• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

I am pointing out the fact that some police certs do not have an expiry date on them(as stated by the issuing authority). In that case, CG or Embassy may interpret the validity themselves.
As such, I am providing a document which states the max is 12 months old: "Non-US police cert for your current residence must be no more than 12 months old."(pg 6 of the doc attached)

If any police cert has an expiry date, then obviously, it's the earlier of the 2.

Hi All...

It just a quick silly question...

I have a Bachelor of Science in my hometown and a Master Degree in the U.S.

I have my BS transcript and diploma translated, legalized and apostille.

The master degree was in the US. so I only asked for the official transcript and I have the diploma with me.

I still need the highschool diploma legalized, apostille and translated?? For me is obvious that if I have a US degree and a BS, I have high school diploma, but is better to ask for your opinion than been rejected in the embassy.

Thanks again...

I am pointing out the fact that some police certs do not have an expiry date on them(as stated by the issuing authority). In that case, CG or Embassy may interpret the validity themselves.
As such, I am providing a document which states the max is 12 months old: "Non-US police cert for your current residence must be no more than 12 months old."(pg 6 of the doc attached)

If any police cert has an expiry date, then obviously, it's the earlier of the 2.

Its better to send I mail to your embassy... I did it, and in Venezuela they only accept police certificates with less than 6 month old.

Hello. Does anyone know how we will be notified of the interview day/time? Is it via email or postal? Also, what is "NL"?

Its better to send I mail to your embassy... I did it, and in Venezuela they only accept police certificates with less than 6 month old.
Agreed, even better if you can get something in writing. I was referring to CG in Hong Kong specifically.

Did they say they will accept any cert less than 6 months or cert without expiry date less than 6 months?(e.g. Cert says 12 months but they will accept 6 months from issue or cert says 3 months but they will give you 6)

I wonder how much variance is there between CG and embassy.

Dude, if you are comfortable that you know what your embassy wants, good for you. But as posted above it does not apply to everyone. You may be happy to be put on AP after your interview because they want updated police certificates but most people will not be happy with that, hence the advice to get PCs that you know have not expired. The general advice for DV interviews is "better safe than sorry".

Hi All...

It just a quick silly question...

I have a Bachelor of Science in my hometown and a Master Degree in the U.S.

I have my BS transcript and diploma translated, legalized and apostille.

The master degree was in the US. so I only asked for the official transcript and I have the diploma with me.

I still need the highschool diploma legalized, apostille and translated?? For me is obvious that if I have a US degree and a BS, I have high school diploma, but is better to ask for your opinion than been rejected in the embassy.

Thanks again...

You don't need anything apostilled but take a copy of your high school diploma. Some embassies want to see it even if applicants have higher education.

Hello. Does anyone know how we will be notified of the interview day/time? Is it via email or postal? Also, what is "NL"?

As per the DV instructions (please read them and subsequent links from your notification letter (NL) ) it will be on the same website as you got that letter. You should get an email telling you the page has been updated roughly a week after the visa bulletin showing your number as current has been released, so usually around 6-8 weeks before your interview.

Hi all,

We have another opinion form some people. It goes like this:
"We are going to marry as planned but doesn't have to inform the KCC or Embassy. But present the case during my interview and present our evidences like wedding photos, and other communication logs (viber, whatsup, fb, ..)."

How is that sound? (Susie, Britsimon, sim1mon,... i need your opinion on this alternative)

Hi all,

"We are going to marry as planned but doesn't have to inform the KCC or Embassy. But present the case during my interview and present our evidences like wedding photos, and other communication logs (viber, whatsup, fb, ..)."

How is that sound? (Susie, Britsimon, sim1mon,... i need your opinion on this alternative)

I think that's terrible advice. Firstly if you don't bother informing them it is against their explicit instructions (see the link from your notification letter). Second it means they will not have any expectation of him coming and some (most if not all) embassies will refuse entrance to anyone not on their lists, so he won't even have an interview. Third, if there is anything to start them off as being suspicious from the start, it is hiding a marriage and then springing it on them as a surprise. Who on earth told you this or rather, why on earth do they think it's a good idea?

Just to add to what Sqqq said. If KCC do not know that you got married and somehow both of you get to the interview and prove that it's all kosher, there will be only one visa allocated to the CN. Then you will be put on AP till the next month so they could allocate the additional visa to the CN.

We have a report of this happening to some Europeans in Fiji.

If it's early in the year then it's no biggie. But for somebody with high number it might make a difference as visas are running out in September.

Hi all,

Dude, if you are comfortable that you know what your embassy wants, good for you. But as posted above it does not apply to everyone. You may be happy to be put on AP after your interview because they want updated police certificates but most people will not be happy with that, hence the advice to get PCs that you know have not expired. The general advice for DV interviews is "better safe than sorry".
I certainly would not like AP, hence encouraging everyone to look for answers from CG or Embassy, be it written, email or over the phone.Your CG may have different doc than CG in Hong Kong, find out more just to be safe like Susie said.

Like my original post #678 states "In that case, it's depending on the GC or Embassy. You will find some indication if you go through documents in CG or Embassy website."

Again, I can't stress that enough since I got several different answers between CG, KCC, US travel doc from their emails.

Susie, do you know of any cases where the cert says it's within expiry date but CG refused because of their "policy"?

Last edited:
Hi all,

In life, Listening to idiots will cause you hassle. Don't listen to them.

I think that's terrible advice. Firstly if you don't bother informing them it is against their explicit instructions (see the link from your notification letter). Second it means they will not have any expectation of him coming and some (most if not all) embassies will refuse entrance to anyone not on their lists, so he won't even have an interview. Third, if there is anything to start them off as being suspicious from the start, it is hiding a marriage and then springing it on them as a surprise. Who on earth told you this or rather, why on earth do they think it's a good idea?
Okay. In that case, he cannot have interview in that day but do they put me on AP and that would be a problem? If they are not convinced with during AP, would they disqualify me (as a single)?
I came to be convinced that either way is the same, even the this way is worse. but they told me this is the safe way because someone did go through the AP and managed to get approved.

Just to add to what Sqqq said. If KCC do not know that you got married and somehow both of you get to the interview and prove that it's all kosher, there will be only one visa allocated to the CN. Then you will be put on AP till the next month so they could allocate the additional visa to the CN.

We have a report of this happening to some Europeans in Fiji.

If it's early in the year then it's no biggie. But for somebody with high number it might make a difference as visas are running out in September.
Okay. As my CN - AF24**- suggested, it could be in October. But, did they managed to get approved after the AP? Could you give me the details about their case?

Okay. In that case, he cannot have interview in that day but do they put me on AP and that would be a problem? If they are not convinced with during AP, would they disqualify me (as a single)?
I came to be convinced that either way is the same, even the this way is worse. but they told me this is the safe way because someone did go through the AP and managed to get approved.

Please, this is a very bad idea. You will look as though you are hiding something. I think this is the way most likely to lead to an outright denial. Yes they will disqualify you if they think you are trying to commit immigration fraud and in fact that could lead to a permanent ban from the US. The important thing to do with DV and immigration issues is FOLLOW THE RULES. The rules say you can add a spouse that you married after selection but you must notify them about it. For heavens sake. Just because the stupid risky way works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone. You do understand there is no second chance with this - if you get denied, there is no appeal, that is game over.

There are MANY people who have successfully got visas by marrying after selection. You have enough proof. Why, why, why do you want to act suspiciously when you have nothing to hide? Why, why, why do you want to endanger a perfectly straightforward case?

Please, this is a very bad idea. You will look as though you are hiding something. I think this is the way most likely to lead to an outright denial. Yes they will disqualify you if they think you are trying to commit immigration fraud and in fact that could lead to a permanent ban from the US. The important thing to do with DV and immigration issues is FOLLOW THE RULES. The rules say you can add a spouse that you married after selection but you must notify them about it. For heavens sake. Just because the stupid risky way works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone. You do understand there is no second chance with this - if you get denied, there is no appeal, that is game over.

There are MANY people who have successfully got visas by marrying after selection. You have enough proof. Why, why, why do you want to act suspiciously when you have nothing to hide? Why, why, why do you want to endanger a perfectly straightforward case?

To add to Susies point - you are behaving in a way that is seeming, to me, to be suspicious. If you having nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear, but you are behaving like you have something to hide - and that normally means someone has something to hide.

We have given you very clear advice. If you want to cause yourself problems, feel free to do it some other way.

Actually with Option A, I believe I've read from one of the official sources (unfortunately I don't recollect which one at the moment) that unlocking the DS form will not cause a delay in scheduling. What I'm not certain about though is if KCC will still go ahead and schedule anyone who is current even if they've not re-submitted their application. I need to find that source and go over it again to get a better understanding.
Kindly read an extract of an email they sent me way back in june 16 2014.

"Thank you for your inquiry.For KCC to unlock your Form DS-260 for updating, in response to your request, please be advised that we will be answering these requests according to the order in which they are submitted. It could take up to a few weeks before you hear from us that your DS-260 has been unlocked. We will send you an email once we have unlocked the form and you can update your information.

Please be assured that any delay in unlocking your form will not impact your appointment date, as appointment dates are set based upon your case number becoming current. (Further details about what this means are available in the Visa Bulletin on www.travel.state.gov.) The first appointments will not begin until October 2014, so there will be ample time for you to correct your information in time for a consular interview."