Best Practices for applying for Naturalization

goodguy1200

Here are few best practices for applying for Naturalization

(1) File only after 5 years of getting Green Card.

Reason -> Within 5 years of giving green card, USCIS can rescind your green card very easily if they find that you were given a green card by mistake. After 5 years, the process is cumbersome for USCIS and they have to take you to courts.

(2) File after 6 years if you expect any question about not sticking with original employer before, during or after getting green card.

(3) File after at least 7 years if you have any minor criminal issue. 7 years allows you to file for Cancellation of Removal

(4) Reopen your old criminal cases under any ground and get sentenced under different statute. Do not plead guilty or No contest. Keep any possible resentencing under 6 months.

Grounds for reopening - If your old criminal attorney or judge did not tell you about immigration consequences of your guilty plea, this is a valid ground.

(5) Attorneys are very expensive but you may have to consult them.

(6) Look for a sample RFE template. I am not an attorney but I made my own 20 page RFE response.
I will be glad to guide if someone needs any help.

(7) Always keep your mailing address updated with USCIS so that you do not miss any notices. Now physical address and mailing address are different.

Last edited:
I am going through the N400 process right now. Can you message you a few questions? Thanks.

Sure, you can send a private message.

If you prefer, we can talk and I will be glad to share whatever I have learned.

Here are few best practices for applying for Naturalization

(1) File only after 5 years of getting Green Card.

Reason -> Within 5 years of giving green card, USCIS can rescind your green card very easily if they find that you were given a green card by mistake. After 5 years, the process is cumbersome for USCIS and they have to take you to courts.

(2) File after 6 years if you expect any question about not sticking with original employer before, during or after getting green card.

(3) File after at least 7 years if you have any minor criminal issue. 7 years allows you to file for Cancellation of Removal

(4) Reopen your old criminal cases under any ground and get sentenced under different statute. Do not plead guilty or No contest. Keep any possible resentencing under 6 months.

Grounds for reopening - If your old criminal attorney or judge did not tell you about immigration consequences of your guilty plea, this is a valid ground.

(5) Attorneys are very expensive but you may have to consult them.

(6) Look for a sample RFE template. I am not an attorney but I made my own 20 page RFE response.
I will be glad to guide if someone needs any help.

(7) Always keep your mailing address updated with USCIS so that you do not miss any notices. Now physical address and mailing address are different.

Hi goodguy:
Both myself and my wife got green cards through our son about 15 years back and I became naturalized 10 years back. All these years we remain married. Now we want to apply for naturalization for my wife. Is the PR requirement 3 or 5 years. If it is 3 years, can we start applyingafter 2 years and 1 day? Kindly reply.
Satyanarayana Nukala

3 years is for PRs who have a US citizen spouse. It needs more documentation.

5 years is for PRs who do not have a US citizen spouse. It requires less documentation.

Your spouse qualifies on both counts. So apply on 5 year basis.