N400 - File hasn't arrived from the processing center

mbadran

Registered Users (C)
On early Feb 2014, I filed my N400, exactly 90 days before my third green card anniversary (based on being married to US citizen). Shortly after I received the biometric notice (and I have it done on time) and shortly after I received my interview notice to be schedule on June 3, 2014. On the morning of the interview day, I received a phone call from a seven zeroes number from a woman who introduced herself as an USCIS officer. She said that I am supposed to have an interview today with her in the afternoon but unfortunately she cannot interview me because my file has not arrived to the office yet. I asked what that means, she said they received boxes from the processing center that have many files for many applicants and my file properly is in one of them and by the interview time most probably she will not have picked up my file yet and have it ready for the interview. She said it is up to me if I still want to show up on time but 80% chance that I will have to reschedule my interview. I asked if she can give me the rescheduled appointment, she said it is being done by the administrative team (not her) and she does not know when is the next availability. She promised if I do not show up it would not be taken against me. I told her to go ahead and reschedule me. I still did not feel right about it especially the phone number was very suspicious. Anyway, I showed up on the interview time and the same woman came to me and explained the same thing again and she said she is sorry for what happened. She said I should expect the reschedule notice in the mail.

Two weeks have passed since the original interview date and I have not heard a word. I made status inquiry over the phone and I received the below message to my email:

“Our records show your case is currently in the queue awaiting to be scheduled on the next available date. Once your case is scheduled, we will mail you a notice at the address we have on file. The notice will detail the time and date to appear for your interview.”

Another four weeks passed and I still have not heard a word, I went for an info pass appointment. The officer punched in my "A" number and read from the screen the same thing. He picked up the phone and talked to a “Supervisor”; I heard him saying that my file arrived the same day of my original interview day (that is why I could have the interview the same day) and it is now on the “shelf” to be scheduled for interview. He hanged up the line and asked me to have a seat for few minutes. He went to speak to the supervisor and came back saying he gave him my info and asked him to expedite the interview date. He said I have an old file (of course) and have to put them together before the interview.

Another two weeks passed and still no words. Now it has been nearly two months since the original interview date and I have not heard from them. I expected to be first in line to be scheduled for another interview not to be at the end of the line.

Anyone experienced situation like that? What is the next step do you recommend?

Best wishes to everyone.

I did another info pass yesterday (two months after the original interview date). The officer was nice and polite, however, I left empty handed as usual. He explained that two months or more to receive the rescheduled interview is normal. He said if I don't hear anything by early September, I should come back again and check on the status.

He checked few things on the screen and kept assuring me that there is nothing out of the ordinary. Basically, just wait. He he said it is waiting game.:mad: