• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

:/ I was just googling what I need to do after I receive my GC on mail. Of course change my SSN card (btw I just go there with GC and ask to issue a new one without EAD notice on it and They do it for free?) but I saw every man between 18-26 has to register in selective service... I was born 1989 in February, do I still really need to register or is already my 26th year going and I don't need to? If I have to because I jump into age frame, can I pass and not register...? I don't want end up in military services somewhere ;'((((

Glad the expedite worked for you. My FO were unimpressed by the expedite (although to be fair our IO has been very impressive today - he has phoned us twice today, first to wrap up the case and 2nd to let us know the case was approved and secure.

Sir Percy was my nick when I got banned for a while (accidentally banned). The nick was from the character in The Scarlet Pimpernel - https://www.google.com/search?q=scarlet Pimpernel&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_IwGVM_NJsbwiwL094GQDg&ved=0CEoQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1099

Sounds great! Hope we can also meet a nice IO,
then got approved soon!

:/ I was just googling what I need to do after I receive my GC on mail. Of course change my SSN card (btw I just go there with GC and ask to issue a new one without EAD notice on it and They do it for free?) but I saw every man between 18-26 has to register in selective service... I was born 1989 in February, do I still really need to register or is already my 26th year going and I don't need to? If I have to because I jump into age frame, can I pass and not register...? I don't want end up in military services somewhere ;'((((

If you are in the age bracket, you are required to register. I don't know about your birthday specifically, but for any others reading this, this is NOT OPTIONAL if you want a green card.
Additionally if you do not register when you were supposed to you will have a major problem if you try to naturalise one day. It is a grounds for refusal.

No-one has been drafted (conscripted) in the US since the Vietnam war so it's a really stupid reason to jeopardize citizenship. Again, kukilaska, I don't know the specifics of your birthday and if you have to, but you need to recognise you have been granted a great privilege of a green card and this has certain responsibilities coming with it. Obeying the law, and this is part of the law, is the main one.

Last edited:
If you are in the age bracket, you are required to register. I don't know about your birthday specifically, but for any others reading this, this is NOT OPTIONAL if you want a green card.
Additionally if you do not register when you were supposed to you will have a major problem if you try to naturalise one day. It is a grounds for refusal.

No-one has been drafted (conscripted) in the US since the Vietnam war so it's a really stupid reason to jeopardize citizenship. Again, kukilaska, I don't know the specifics of your birthday and if you have to, but you need to recognise you have been granted a great privilege of a green card and this has certain responsibilities coming with it. Obeying the law, and this is part of the law, is the main one.
Oh... So I have to register... But like You said probably for 99% I will not be drafted :).

Hey guys,

I just got a response for my FBI name check.
It says: We completed a name check request for USCIS on your name on 8/21/14. You will have to reach out to USCIS for the status of your application.
This means that the name check was completed 4 days before my interview but the IO still could not see the result in the system. I am going to call USCIS right now. Any comment is greatly appreciated!

Hey guys,

I just got a response for my FBI name check.
It says: We completed a name check request for USCIS on your name on 8/21/14. You will have to reach out to USCIS for the status of your application.
This means that the name check was completed 4 days before my interview but the IO still could not see the result in the system. I am going to call USCIS right now. Any comment is greatly appreciated!

Yeah, go ahead and give them a call. Request to speak with an IO/L2 officer once the front line rep finish giving you their standard spill. You should also go ahead and book an infopass if you haven't booked one already or attempt a walk in at an FO to share that email response with them.

Like Susie already posted, selective service registration is not optional for anyone who falls within the listed age brackets, especially for a LPR with plans of acquiring citizenship. In your case they will most likely send back a response that you've aged out once you register. But you should still go ahead and fill out the registration form, you will need to show that response whenever you're asked if you registered for selective service or not. So don't delay, go online and register once you get your GC (it's not like you need the plastic GC to register, I only added that because I know you're anxiously waiting to receive the card on order to be convinced you're truly a GC holder).

Yeah, go ahead and give them a call. Request to speak with an IO/L2 officer once the front line rep finish giving you their standard spill. You should also go ahead and book an infopass if you haven't booked one already or attempt a walk in at an FO to share that email response with them.
I can't believe that USCIS's incompetence was the pure reason for my pending case status! :mad: Luckily I have an infopass appointment scheduled for the coming Monday. Wish me luck...

I can't believe that USCIS's incompetence was the pure reason for my pending case status! :mad: Luckily I have an infopass appointment scheduled for the coming Monday. Wish me luck...

Mommad, when you go for infopass, don't forget to have a printed copy of the "response" from FBI that you have received. Try to meet the officer who actually did your interview. The guys siting in Infopass booth are not necessarily helpful (at least it was true about my case, it never showed any progress till I caught the IO who interviewed me in the corridor).
Good luck and keep us posted.

See I told you so! Philadelphia FO isn't as good as it should be.

I checked KCC this morning to ask if my file has been requested. At first the answer was no. Then she checked again to find out it was requested THIS MORNING. What? It is supposed to be requested last Thursday and here we are. Philadelphia FO must be trippin'

See I told you so! Philadelphia FO isn't as good as it should be.

I checked KCC this morning to ask if my file has been requested. At first the answer was no. Then she checked again to find out it was requested THIS MORNING. What? It is supposed to be requested last Thursday and here we are. Philadelphia FO must be trippin'

Grrrrrr - at least they have finally requested it - hopefully KCC will turn that round fast!

It took me more than an hour for the call to be transferred to a L2 IO. She asked what she can do for me and I told her about the background check results. She asked where my interview was done and then asked if it is OK to put me on hold since she needs to make a phone call about my case. After a few minutes she apologized for the delay and said that she emailed Philly FO and gave me a receipt number for the email and said that I should wait for a response from them and it could take up to two weeks! I hope the infopass on Monday is more useful than this call. Any suggestion on what I should do in my infopass?

It took me more than an hour for the call to be transferred to a L2 IO. She asked what she can do for me and I told her about the background check results. She asked where my interview was done and then asked if it is OK to put me on hold since she needs to make a phone call about my case. After a few minutes she apologized for the delay and said that she emailed Philly FO and gave me a receipt number for the email and said that I should wait for a response from them and it could take up to two weeks! I hope the infopass on Monday is more useful than this call. Any suggestion on what I should do in my infopass?
Straightforward. You just need to ask them if they have received your BG clearance.

If yes: Ask them what's holding the final decision.
If no: show them the email/letter from FBI and ask them if they can make a decision today.

Either way, remind them about them about the Sept 30th deadline and limited visa quantity.

Like Susie already posted, selective service registration is not optional for anyone who falls within the listed age brackets, especially for a LPR with plans of acquiring citizenship. In your case they will most likely send back a response that you've aged out once you register. But you should still go ahead and fill out the registration form, you will need to show that response whenever you're asked if you registered for selective service or not. So don't delay, go online and register once you get your GC (it's not like you need the plastic GC to register, I only added that because I know you're anxiously waiting to receive the card on order to be convinced you're truly a GC holder).
Thank You! I will.
Yes You right! It's always better to touch it and have it on hand :D!

Mom,

I received today the EAD. I applied for Employment Authorization as well when filing for AOS. I recall you mentioning that it will probably not add much value if you receive a green card so my question to you is what do I do with that ?

Mom,

I received today the EAD. I applied for Employment Authorization as well when filing for AOS. I recall you mentioning that it will probably not add much value if you receive a green card so my question to you is what do I do with that ?

Take it with you to your interview. The IO is supposed to collect it once they're certain your case will be approved, but some forget to ask for it. If you're not asked to hand it over, you simply keep it as a souvenir or use it as a dog-tag if you like ;). What I'm trying to say is it becomes useless once you have your GC.

Take it with you to your interview. The IO is supposed to collect it once they're certain your case will be approved, but some forget to ask for it. If you're not asked to hand it over, you simply keep it as a souvenir or use it as a dog-tag if you like ;). What I'm trying to say is it becomes useless once you have your GC.

My IO didn't take mine away because my case hasn't been approved yet. Can't wait to get my GC and make it a dog tag :)

I was thinking it is not a bad idea to try to get things started at my FO before attending my infopass appointment! @wreck_it_ralph you said you called Philly FO before. Do they offer customer services like this by phone? Second option would be calling my congress person to place an expedite request. I feel like I should keep the second option for later, in case I don't get a definite answer from my infopass. What do you guys think?

Last edited: