• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

USCIS say we will get our interview in Sep, before the deadline for sure.
will get IL soon. is still quota for us if in Sep.?? so worry...
and one question: we just need to be approved before 9/30, right?
normally, will be approved on the interview day??
Thank you!!

Good luck Simon!

Just back. That was "enlightening"!

I have been working on my relaxation skills for days so I would remain calm for the infopass. My wife has been especially concerned for me to stay calm. However, that went wrong in the first 30 seconds of the (very nice) lady talking. "Oh sorry you can't adjust status with a DV win and we don't process the cases here - we only do Family based cases. You need to go back to your country and apply there". Seriously.

So - I spent the next 75 minutes (no kidding) explaining the process, the rules, the timeframes. Everything. She also got her supervisor involved, and eventually they "realized" I wasn't a misinformed nut job. My daughter file had been sent to Texas for some inexplicable reason. As for the expedite she casually mentioned they had denied that, but backed down on that later on (because it isn't true).

She and the supervisor finally got their story as the section chief has decided that all DV interviews for SFO will be scheduled in September - and the chief is adamant that this approach is fine.

She was very misinformed on so many things.
  • She thought the visas are reserved when the case becomes current (June 1 for me). I explained, no, the visa is pulled from SEVIS when they do the interview.
  • She thought these cases can go past Sept 30 (telling me a story of how citizenship can be done). I showed her the 9 FAM rules to reject that claim.
  • She thought these cases can be submitted way earlier. I showed her the policy memo.
  • She claimed the policy memo didn't apply to them until I pointed out the "scope" on the document clearly covered all USCIS staff.
  • She thought there would be plenty of visas for all - I showed her printouts that explain even USCIS now are saying visas will be exhausted at the end of the year.
I asked her to get the section chief to read the policy memo and reminded her that my expedite request is still valid. She "promised" that I will be interviewed in September and that if I have not received my IL by Sept 1 I am to reappear on Sept 2 and request the supervisor. She gave me a yellow "Fast Pass" so I could get in on that date.

So - I am hoping they read the policy memo, and maybe set up August interview. However, I won't hold my breath.

She was very receptive and stated that she was going to warn people "not to mess with me" - which she meant "not to butter me up, but I clearly knew more than they do". She said in 12 years of working there she had never handled a DV case.

Lastly before I left she told me a story about how they are federal employees and that the post office are also federal employees and in my mailbox there will be my name to say I am "recognized" as being able to get mail. This story had NOTHING to do with DV in general or my case, but after 75 minutes the poor lady just wanted to say something I didn't contradict. Really.

USCIS say we will get our interview in Sep, before the deadline for sure.
will get IL soon. is still quota for us if in Sep.?? so worry...
and one question: we just need to be approved before 9/30, right?
normally, will be approved on the interview day??
Thank you!!

Did you see the Russian guy (window 3) or the Asian guy (window 1) Andy? I had the older lady on window 5. I mentioned that you were coming along and it seems you got the same answer I did.

Did you see the Russian guy (window 3) or the Asian guy (window 1) Andy? I had the older lady on window 5. I mentioned that you were coming along and it seems you got the same answer I did.

no, I can't walk-in today...
but, last week we went there, it is an Asian lady dealt with us.
(we speak in English, then my wife speak in Chinese with her)
So, you will get an interview in Sep. as well??
you think that we have chance to complete it?

Hope we can finish this together!!

no, I can't walk-in today...
but, last week we went there, it is an Asian lady dealt with us.
(we speak in English, then my wife speak in Chinese with her)
So, you will get an interview in Sep. as well??
you think that we have chance to complete it?

Hope we can finish this together!!

Ahh the Asian lady with bad eyesight!

I think we will be ok Andy. I'm running the numbers right now - I'll have numbers tonight, and as long as I am seeing the end of month updates have happened, I'll publish the numbers (and I will check on Monday/Tuesday to be sure no embassies update late). We will see how many visas are left and how many have appointments for August....

I have been working on my relaxation skills for days so I would remain calm for the infopass. My wife has been especially concerned for me to stay calm. However, that went wrong in the first 30 seconds of the (very nice) lady talking. "Oh sorry you can't adjust status with a DV win and we don't process the cases here - we only do Family based cases. You need to go back to your country and apply there". Seriously.

So - I spent the next 75 minutes (no kidding) explaining the process, the rules, the timeframes. Everything. She also got her supervisor involved, and eventually they "realized" I wasn't a misinformed nut job. My daughter file had been sent to Texas for some inexplicable reason. As for the expedite she casually mentioned they had denied that, but backed down on that later on (because it isn't true).

She and the supervisor finally got their story as the section chief has decided that all DV interviews for SFO will be scheduled in September - and the chief is adamant that this approach is fine.

• She thought the visas are reserved when the case becomes current (June 1 for me). I explained, no, the visa is pulled from SEVIS when they do the interview.
  • She thought these cases can go past Sept 30 (telling me a story of how citizenship can be done). I showed her the 9 FAM rules to reject that claim.
  • She thought these cases can be submitted way earlier. I showed her the policy memo.
  • She claimed the policy memo didn't apply to them until I pointed out the "scope" on the document clearly covered all USCIS staff.
  • She thought there would be plenty of visas for all - I showed her printouts that explain even USCIS now are saying visas will be exhausted at the end of the year.
I asked her to get the section chief to read the policy memo and reminded her that my expedite request is still valid. She "promised" that I will be interviewed in September and that if I have not received my IL by Sept 1 I am to reappear on Sept 2 and request the supervisor. She gave me a yellow "Fast Pass" so I could get in on that date.

So - I am hoping they read the policy memo, and maybe set up August interview. However, I won't hold my breath.

She was very receptive and stated that she was going to warn people "not to mess with me" - which she meant "not to butter me up, but I clearly knew more than they do". She said in 12 years of working there she had never handled a DV case.

Lastly before I left she told me a story about how they are federal employees and that the post office are also federal employees and in my mailbox there will be my name to say I am "recognized" as being able to get mail. This story had NOTHING to do with DV in general or my case, but after 75 minutes the poor lady just wanted to say something I didn't contradict. Really.

Wow! One of the WORST scenarios that can happen. It is a pain in the ass to explain these things to incompetent staff. I'm glad you got the photocopies of memos with you so that you could prove your point.

I had a similar problem when entering from Mexico to the US. I'm on H1B visa, but I don't have a visa sticker on my passport. For Mexico, Canada and bordering islands there is policy called "automatic visa revalidation" which allows us to re-enter the US without a valid visa. Long story short, the customs officer at Charlotte Airport didn't know that. He insisted that I needed a visa and the policy would not apply to me. I didn't have the copy of the memo with me so I couldn't prove my point. He eventually let me in, but told me that if I were to caught again, I would have to pay a charge (about 500 bucks if I recall correctly). Damn I wish there was a booklet for every single policy so that we could school the staff when they need :)

Ahh the Asian lady with bad eyesight!

I think we will be ok Andy. I'm running the numbers right now - I'll have numbers tonight, and as long as I am seeing the end of month updates have happened, I'll publish the numbers (and I will check on Monday/Tuesday to be sure no embassies update late). We will see how many visas are left and how many have appointments for August....

Really hope we will be fine and complete it.
my wife can't eat and sleep well this week after we back home from USCIS.
Hope it is still have visas for us. (pray)

Btw, we only talked our situation about 20 mins.
I can't imagine that how hard you explained to them!
You've worked hard.

Last edited:

WOW Simon, that must have been draining. I am glad you were prepared! They do not know who they are messing with, lol. I will take all kinds of memos with me when we interview… Best wishes, I hope they interview you guys this month.

Hi Simon,
I'm sorry about what happened for you today. Hopefully everything will work well. You and moms know better but why do not you contact your congressperson?

Hi Simon,
I'm sorry about what happened for you today. Hopefully everything will work well. You and moms know better but why do not you contact your congressperson?

Oh yeah, don't doubt - I am going to contact the congressperson! Doing that this weekend.

Reactions: CWH
Hi Simon,

OMG!!! :O I would probably pee my pants in this situation! I know is somewhere on this forum but I BEG You please can You post links to the documents You had with You? I mean not the personal ones. I mean the rules, policy memo etc. and anything I should have with me in case my officer will be not informed enough. I would appreciate a lot! Thank Youuu!

OMG!!! :O I would probably pee my pants in this situation! I know is somewhere on this forum but I BEG You please can You post links to the documents You had with You? I mean not the personal ones. I mean the rules, policy memo etc. and anything I should have with me in case my officer will be not informed enough. I would appreciate a lot! Thank Youuu!

The policy memo was the most "well received" document (the one she originally denied covered them) is linked from Moms spreadsheet (in the very first post of this thread) That one is worth printing out.
Then I would suggest the 9 FAM DV related rules. http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf however, be careful with these documents in the interview. Only use what you need to introduce/use because you might inadvertantly give the CO something to question you about and remember aos and CP have slight nuances of how the rules are applied.

There are some others depending on your scenario.

Oh gosh :( can You tell me if this a big problem, I am getting all my documents ready on my August 8th interview, on letter says: bring all original documents with English translations. I didn't copy translations! ;( I sent them in to Chicago in my package with copies of my originals. Do They will have this translations on my interview? They should right? ;(((

Oh gosh :( can You tell me if this a big problem, I am getting all my documents ready on my August 8th interview, on letter says: bring all original documents with English translations. I didn't copy translations! ;( I sent them in to Chicago in my package with copies of my originals. Do They will have this translations on my interview? They should right? ;(((

They should have your file - so no I don't think it is a big problem. Mom might feel otherwise...

The policy memo was the most "well received" document (the one she originally denied covered them) is linked from Moms spreadsheet (in the very first post of this thread) That one is worth printing out.
Then I would suggest the 9 FAM DV related rules. http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf however, be careful with these documents in the interview. Only use what you need to introduce/use because you might inadvertantly give the CO something to question you about and remember aos and CP have slight nuances of how the rules are applied.

There are some others depending on your scenario.
Thaank You so much! I will print them and use only when is necessary. Thank You again.

One more, I hope last question, in a spreadsheet interview tips says: "You may be asked about the type of visa you applied for and why you wanted to come to the United States. While it may appear that the USCIS officer is just making polite conversation, he or she may be trying to judge whether or not you had “immigrant intent” at the time you got your visa -- that is, whether you actually intended to come to the U.S. permanently at the time you got your temporary visa (such as a student or tourist visa), despite having claimed at the time that your intention was to return home at the end of your stay. Obtaining a visa on false pretenses can be a form of fraud. You’ll need to be clear about the fact that your decision to stay in the U.S. came later, after obtaining the non immigrant visa" What should we say there? We came on visitors visa B1/B2, but we knew before we came to USA that we will take visitor visa just to cross the border legally and then we will apply for Political Asylum. So how our intentions here? Should we say we knew we will apply for Asylum even before we came here, or that we decided to apply for Asylum already in USA (which second option sounds kinda stupid for me, because wanting Asylum is usually something that people know ahead of time). What do You think?

Wow. Just, wow. Now imagine the poor person who has not been hanging around here and just accepted all that...

(Btw if I understood what she said correctly, it does actually matter for you/this case that your name is on your mailbox - USPS will not deliver the green card otherwise.)