• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

True,I also gain a lot from your invaluable experience and without asking questions or making such suggestions I may never know the truth.FORGIVE my ignorance.My final question and whose answer I will oblige to.If indeed sharing my personal opinion is misleading I better be a participant in reading and digesting members post without sharing mine.I am new to the forum and need to know,understand and follow the ETHICS & PRACTICES guiding this forum.I kindly request for the deletion of my post which are misleading.Am very sorry

True,I also gain a lot from your invaluable experience and without asking questions or making such suggestions I may never know the truth.FORGIVE my ignorance.My final question and whose answer I will oblige to.If indeed sharing my personal opinion is misleading I better be a participant in reading and digesting members post without sharing mine.I am new to the forum and need to know,understand and follow the ETHICS & PRACTICES guiding this forum.I kindly request for the deletion of my post which are misleading.Am very sorry

Don't get us, or should I say 'me', wrong, this is not an exclusive or elitist forum. We're interested in everybody contributing to the best of their capability, at least I am! The more people contribute the less stressful helping out is on the few that are constantly responding to all the questions being posted.

All we're asking is for anyone responding to a posted question to have the appropriate knowledge or understanding before proffering a response, it could be in the form of having read the guidelines, policies or personally knowing of others who have gone through the experience and making suggestions based on this first hand knowledge (not a case of I know someone who knows someone who knows someone ..... Or I heard from someone ..... Get my drift?

So again, feel free to post. You can post you personal opinion, we all do, just make sure they're inline with the policies guiding the DV process.

Thank you my name sake,DV 2015 aside,which to me is new and I have nothing concrete to share,the rest ( DV 2014-DV 2003 is REAL experience,I live in the outskirt of the capital of Kenya( Nairobi) and as I said ,I have in the past 10 years operated a computer college cum Digital center/Internet cyber cafe,and each year since 2003 in the month of October about 500 applicants come here to apply and I had earlier said I normally charge kshs 100 or 1$ for singles and 2$ for families.This is to cater for the use of my facility.Come May and over 10 people get selected from my joint every year.I witness different cases but has always abhorred anyone contemplating Lying or using fraudulent ways.Example two people ( boyfriend and girlfriend) who were planning to marry requested me to apply for them in October, but they decided to apply as singles (separate)come May 2011 and the lady won,the lady included the partner and on the interview day, both are disqualified(lack of proof of arranged marriage)I had however requested them to go it safe since they didn't have proof that the marriage was not arranged for the purpose of Interview and some cases after going safe(postponed),the pairs have finally married,petitioned and although I don't have knowledge about petition they have later on landed in the USA.i I were to mention first hand experience I have dozen.Currently I know a lady who won the 2015 but has since postponed.But I have never persuaded any one,just sharing of thoughts.

Last edited:
Thank you my name sake,DV 2015 aside,which to me is new and I have nothing concrete to share,the rest ( DV 2014-DV 2003 is REAL experience,I live in the outskirt of the capital of Kenya( Nairobi) and as I said ,I have in the past 10 years operated a computer college cum Digital center/Internet cyber cafe,and each year since 2003 in the month of October about 500 applicants come here to apply and I had earlier said I normally charge kshs 100 or 1$ for singles and 2$ for families.This is to cater for the use of my facility.Come May and over 10 people get selected from my joint every year.I witness different cases but has always abhorred anyone contemplating Lying or using fraudulent ways.Example two people ( boyfriend and girlfriend) who were planning to marry requested me to apply for them in October, but they decided to apply as singles (separate)come May 2011 and the lady won,the lady included the partner and on the interview day, both are disqualified(lack of proof of arranged marriage)I had however requested them to go it safe since they didn't have proof that the marriage was not arranged for the purpose of Interview and some cases after going safe(postponed),the pairs have finally married,petitioned and although I don't have knowledge about petition they have later on landed in the USA.i I were to mention first hand experience I have dozen.Currently I know a lady who won the 2015 but has since postponed.But I have never persuaded any one,just sharing of thoughts.

Simon I think you are confusing things. Marriages in Ethiopia have different documentary standards than other countries. In the example you gave, it sounds like the couple failed to supply complete evidence of the marriage itself. They were not being accused of a fraudulent marriage (otherwise the would have been barred from the US), it was (based on what you said) purely about lack of appropriate documentation of a legal marriage. If there marriage can be proven to have taken place and there is no suspicion of a fake marriage, the DV process is very simple. So - all the "play it safe" advice you are giving is based on this misunderstanding. Then the "play it safe" route means someone spending years and thousands of dollars to bring their spouse to the US. In my opinion, that is not a safe plan, its a daft plan.

I
Simon I think you are confusing things. Marriages in Ethiopia have different documentary standards than other countries. In the example you gave, it sounds like the couple failed to supply complete evidence of the marriage itself. They were not being accused of a fraudulent marriage (otherwise the would have been barred from the US), it was (based on what you said) purely about lack of appropriate documentation of a legal marriage. If there marriage can be proven to have taken place and there is no suspicion of a fake marriage, the DV process is very simple. So - all the "play it safe" advice you are giving is based on this misunderstanding. Then the "play it safe" route means someone spending years and thousands of dollars to bring their spouse to the US. In my opinion, that is not a safe plan, its a daft plan.
Get it Sir and 100% agree with you,its all about diversity and now I appreciate it.Ethiopia Governance versus Kenya and many other countries have different cultures in marriage legalization.For instance,Barely 3 months ago,Kenya legalized polygamous marriage and I would seek your advice on this even though I have NO case at hand,just to understand.Again am still confused about my case(follow-to-join).As I had mentioned your advice was pretty good and it has made me think twice.However,my case is so low that I had committed over $10,000 on a project in April and come may and I was among the selectees.I cant sell the property to facilitate the process and thats why I opted for the follow to join.Am thinking about your advice but it might plunge me into debts.Kindly advice and will surely share with you after they Unlock my ds 260.

I
Got it Sir and I 100% agree with you,its all about diversity and now I appreciate it.Ethiopia Governance versus Kenya and many other countries have different cultures in marriage legalization.For instance,Barely 3 months ago,Kenya legalized polygamous marriage and I would seek your advice on this even though I have NO case at hand,just to understand.Again am still confused about my case(follow-to-join).As I had mentioned,your advice was pretty good and it has made me think twice.However,my case is so low( 2015AF000004XX such that I anticipate receiving an invitation this August and Interview in October.I had earlier on in April 2014 committed over $10,000 on a project and in may I was among the sellectees.I cant sell the property to facilitate the process and thats why I opted for the follow to join.Am thinking about your advice of taking my family ( 5 members) but it might plunge me into debts,Kindly advice and will surely share with you after they Unlock my ds 260 .

If your number is current in March, it will show in the February visa bulletin which will be published in early January. You (and all others current) will get your interview appointment letters (known as 2NL on the forum) within a couple of weeks of the bulletin's publication. You get it at least 6 weeks before your interview date usually.
I was interviewed in late May, but received my appointment letter in mid-March, so there was something like 9 weeks notice in my case since I interviewed so late. Those scheduled in early May had around 6 weeks notice.
If your number is current in March, it will show in the February visa bulletin which will be published in early January. You (and all others current) will get your interview appointment letters (known as 2NL on the forum) within a couple of weeks of the bulletin's publication. You get it at least 6 weeks before your interview date usually.
I was interviewed in late May, but received my appointment letter in mid-March, so there was something like 9 weeks notice in my case since I interviewed so late. Those scheduled in early May had around 6 weeks notice.

Hi Tew,

I need to know when should I start the medical evaluation since my interview will be in October? Is the interview date mandatory to the Hospital?

Thanks

2015AF4xxx (Ethiopia)
Entry Checked: 05.02.2014
Forms sent to KCC: 23.05.2014
Forms reach and confirm receipt by KCC: 23.05.2014
2nd NL : ____
Interview date:_____
Passport pick up: ____
Travel date: ____

Hi yohanmar you will get the 2NL after two weeks. Then after you get 2NL you will go to medical examination. you can choose from the following three areas 1.you can go to IOM office inside Bole DH geda building, 2. America medical hospital yeka in the cumpound of sunshine construction or 3. yared hospital in megenagna
Is that clear?

Thank Dawgeb it's very clear. Let me got the other issues:-

1. Where can I authenticate my educational documents?
2. Where can I get the Police certificate? Is that decentralized to the Kebele or from Police Stations?

Thanks

Your educational documents are authenticated by the MoE (the Examinations Records office in front of the Patriarch's residence in Amist Kilo), followed by the MoFA in Kazanchis. I've posted the exact details a few pages ago, and the 2014 DV thread has very detailed posts about it as well. Takes maximum of 2 days.

The Police certificate is issued by the Forensics office behind the Immigration Office. It takes 1 day (you give your fingerprints on day 1, then pick it up the next day).

hi every body i am gondar university student but born in adama and i am living in gondar for more than a year attending school. since it is needed to bring police certificate from a city where one lived for more than 6 mth since age of 16, do i need to bring police certificate from both adama and gondar

hi every body i am gondar university student but born in adama and i am living in gondar for more than a year attending school. since it is needed to bring police certificate from a city where one lived for more than 6 mth since age of 16, do i need to bring police certificate from both adama and gondar
i don't think that you need a police certificate from both cities. The only police certificate you will be asked is the one issued by the forensics office in Addis Ababa. But you need to mention both Adama and Gondar as place you have lived after you turned 16 years old

here is what i found on one of 2014 useful information for ethiiopian winners
    • Ethiopian Academic Documents Authentication Procedures

High School Transcript Authentication
      First one needs to authenticate the transcript from grade 9-12 at the school where u attended your high school level and then bring the school authenticated transcript to the regional education bureau for final authentication. (This step is not necessary according to this years interviewed winners. If you can do it but if you can't don't bother.)

High School National Exam Certificates Authentication
      First one needs to authenticate the National Exam Certificates at the Ministry of Education and then take the authenticated Certificate to Mistry of Foreign Affairs for final Authentication

Higher Level Institutes Certificate and Grade Report Authentication
      First one needs to go to the university/college to authenticate the higher level Certificate but for the new curriculum graduates most of the Universities request the receipt of payment for cost sharing in order to authenticate.Once u authenticate the certificate and the grade report as well from your Instititute then go to MoFA for final Authentication.

High School (Preparatory School)
      Place: The Place where u attended your Secondary and/or Preparatory Courses
      Price: 10 birr/Paper
      Requirement: unauthenticated High School Transcript
      Time: better to go in the morning and it took less than 30 minutes

Addis Ababa City Education Bureau:
      Price: 25 birr/Paper
      Place: on the road from 6Killo to Ferensai/Bella in front of Oromia Court or u can use the back gate which is in front of 6Killo Egypt Embassy next to International Leadership Institute
      Requirement: 8th Grade Ministry Certificate and School Authenticated High School Transcript
      Time: better to go in the morning and it took less than 30 minutes

MoE/NoE (Ministry of Education/National Organization for Examination)
      Place: 5Killo St. Marry Church in front of Abune Paulos Residence next to Menelik II Primary School
      Price: 35 Birr/Paper
      Requirement: unauthenticated High School Certificates [EGSECE(10th),EGSLCE(10th),ESLCE(12th),EHEECE(12th)]
      Time: if u give the Certificate in the Morning,u can take it back either 5:30 Local time in the morning or 10:30 in the afternoon

MoFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Consular & Document Authentication Section)
      Place: Casanchis on the road to Bambis via Ministry of Labor
      Price: 150 Birr/Paper
      Requirement: MoE authenticated Certificates
      Time: better to go in the morning and it took around 30 minutes (works 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

Documents Authentication Procedures for Private School Graduates
        1. If u have a diploma or degree form private school
      • Authenticate on the school you attend then go to the Federal Higher Education Authentication agency in front of the embassy of united state.
      • Price 200.00 per page
      • Finally MoFA
    1. If u have a diploma from technical school out of Addis Ababa
    • Authenticate on the school you attend then go to the Regional Technical and Authentication Agency
    • Finally MoFA
NOTE: - When you authenticate your document in any office don’t forget beside the stamp you need a signecher of the person who authenticate. I see on the MoFA one of our friends (DV winner) ordered to get the signecher form Bihardar while he has the official Stamp. Good Luck!!!

hi abi328 i am also in gondar university. for your question you need police certificate only from the forensics police office in addisababa which is behind the immigration office. Cheers!

HELLO FRIENDS

i can see that Mr ormania is rather busy settling in the US or he might get tied up at work :):D , so lets hope that he will be back soon and keep this forum active until we all get our visa , i will try to answer questions of new comers and our old members too , just keep them coming ,

lets hope these years VB starts with a high number

so any one selected for these year DV program start processing documents ?? share us your experience o_O

Hello DV2015 Selecetees from Ethiopia,

I am one of you with a CN AF26xxx. I am new for the forum, so could you please give me some information regarding my doubts? I have read somewhere that, only the CO decied regarding getting the visa or not. However, I am not sure why some of the selectees didn´t get the 2NL with a lower CN on that time? So, what do you think?
I have already filled the DS260 and sent it. We are hopping to have a positive outcome
Thnx

Hi Fikir, welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting selected!

About the CO, it means that you will only get a visa if the CO approves it. In other words, KCC (which processes your file before sending it to the embassy) cannot tell you whether you get a visa or not. That only happens when you present yourself at the embassy on your interview day.

The 2NL is sent to you before you go in front of the CO, so that is a different situation. When you get the 2NL will depend on when your number gets current. If you send in your DS forms very late, your number may be current before KCC is done processing your file. In that case, your 2NL could be delayed and someone with a higher number can get their 2NL before you.

As for how interview dates are assigned during the month you are current, nobody is really sure. Speculations are that sending in forms late or modifying information with KCC right before your number is current could affect it and you may end up scheduled late in the month even if your number would normally be interviewed early.

hi guys in 2015 fiscal year october ethiopia's cutoff number 7000 that is great number compared to 2014 which started with 5000. this year definietly it will speedup!