Parents GC - Question on I-864

gc_man

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
In process of my wife's Parent's GC. My wife has already gotten I-130 approved. Question on I-864 (Affidavit of support):

1. Her income is sufficient for meeting the poverty guidelines. Do I still include my income to make it better than minimum needed?
2. How much more than minimum is "Good".
3. Both of us file our taxes joint, so how do we provide the taxable income in the form I-864?

Anyone who has done this recently can help, will be great.

Thanks in advance

The I-864 has different income questions, which can have legitimately different answers.

1. Income on the tax return: This number is to be copied as is from the tax return, even if it's a joint return and the combined income is not being used towards the I-864.

2. Individual income: The sponsor's individual income, without adding in the spouse's income or income from anybody else in the household.

3. Total household income: This can be more than just the two spouses, if other qualified individuals have signed an I-864A. This may also exclude the spouse of the sponsor, if that spouse is not filing I-864A and is otherwise not pledging support on the I-864.