Validity of Social security number

starit1977

Hi,

I got my SSN number while I was staying in US on H1B Status, 2006. In 2009, I moved to Canada and have been living here since then. My question is - If I plan to go back to US on Work visa either TN or H1B, would I need to reapply for SSN Again or my Previous SSN is good for Lifelong?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Thanks nelsona. So just to confirm - I will not need to reapply for SSN again then? My SSN says - valid for DHS work authroization only. Not sure if this means it applies to all work visas (including TN)?
Can a candidate without having SSN still work for US employer and in parallel apply for SSN?

What does 'for life' mean to you?

To work you need work authorization, which is your TN. The SSN is NOT work authorization, but is need to properly collect taxes. There are provisions thatallow an employer to begin employing someone with work authorization but without SSN, provided they have a reciept or other document from the SSA indicating that the SSN has been applied for. Most firms prefer to wait, as it simplifies their paperwork, but they are not forbidden from employing you in the meantime.

All that annotation means is that it is not an unrestricted SSC. So, you would need proof of the right to work in addition to it. If your card had no annotation, then all you would need to work would be a state ID/DL and the SSC.