My mother's Interview experience - Please help!

hanimi

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

My mother is over 71 years old and she went for the N-400 interview yesterday at Chicago DO office. My brother-in-law went with her and requested if he could accompany her. The IO, a lady officer in her late 40's said 'No'. But, we saw many people accompanying with the candidates.
Anyways, my mother went in at 12:15 PM (She was scheduled at 11:05 AM) . It seems that initially, everything went on well - She had to do her oath and sat down and gave her GC and passport. Then the IO asked 6 questions - my mother answered them all.
1. What is supreme law of the land?
2. Who wrote constitution?
3. When was constitution written?
4. What is your state Capital?
5. Name 2 wars we fought in 1900's?
6. Who did US fight in World war II?

Then, IO said congratulations - you passed your US History and Civic test.

My mom said since her FP did not go through well, she had certificates from police department (from our town and county) and the IO said 'Oh that is good' and took them and put them in the file.

Then, she took her application and was going through the application. My mother said that she is came from a small village in India and did only little bit of schooling and never had to read English in school etc and also she has been so depressed as my father died about a few months back, so that the IO would be easy on those 'Yes/No' questions as my mom is not really comfortable but she knew answers well enough for those 'No' as she knew the meaning in our native language. She also knew 'Yes' for those questions like respect to flag, support US Govt etc. The IO went through first few pages, went through my dad's name, their wedding date, where and when he died etc. She was satisfied and finally went to these 'Yes/No' questions. She was asking all these one by one and asking the meaning for each one of them, asking my mom to explain as she was telling 'No' to these questions. I think, when she came to Q 15, she asked about violence and my mom said no. IO asked her to explain what is violence and what is crime and wanted a few examples. My mother said she is not involved in violence and in any crime and she is always like to be peaceful. But she insisted meanings and examples. Then, my mom said fighting, killing etc but she wanted more explanations and finally, she gave her N-652 where she checked the first box - You passed the Test of English and US History and Government. and 4th one on the form - You will be given another opportunity to be tested on your ability to speak and understand English. and finally a check box on B - A Decision cannot be made about your application

I waited for the officer and spoke with her to know what exactly happened. She said that my mom was able to communicate but not able to express properly some of the meanings and definitions etc. I couldn't understand what she was up to as she gave N-652 and mentioned that she passed the test of English and US History and Government and the again saying that she would be given another opportunity to be tested to speak and understand English, which is contradicting.
It seems that my mom would be called again for interview to test in English and these 'Yes/No' questions after 60 days.
Do you know anyone had this kind of experience? I do not understand what a 72 year old lady would do after mastering English - they expect her run for any federal office or work on important Govt projects?
Can we write to our senator and request him to look into this? What do you guys suggest? Please help us!

Thanks

Do you know anyone had this kind of experience?

I heard second-hand expeirence a person who already got oath tletter was pull off oath ceremony for the reason about poor English.
He let other read oath letter and checked answers on oath letter. The person who helped him answer Yes to "divorce question"
without knowing the question is about period after interview. But at oath ceremony, USCIS saw teh answer and
asked him to provide divorce ducumentc etc and he could not understand. It seems the USCIS realized what is the case
and knew this divorce occurred before interview and was already take care of during interview. But USCIS saw
he could not commmnicate well and thus did not let him take oath

The bottomline: Passing Engkisg reading and writing is not enough for USCIS to accept applicants English proficiency

I CAN ONLY SAY..........SPIT ON THEM.......THEY ARE LOOSERS..............SERIOUSLY......I mean after certain age who would be interested to learn english..............as I know how it feel's after loosing husband.........as my mother did too.

Considering the fact, that some of the USCIS customer representative are chinese and can't understand a simple english..............as i have experienced in my last call................bullies.....why don't they first recruit such people who can commnunicate well............for THEIR OWN USCIS.

I hope she gets her interview again and clears our without this kind of jumbles by uscis...............if not, i would suggest to contact a good attorney.

KC

Last edited by a moderator:
I would contact a good local attorney BEFORE her second interview. You want her to pass this interview, not get denied and then have to deal with appealing the denial.

Senators probably won't get involved here as it would appear that they are interfering in the decision making process and that never looks good on a Politician's resume.

If your mom feels that she may not be able to handle this ion her own, your best bet is to get a local attorney.

(Also, tell your mom not to volunteer information like 'she's not really comfortable with English' the next time around. No sense in giving the IO any more information than they actually need)

Good Luck

Thank you guys! I will consult some local attorneys before she goes for her interview again. Any idea who are good attorneys in Naperville/Chicago, IL area?

Thanks

Thank you guys! I will consult some local attorneys before she goes for her interview again. Any idea who are good attorneys in Naperville/Chicago, IL area?

Thanks

Do you mind sharing your mom's second citizenship interview experience? My mom is 75 and just ran into the exact same situation at her first interview yesterday. Thank you!