My parents wants to apply for citizenship, but... of course there is a but.

Anazozo

Hey everyone.
First of all, kudos for whoever run and maintain this forum. thanks a billions
My situation is as follow:
I applied to bring my parents here back in 2007. they were granted their green card in 2009. since my sister had to finish school back home and my mom had to have a back surgery they had to stay overseas for 3 years. yup 3 long years. I was worried they wont be granted any entry since they left the country all this time,but they got in. since my sister moved here in April 2013, they stayed permanently here. they go back home for 3-4 month to check on my grandma.
My dad has dementia so he can't go nowhere without my mom with him and he's 75 years old. my mom is 65 and has been studying for the exam, she's been doing good so far.

here's is the question: should they apply based on the 4 years 1 day rule, or can they provide medical document stating my parents health situation and just apply?

i would really appriciate any feedback.
thanks

If they stayed outside the US for 3 years consecutively, with not even one trip back to the US during those 3 years, and also did not have an unexpired reentry permit or SB-1 visa when they returned, they technically shouldn't have been allowed to return. Applying with that sort of history is risky, as the scrutiny of the naturalization process could result in them losing their green cards based on that 3 year gap.

If they're going to apply anyway, they should at least wait until they have a full 5 years after that long absence, to increase the chances that USCIS will ignore that 3-year gap.

Jockolantern, Thank you so much for your input.
I was hoping to avoid waiting for another 4 year until they meet the "new" 5 year requirement, but it's Ok.
in 3 years or so from now, do you believe that hiring a lawyer to assist during the interview would be a good idea or it's an easy situation once they meet the minimum requirement?

As always, any input in appreciated.