FAFSA Financial Aid

memo

Registered Users (C)
Does anybody know if a student who is on a "recommended for approval status" is eligible for FAFSA financial aid at school or not?

Does anybody know if a student who is on a "recommended for approval status" is eligible for FAFSA financial aid at school or not?

No.

The FAFSA application processor automatically matches your alien number against the DHS list of eligible aliens. For people with pending asylum cases (recommended approvals are still pending cases) the matching result will come back negative.

The good news is that he will be eligible as soon as the approval is final.

Is FAFSA considered public Assistance?

I wonder if it is considered public assistance eventhough you have to pay for the loan. Is not a Grant or any thing like that. Reason I ask i because you have to specify any "Public Assistance" in part 3 of the I-485.

I wonder if it is considered public assistance eventhough you have to pay for the loan. Is not a Grant or any thing like that. Reason I ask i because you have to specify any "Public Assistance" in part 3 of the I-485.

Federal Financial Aid is NOT public assistance.

BTW, for asylees, receiving public assistance does not matter (but again student aid is not public assistance).

By the way, FAFSA can get grants--Pell Grants and the SEOG--which you do not have to pay back.

No.

The FAFSA application processor automatically matches your alien number against the DHS list of eligible aliens. For people with pending asylum cases (recommended approvals are still pending cases) the matching result will come back negative.

The good news is that he will be eligible as soon as the approval is final.

I got an update on my fafsa and it says that the department of homeland security didn't have enough information to confirm that I'm an elegible non-citizen. I got granted asylum last April! I contacted the financial aid office of my school and she didn't have any clue... I left I message with the director :confused: I don't have an I-94 stamped with "asylum granted" since I came here first with a tourist visa, but that is what the website says you have to show. I just got the final document of approval from the immigration judge. Has anyone been in a similar situation??

well,
i applied FAFSA right after i got my GC and i got approved.But i had a friend in school who got approved b4 he got his GC while he was in asylee status.

I have been an asylee since 2004, and I am still an asylee as of today. I have applied for FAFSA every year with no problems at all.
It usually takes a few days, but then DHS confirms that I am an elegible non-citizen.

I got an update on my fafsa and it says that the department of homeland security didn't have enough information to confirm that I'm an elegible non-citizen. I got granted asylum last April! I contacted the financial aid office of my school and she didn't have any clue... I left I message with the director :confused: I don't have an I-94 stamped with "asylum granted" since I came here first with a tourist visa, but that is what the website says you have to show. I just got the final document of approval from the immigration judge. Has anyone been in a similar situation??

What is the exact message on the FAFSA output document?

Typically if the first electronic match is not succcessful, there will be a second one against more DHS data.

Was this the first or second match attempt?

What was the letter code on your SAR report?

What is the exact message on the FAFSA output document?

Typically if the first electronic match is not succcessful, there will be a second one against more DHS data.

Was this the first or second match attempt?

What was the letter code on your SAR report?

I think this is the first attempt. I don't see any codes, it is just under "SAR comments"

"The Department of Homeland Security did not have enough information to
confirm that you are an eligible non- citizen (Item 14). You must contact the
financial aid office at your school to find out what information is needed. If
you do not submit the required information within 30 days, or longer if your
school allows, you may not be eligible for federal student aid."

Ok. So its simple. Just go to the Financial Aid Office of your school, show them whatever immigration doucments you have and they will copy them and if you are elegible they will update their records and grant the aid.

Ok. So its simple. Just go to the Financial Aid Office of your school, show them whatever immigration doucments you have and they will copy them and if you are elegible they will update their records and grant the aid.

Thanks! I should do that :eek:

my wife got financial aid from a college in ny when she was a derivative asylee, she went to the office with a i 94 card stamped as a deivative asylee

and she applied and got financial aid

Great information! Many students rely on financial aid and scholarship opportunities to help manage college costs, including tuition, fees and books. However, I have heard that the federal government introduced its new "shopping sheet" financial aid form on Tuesday, July 24. The feds say that the brand new form will make student loan shopping more clear and understandable. The Obama Administration is entreating the nation's colleges and university to make the form regular by the 2013-2014 school terms.

i started to get my financial aid as soon as i got my asylee status. Now i have gc and its all going fine. as long as you got necessary documents you shouldnt have any problem

i started to get my financial aid as soon as i got my asylee status. Now i have gc and its all going fine. as long as you got necessary documents you shouldnt have any problem

Efekar I have a very familiar case as yours, how can I contact you to get some information about the process you have been through?