• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

can someone tell us what we are going to do for health insurance until we find a job that covers...

do you guys know any health plans that we can purchase at the beginning or just stay there without insurance... I have heard lots of newcomers find very hard on this, just for a checkup they charge thousands of $, and if you dont have money to pay, it will automatically goes on your personal credit as a bad credit

thanks

can someone tell us what we are going to do for health insurance until we find a job that covers...

do you guys know any health plans that we can purchase at the beginning or just stay there without insurance... I have heard lots of newcomers find very hard on this, just for a checkup they charge thousands of $, and if you dont have money to pay, it will automatically goes on your personal credit as a bad credit

thanks

You need to separate fact from hyperbole. Yes medical attention is expensive, but you won't pay "thousands of $" just for a check up (as a reality check, I had a stay in an ER in a top upper east side clinic, I was there for a few hours, on a drip, some blood tests etc, cost $1100. Not cheap, but certainly a check up would be a lot less...)

There are plans for new immigrants but also things vary state by state according to the state insurance schemes. I'm not an expert on these yet so hopefully someone who is already there like britsimon can give more info - I just wanted to inject a dose of reality against the scare stories. It is illegal under Obamacare to not have insurance I believe, so that is not an option, and even if it were an option it would be a high risk strategy.

thanks
i think the best thing to do is work very closely to the guy who are hosting you they will be able to assist you coz different states in usa has its different rules plus theirs also obama care.....

You need to separate fact from hyperbole. Yes medical attention is expensive, but you won't pay "thousands of $" just for a check up (as a reality check, I had a stay in an ER in a top upper east side clinic, I was there for a few hours, on a drip, some blood tests etc, cost $1100. Not cheap, but certainly a check up would be a lot less...)

There are plans for new immigrants but also things vary state by state according to the state insurance schemes. I'm not an expert on these yet so hopefully someone who is already there like britsimon can give more info - I just wanted to inject a dose of reality against the scare stories. It is illegal under Obamacare to not have insurance I believe, so that is not an option, and even if it were an option it would be a high risk strategy.
dear Susie, thanks a lot for your quick reply,

if you can find those plans for new immigrants for health insurance let us know pls.

also if you know more about obamacare, pls share here...

thanksssss...

There's this amazing thing called "Google". If you type in Obamacare for new immigrants, you get results like
https://www.healthcare.gov/what-do-immigrant-families-need-to-know/
And
http://immigration.about.com/od/usvisas/a/Obamacare-Faqs-For-Immigrants.htm
And lots more.

If you think I sound a bit harsh, remember that while the US is the land of opportunity, you need to go and find those opportunities. It's not a country that holds your hand and guides you through everything, and you can't expect others to do all the legwork for you. You need to be proactive.

hii
there's somthing i can't understand in visa bulletin
my cn is AF98** and NOV up-comeing interview in AFRICA 14,200
Except:
Egypt: 6,800
is that's mean that my cn in NOV or what ? cant get it ?
and what about the letter they will send to me?why they send letters isn't e-mail good enough ?and what if i didn't get the letter ?
THX

hii
there's somthing i can't understand in visa bulletin
my cn is AF98** and NOV up-comeing interview in AFRICA 14,200
Except:
Egypt: 6,800
is that's mean that my cn in NOV or what ? cant get it ?
and what about the letter they will send to me?why they send letters isn't e-mail good enough ?and what if i didn't get the letter ?
THX

Are you from Egypt? In that case you are above the cut-off for Nov. The letter is an email telling you to check the same webpage that you was nofied about winning the lottery in.

Yes KCC did not out rightly say that, however for anyone with a low CN, DS -260 submission date matters. Someone with a low CN current in Nov who waited until late July to submit their form for instance may not get an interview letter for Nov if KCC hadn't had enough time to process their form before the VB came out.

Wish we had found this information earlier on. Current in October, submitted July 4th, so will now only be seen in December!