Leaving US temporarily while asylum (i589) pending

gtaid1

Registered Users (C)
I just want to know what is the process for leaving US and being able to come back while asylum application is still pending?

I know I need to file some forms but I don't know which forms exactly and in which order. All I know is that I need to get travel document/advance parole before leaving US. How to do that though?

Hmm, I'm not sure you can leave. The travel document, AFAIK, is for people who've been granted asylum, and advance parole is for those adjusting status after that.

But here it says asylum applicants can also file
http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/travel-documents

well, I'm confused now! Can I file or not?
You can go ahead and file. They may even accept and let you travel. However note that they may not let you back in..... In this country everyone has options as opposed to being oppressed.... You decide if you're willing to risk the uncertainty that comes with re-entry. When you haven't completed your process

Yeah, you're right. It looks like you CAN apply for AP. I didn't realise.

However, depending on the circumstances of your asylum claim, and whether or not you have ever overstayed, re-entry might not be straightforward.

It'd be nice if someone who has done this before gives us an account of his/her experience.

Yes, that's why I asked. It's confusing cause I can't file online. It doesn't have i-589 pending option and I don't know this link I posted might be old.
PLEASE if anyone has ever filed for AP with i-589 pending help me. Thanks.

Again, I am telling you, stay in usa until your case is approved. My point is even when you are approved, you ll most of the time be sent to secondary inspection. the immigration officer can decide, based on some fact, not to let you in, and there is nothing you can do about it.
but this is a free country. it is your call.