoFa officer asked me for what purpose I am doing this I said for dv so he told told me, since I am taking the documents to the embassy myself during the interview authentication will be done back side of the original documents not on the photo copy so that not make unnecessary expense , and I started the all process again from university , high school , MoEd and back again MoFa to authenticate the documents back side of my original education documents ESLCE & Degree, and after that one of the MoFa personnel finally inform me if I am doing this for dv I have to do the same for our marriage certificate, birth date certificate but I thought original document only needed for the marriage, birth certificate .
MB1xxx what do u do for the marriage and other documents ?

wish u luck bro
rolex123

Last edited:
hey MB1xxx, since ur case # is low can I ask u something if u do or not? last time I went to MoFa office(located kasanchis) for mine and my husband education document authentication , and MoFa officer asked me for what purpose I am doing this I said for dv so he told told me, since I am taking the documents to the embassy myself during the interview authentication will be done back side of the original documents not on the photo copy so that not make unnecessary expense , and I started the all process again from university , high school , MoEd and back again MoFa to authenticate the documents back side of my original education documents ESLCE & Degree, and after that one of the MoFa personnel finally inform me if I am doing this for dv I have to do the same for our marriage certificate, birth date certificate but I thought original document only needed for the marriage, birth certificate .

wish u luck bro
rolex123

Rolex, I'm sorry I didn't yet start working on the documents. Actually I am now out of Ethiopia and will be back home in 10 days to work on the documents. My appointment is after mid of November. What I know for now is all English documents we submit need to be authenticated and those in Amharic need to be translated and authenticated (Authenticated: Stamp, signature and date at the back.)

wish u luck bro
rolex123

Dear Simon,
I am sorry mine will be around March/April, if everything goes like last year. My CN is 2015AF26XXX. Anyways, thnx for your wish. Hopefully it will be true soon. Let us congrats the ones who already got thier 2nd NL
Hi fikir mine is also 2015AF24***. you will go current on march/aprill i will also go current on march/aprill. Lets hope the process will speed up!

dear simon, susie
im 2015AF6****
my name in EDV was name : 1 , 2 , 3 as 3 is last name
but passor name is long also i have name : 1, 2, 3 ,4
i forget name 4 in EDV by mistake ,
now i open ds260 and i want to write name , must i use like EDV name 1,, 2 ,3 only
or like passpor 1, 2, 3, 4 ???
will i be disqulify bekause of this mestake ?? i dont kno what to do please tell ??
is it deadly mistake ?

dear simon, susie
im 2015AF6****
now i open ds260 and i want to write name , must i use like EDV name 1,, 2 ,3 only
will i be disqulify bekause of this mestake ?? i dont kno what to do please tell ??
is it deadly mistake ?

If I recall correctly the form tells you to fill in your name as it is on your passport.
Name issues can cause disqualification. However, this seems to be quite a common issue in your part of the world and I think you should be ok. Other people have reported similar issues and been successful in getting their visas.

dear simon, susie
im 2015AF6****
is it
If I recall correctly the form tells you to fill in your name as it is on your passport.
Name issues can cause disqualification. However, this seems to be quite a common issue in your part of the world and I think you should be ok. Other people have reported similar issues and been successful in getting their visas.
thank you susie , it is mental error when u read EDV with THREE SPACES , i directly assume it is name 1 , name 2 , and name 3
but when u get selected u realise that space number 3 is suposed for last name in passpor
anyway thank you for your reply ,, now should i write full 4 names in DS260 without being worried about last name difference ? ?
and thank you again

Hi all,
I have one question for those who had an experience with police certificate in Europe. I have asked a police certificate from one country in Europe and they send me a document with Apostil in the back. However, the apostil says that it only if for the signature not the content. so, do I need to do for the content or is it enough for the signature? I hope someone with this experience will help me. Thank you very much

Hi fikir mine is also 2015AF24***. you will go current on march/aprill i will also go current on march/aprill. Lets hope the process will speed up!
Dear Dawgeb,
That is great, we will be in touch regarding the process and other information. Bytheway are you from Addis?

Your LPR status is activated upon arrival the moment you're done with immigration at your POE, and you may get on the very next available flight back home if you wish.

Hi Sm1smom, we now agreed (family) to take the option of entering the US, get the "LPR Status Activated" and then going back for exam to Ethiopia and finally return to the US after the exam. As my son is good at his exams, this will help him join a university the following year and that is why I am planning this expensive operation.
Now, my question is about some details regarding your last answer. What does "our LPR status is activated up on arrival means" please. Are we receiving some document immediately? Is this document useful to exit and re-enter USA later on? I guess, unless we declare upon exit through some document we are offered, it will be difficult to re-enter. Probably, even exiting from US may not be possible with the immigrant visa (unlike the non-immigrant visa). If nothing is offered upon arrival and travel is not possible without the necessary document, which means we have to wait for the green card (or what ever LPR document for that matter), how long will it take to get one before we get back? This information is critical to have a good plan that works. Thanks.

Hi Sm1smom, we now agreed (family) to take the option of entering the US, get the "LPR Status Activated" and then going back for exam to Ethiopia and finally return to the US after the exam. As my son is good at his exams, this will help him join a university the following year and that is why I am planning this expensive operation.
Now, my question is about some details regarding your last answer. What does "our LPR status is activated up on arrival means" please. Are we receiving some document immediately? Is this document useful to exit and re-enter USA later on? I guess, unless we declare upon exit through some document we are offered, it will be difficult to re-enter. Probably, even exiting from US may not be possible with the immigrant visa (unlike the non-immigrant visa). If nothing is offered upon arrival and travel is not possible without the necessary document, which means we have to wait for the green card (or what ever LPR document for that matter), how long will it take to get one before we get back? This information is critical to have a good plan that works. Thanks.

At the embassy after your interview you will each get a visa stamped in your passport which is valid for the initial entry for up to 6 months. You then enter and you are processed at the Port of Entry (POE), and you become an LPR. The visa you already have is immediately valid for travel for up to one year by which time you will have received the physical plastic Green Card.

Activated LPR status simply means once you get to the airport in the US and meet with the immigra officer who will endorse the visa in your passport, you immediately become a legal permanent resident right before you leave the airport.

You will not receive anything else at the airport, however the stamp with the endorsement becomes a temporary GC that you can use to get back into the U.S. again if you're not able to wait for the plastic GC itself to arrive at the address you've provided. The temporary GC will be valid for one year, you can use it to come into the U.S. as many times as you like within that one year validity period.

Just to add to simon and mom above, the 'endorsement' is just the entry stamp on your visa. Once that is there, your visa turns into a temporary green card valid for a year from the date of your entry.

Activated LPR status simply means once you get to the airport in the US and meet with the immigra officer who will endorse the visa in your passport, you immediately become a legal permanent resident right before you leave the airport.

You will not receive anything else at the airport, however the stamp with the endorsement becomes a temporary GC that you can use to get back into the U.S. again if you're not able to wait for the plastic GC itself to arrive at the address you've provided. The temporary GC will be valid for one year, you can use it to come into the U.S. as many times as you like within that one year validity period.

Wawoo!! Thank you Sm1smom. Thank you Britsmon and SusieQQQ too. It is really great to have you all here.

Hi guys. I'm new here. I consider myself lucky for finding this forum.
I tried to read some threads. They are very helpful.
My case no is AF12*** from Ethiopia. I have some questions.
1. Can u estimate when my interview will be?
2. I graduated from hawassa university in nursing(Bachelor). But I don't have my degree at hand because it is must to serve some years after graduation, or to pay huge amount of money to get degree in our country. I can't afford both now.
In my original eDV application and DS form I chose "university degree" as my highest education level.
But, as I learned from some interview experiences in this forum, it's probable that the CO may ask to see the document for highest education level. What shall I answer if I am asked for it?

Hi guys. I'm new here. I consider myself lucky for finding this forum.
I tried to read some threads. They are very helpful.
My case no is AF12*** from Ethiopia. I have some questions.
1. Can u estimate when my interview will be?
2. I graduated from hawassa university in nursing(Bachelor). But I don't have my degree at hand because it is must to serve some years after graduation, or to pay huge amount of money to get degree in our country. I can't afford both now.
In my original eDV application and DS form I chose "university degree" as my highest education level.
But i learned from some interview experiences in this forum, it's probable that the CO may ask to see the document for highest education level. What shall I answer if I am asked for it?

- Could be January or February 2015

- Tell the truth, you don't have the certificate. In addition to telling the truth, you should probably get your Transcripts which can serve as evidence that you attended the college you've listed.

- Could be January or February 2015

- Tell the truth, you don't have the certificate. In addition to telling the truth, you should probably get your Transcripts which can serve as evidence that you attended the college you've listed.
Ok. I will tell the truth. But, for your surprise, I don't have transcript too.
The institution just assigned me to serve in one of the health posts in the country. This is the usual way here.
All correspondent made between the institution and the health post about my assignment are not available to me.
The only thing I have at hand is my assignment letter which is written in local language. Do you think it help?