• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2015-DV selected..

How can one be able to submit multiple entries when the state department employs sophisticated technology and other means to identify individuals who submit multiple entries during the registration period. Am kind of confused, taking in to account the same face , name , address etc.

Well among the 15 million entries they get some duplicates. The fraudsters do things like change names a little, change addresses, or change the date of birth - like in your case. They also take different photographs hoping to fool the facial recognition software - so they need a photographer for that - you know, like your friend. They do all this hoping to confuse the system - and yes some of those cases might make it through the fraud checks, but the game is up when the people go for interview. Personally I hope those people are caught because there are plenty of people who want the GC and are not cheating to get it.

KCC will not advise you, they will simply tell you to discuss it with the embassy. You can proceed and take the risk of denial, or you can give up. You have to decide for yourself.

So what do I do now? should I enquire this with kcc to know how I stand

Although your DOB mistake in the DV application could have easily been an accident, the people who commit fraud in the diversity visa program do the same thing and the consular officer will be very skeptical of such a blatant mistake in the application.

The DV application is incredibly simple: name, DOB, address and photo. That's why the consular officer will be skeptical, because they are trying to filter out the fraudsters, and making a mistake like that in such a short simple application could imply the applicant submitted multiple applications with a slight difference (in DOB, address, or name).
**When you give them a reason (like the wrong DOB) they will certainly do a search of the database and look at all the applications that look similar to yours the day you go for interview**

American Law is very strict and is enforced.

Submitting multiple entries is considered cheating and automatically disqualifies you from the DV progam. They emphasize that even if other people submit the application for you, YOU the applicant is responsible for the application. They also warn against paying people to submit the application for you.

You have some options:
1. You can drop out of the process now and save your money.
2. You can continue the process, and hope a busy consular officer believes your story of DOB mistake.
3. You can continue the process, get denied, and lose your money. Plus, as Idea Mani pointed out, if you are denied for fraud, you will be banned from entering the United States for years or for life.

Last edited:
So what do I do now? should I enquire this with kcc to know how I stand
Then how do you know your DOB is wrong?

I feel, you drop out this process and try DV2016 with correct information. If you process and denied, you may not get chance to enter dv2016 or any other US visa.

Then how do you know your DOB is wrong?
Excellent question - where did you see the incorrect DOB?
Great question indeed. When AND how did you find out a wrong D.O.B was used?
Great question indeed!
In the notification letter of selection your DOB is NOT included. ANd the DV application is not retrievable once submitted. So how did you find out the wrong DOB was used?
My only explanation is you must have known the winning entry with confirmation number 2015*********** selected for you was one with an incorrect DOB. Unless you clarify with a logical explanation, your case seems very suspicious.

But at any rate, if your case seems suspicious here, it will be even more suspicious to the consular officer and the DoS who actually have access to the information/application(s) you/your photographer friend submitted.

Great question indeed!
In the notification letter of selection your DOB is NOT included. ANd the DV application is not retrievable once submitted. So how did you find out the wrong DOB was used?
My only explanation is you must have known the winning entry with confirmation number 2015*********** selected for you was one with an incorrect DOB. Unless you clarify with a logical explanation, your case seems very suspicious.

But at any rate, if your case seems suspicious here, it will be even more suspicious to the consular officer and the DoS who actually have access to the information/application(s) you/your photographer friend submitted.
This is not a mistake it is done on purpose, I am sure that you have entered multiple entry in DV2015 to get selected.

like I told you guys earlier, the process was done for me by my photographer friend so I had idea about this. In my country when the dv registration period comes closer photographers go to public places such as schools, colleges, churches and even on the streets taking photos and basic information of Interested persons since there is a lack of access to fast Internet facilities and also the ones that are available are expensive, you'll have to pay 5,000 Le which is around 1 u.s dollar for 1 hour in an Internet cafe so you see.These guys take this opportunity to freely apply for people and hold on to there CN so in case they win they'll contact them and ask for money before giving them there CN. That was what happen in my case I had no previous idea about yhis.

like I told you guys earlier, the process was done for me by my photographer friend so I had idea about this. In my country when the dv registration period comes closer photographers go to public places such as schools, colleges, churches and even on the streets taking photos and basic information of Interested persons since there is a lack of access to fast Internet facilities and also the ones that are available are expensive, you'll have to pay 5,000 Le which is around 1 u.s dollar for 1 hour in an Internet cafe so you see.These guys take this opportunity to freely apply for people and hold on to there CN so in case they win they'll contact them and ask for money before giving them there CN. That was what happen in my case I had no previous idea about yhis.

Yep understood. What you describe is a type of scam, but the victim is you. Because if you win (as you have) the photographer is able to withold the winning details until you pay his additional fees. The American government publish lots of advice about avoiding such scams, but nevertheless you are responsible for your entry. AAs described before you are going to have to make a decision about whether to proceed or not.

You got scammed in a bad way. Go back, collect your money from this guy and try again on your own.

If paying $1 for an hour of internet time (more than enough time to submit the application) is expensive to you, how do you expect to pay the medicals (often close to $200), DV fee of $330, USCIS fee of $165, and plane tickets, much less have enough to start you off in the US?

Yep understood. What you describe is a type of scam, but the victim is you. Because if you win (as you have) the photographer is able to withold the winning details until you pay his additional fees. The American government publish lots of advice about avoiding such scams, but nevertheless you are responsible for your entry. AAs described before you are going to have to make a decision about whether to proceed or not.
You got scammed in a bad way. Go back, collect your money from this guy and try again on your own.
If paying $1 for an hour of internet time (more than enough time to submit the application) is expensive to you, how do you expect to pay the medicals (often close to $200), DV fee of $330, USCIS fee of $165, and plane tickets, much less have enough to start you off in the US?

@jesminaj 's situation of having someone apply for you is very common in Sub-Saharan Africa. I have seen a lot of internet cafe's, photographers, and so called 'agents' (I'll refer to all as agents in the rest of the post) apply for a bunch of people in the hopes of getting a small percentage of them to pay when they get selected. It has worked out well for so many people - mostly in Kenya - and they normally don't have problems. But every once in a while someone's name is wrongly written on the initial application or the d.o.b is messed up, just like it is with @jesminaj ...
Before continuing, I’d like to state the obvious; in Africa or Uganda where I come from, everyone wants to go America (at least most people do) and they will take the first opportunity they get to go and most are even willing to pay some money to realize their dream.
As we all know, entry into the DV lotto is free for all, as long as you have internet access. But why do people in Africa pay for something they could do for themselves for free or at minimal cost? There are several reasons for this; I'll highlight some in order of priority;

1/ ignorance ... most of the so called high school graduates in Africa have no clue on what's happening in the world (the internet revolution) let alone how to use a computer... I know this because I was one of them. I never used a computer until I got into engineering school.
2/ reading is not our (most Africans) strongest trait…in Africa, we/most of us do not like anything to do with reading… And as we all know, there’re pages and pages of instructions on DV applications and picture specs, etc. So even folks who have some scanty knowledge about the DV and have internet access will opt to letting someone else submit their applications since they’re either not willing or don’t have time to read the instructions.
3/ we (most Africans) are lazy … we always take the shortest and fastest route….the lottery applications takes some work. First, you have to read and understand the instructions, then go take a picture - in a professional studio - that is to the required specs, then you go back to the internet café to upload your application… and you also have to keep tabs on the application period.. This is a much longer process as compared to letting the café guy do it for you, all in one go (they are at it all year round btw).
4/ Skepticism about the whole green card (DV) lottery due to internet scammers. Not sure if any of you has ever received those “you've been selected in the green card lottery. Send us this $450 for further processing” emails. But lots of people get them. This and the lack of information added to the fact that most don’t read, makes them assume the DV lottery is one of those that request for $450 dollars… now, that sum might seem okayishhh to some folks but it is an arm and leg in Africa. To put it into perspective, doctors (MD) working for government in Uganda are paid around $450/month. So when someone is given an option of “you only pay when you've been selected”, they’ll take it.

There’s more but I’ll cut it short at this point and put forth my advice to @jesminaj
I do not think they (the agents) submit double entries for people. I don’t think they did for @jesminaj … They mess up the information because they have so many people to apply for and sometimes lose track on who is who. Which I think is what happened in your case @jesminaj

This is what I think you should do:
Write an email clearly stating what happened. You tell them that the agent messed your information up and put down the wrong DOB while submitting the initial application for you. State what your correct D.O.B is and also attach a copy of your birth Certificate on the email. Send the email to KCC and send the same email to the diversity visa unit at us embassy where you’ll be processing your dv from. Please quote your case number and all the necessary information while sending out the communication.
The embassy will advise you on the way forward. I believe they will tell you to go ahead with the process and when you get there for the interview, they will ask questions about this whole thing. So make sure you know the agent’s name and details. Also, if the embassy tells you to proceed, make sure you take with you a copy of the email and an affidavit. Be honest about everything.

Good luck!

@jesminaj 's situation of having someone apply for you is very common in Sub-Saharan Africa. I have seen a lot of internet cafe's, photographers, and so called 'agents' (I'll refer to all as agents in the rest of the post) apply for a bunch of people in the hopes of getting a small percentage of them to pay when they get selected. It has worked out well for so many people - mostly in Kenya - and they normally don't have problems. But every once in a while someone's name is wrongly written on the initial application or the d.o.b is messed up, just like it is with @jesminaj ...
Before continuing, I’d like to state the obvious; in Africa or Uganda where I come from, everyone wants to go America (at least most people do) and they will take the first opportunity they get to go and most are even willing to pay some money to realize their dream.
As we all know, entry into the DV lotto is free for all, as long as you have internet access. But why do people in Africa pay for something they could do for themselves for free or at minimal cost? There are several reasons for this; I'll highlight some in order of priority;

1/ ignorance ... most of the so called high school graduates in Africa have no clue on what's happening in the world (the internet revolution) let alone how to use a computer... I know this because I was one of them. I never used a computer until I got into engineering school.
2/ reading is not our (most Africans) strongest trait…in Africa, we/most of us do not like anything to do with reading… And as we all know, there’re pages and pages of instructions on DV applications and picture specs, etc. So even folks who have some scanty knowledge about the DV and have internet access will opt to letting someone else submit their applications since they’re either not willing or don’t have time to read the instructions.
3/ we (most Africans) are lazy … we always take the shortest and fastest route….the lottery applications takes some work. First, you have to read and understand the instructions, then go take a picture - in a professional studio - that is to the required specs, then you go back to the internet café to upload your application… and you also have to keep tabs on the application period.. This is a much longer process as compared to letting the café guy do it for you, all in one go (they are at it all year round btw).
4/ Skepticism about the whole green card (DV) lottery due to internet scammers. Not sure if any of you has ever received those “you've been selected in the green card lottery. Send us this $450 for further processing” emails. But lots of people get them. This and the lack of information added to the fact that most don’t read, makes them assume the DV lottery is one of those that request for $450 dollars… now, that sum might seem okayishhh to some folks but it is an arm and leg in Africa. To put it into perspective, doctors (MD) working for government in Uganda are paid around $450/month. So when someone is given an option of “you only pay when you've been selected”, they’ll take it.

There’s more but I’ll cut it short at this point and put forth my advice to @jesminaj
I do not think they (the agents) submit double entries for people. I don’t think they did for @jesminaj … They mess up the information because they have so many people to apply for and sometimes lose track on who is who. Which I think is what happened in your case @jesminaj

Write an email clearly stating what happened. You tell them that the agent messed your information up and put down the wrong DOB while submitting the initial application for you. State what your correct D.O.B is and also attach a copy of your birth Certificate on the email. Send the email to KCC and send the same email to the diversity visa unit at us embassy where you’ll be processing your dv from. Please quote your case number and all the necessary information while sending out the communication.
The embassy will advise you on the way forward. I believe they will tell you to go ahead with the process and when you get there for the interview, they will ask questions about this whole thing. So make sure you know the agent’s name and details. Also, if the embassy tells you to proceed, make sure you take with you a copy of the email and an affidavit. Be honest about everything.

Good luck!

Within the first two sentences you described something "that worked well" but in fact is fraudulent and illegal activity. The problem continues because people (like you have) confuse this as being a "service". It isn't a service it is a scam. The agents apply for people hoping some of them win and then withholding the critical winning information until they are paid a fee. THAT IS FRAUD (pecuniary advantage).

In many cases the entrants don't know their details were entered on their behalf, so if they enter themselves they are disqualified. Or if (as in this case) incorrect information can disqualify someone, who of course won't know that until he has paid the agent, the medicals, and the lottery fee. So - let's not pretend this is somehow "OK" - it isn't. It may be the way things are done in third world countries but that is exactly why AF region countries have high levels of denials and AP - because fraud, cheating and lying is considered "normal". Again - it isn't.

Good luck!

I think Simon's response said it all re the scam aspect.
However while you quoted me you didn't address the issue I raised, which is how someone says $1 is too expensive to spend on the Internet time but plans to find the hundreds of dollars necessary to attend the interview much less anything else... Oh and they somehow manage to be able to afford to come on here despite intnet being so expensive?

Also your suggestion might work ...except that the embassy never tells you to proceed or not proceed, they only tell you that only a consular official can decide. So jesminaj, not willing to spend $1 on internet time, will have to spend probably over $500 for a consular official to point out that what she has done goes against all the warnings in the instructions (about not letting a third party do it especially for cash, being sure all info is correct even if you do etc) and then probably get denied because with such a different date of birth it will be impossible to prove she is the same person on the entry.
Meanwhile the "photographer" goes on making money out of gullible people and ruining their dreams. I hope she at least reports the person to the U.S. consulate, as they always ask for scams to be reported to them.