Reschedule I-485 interview due to overseas travel

fish4all

Registered Users (C)
Appreciate any advices and suggestions please.
I have I-485 GC (marriage based) AOS interview in a month. Applied in March and interview call came in 6 months ie Sep. I already have EAD/Adv parole card. Unfortunately, my air tickets are booked and I'm traveling overseas next week for 1.5 months (due to mother's illness) and will not be able to attend the interview. My questions are:

1) What are the consequences of rescheduling in my case? How tough it will be? (I have proof of booked tickets).
2) What is the best way to reschedule it, through 1-800 number given in interview letter or walk-in to the local office? I'm not able to get info pass for local office as the earliest date available is after 2 weeks (I'm flying out next week).
3) Should I travel back to US for interview and then will it be easy to go back immediately to my country? (My EAD/Adv Parole may be taken back by interviewer plus it is going to cost me a lot for another travel).
4) If everything goes well, when do they dispatch the GC?

Pls provide your expert comments on the above. Thank you so much for your time.

DO NOT reschedule the interview. They are very bad at processing interview rescheduling for green cards, and will often deny people's I-485 for not showing up for the interview. Then you'll have to pay money to file a motion to reopen and wait weeks or months for them to reinstate your case.

Even worse is that you're traveling out of the country, so you could find yourself unable to reenter the US with Advance Parole if they deny your case while you're abroad.

If you already had a green card and the upcoming interview was for US citizenship, it might have been worth the risk to reschedule, as you'll still have your green card if they deny your citizenship application for failing to show up at the interview. But denial of your I-485 would cause you to lose your legal status (unless you have another status like H1B or L1), forcing you to fight to reinstate it and possibly screwing up employment opportunities and other plans while your status is in limbo.

Thank you so much for your advice. No I don't have any other status. Suppose, I travel back to US just for interview and want to travel again to my country, then can I fly back easily right after interview? As to receive GC in mail will take time but is there any possibility that I'm allowed to travel immediately after interview?

Yes, you can return to the US just for the interview and leave again immediately after the interview. If they ask for your Advance Parole at the interview, make sure to resist that request and tell them you're going to leave the US again soon.

Thank you Jack for your valuable comments. It is tough and costing me a lot to cut the journey short plus I'm scared what if I can't travel back immediately. I've decided to visit local field office and explain my situation as I'm unable to get info pass at this short notice. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

In any case if he is approved, he should get the stamp before leaving the immigration office. the Advance parole is no longer needed if his status is Permanent resident.
He doesnt have to keep it with him pretending he is travelling.

In any case if he is approved, he should get the stamp before leaving the immigration office. the Advance parole is no longer needed if his status is Permanent resident.
He doesnt have to keep it with him pretending he is travelling.

Sometimes they want to take away the AP and other documents at the end of the interview even if they aren't giving an official approval on the spot. So it's important to try to hold on to the AP anyway, unless they clearly state that they are officially (not just verbally) approving the case and will provide an I-551 stamp immediately.