• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

hi guys if my number goes current on march then when will be i notified for interview?

If your number is current in March, it will show in the February visa bulletin which will be published in early January. You (and all others current) will get your interview appointment letters (known as 2NL on the forum) within a couple of weeks of the bulletin's publication. You get it at least 6 weeks before your interview date usually.
I was interviewed in late May, but received my appointment letter in mid-March, so there was something like 9 weeks notice in my case since I interviewed so late. Those scheduled in early May had around 6 weeks notice.

hi! I am a dv winner for 2015. I can not definitely get passport for my family as my country is one of the countries that is difficult to get passport even for kids as old as 4 years.
I contacted KCC but did not get a good answer other than a passport is needed to process visa. Can I use other travel document? or apply alone? will that have an effect? I still did not submit my ds260 form as my CN is very high. What will be your advice?

hi! I am a dv winner for 2015. I can not definitely get passport for my family as my country is one of the countries that is difficult to get passport even for kids as old as 4 years.
I contacted KCC but did not get a good answer other than a passport is needed to process visa. Can I use other travel document? or apply alone? will that have an effect? I still did not submit my ds260 form as my CN is very high. What will be your advice?

Is your country Ethiopia, perhaps others ave experience of hw they got the passports, but in any case, difficult or not, you will need them.

If you are Ethiopian, you can definitely get a passport from abroad. I've done that numerous times. You need to fill an application form, pay a fee and attach pictures as well copies of your old passport. In addition, they ask for your proof of legal status in whatever country you are in (at least they did in the Washington DC office). After that, either drop it off or mail it to the embassy. It takes 2-3 months for it to get done since they send your package to the main office in Ethiopia to process it.

Contact the embassy that is relevant to you for exact information. If you are in a developed country, the embassy will usually have a website you can get the info from.

If you are inside Ethiopia, it takes like 3 days.

There are certain circumstances under which the passport requirement can be waived, however, "difficult to obtain" is NOT one of those.

"The passport requirement of INA 222(b) may be waived for the followingcategories of immigrants:
- Certain spouses, unmarried sons or daughters or parents of a U.S.citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident;
- Certain returning permanent residents;
- Stateless person and accompany spouse and unmarried son(s) or daughter(s);
- National of a Communist-controlled country;

-

Alien member of the U.S. armed forces; and

- Beneficiary of Individual Waivers.

source: 9FAM 42.2 N1 Waiver of Passport Requirement
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87523.pdf

So, unless you fall within one of the categories listed above, if you wish to successfully process you DV selection, you better be ready to move mountains (if need be) in order to get the passports for your family.

Hi everyone,
I am new here. First, i want to thank you all for your fruitful help.
I am a DV2015 selectee with CN AF0024**. As i have seen in the conversations, my Interview would be in Oct, right?
So, I have one question,..

My fiance and I were planned to marry by Mid of September after we graduated, we were university students. I graduated last month and he will next month too. My question: Is that OK to go for the marriage at this time, so that we can go together? Or should we call off the wedding and marry after the Interview? In the later case, he should stay here(my country) and i will leave alone. If so, how long it would take after i leave without him and come back to go along with the process?

*Sorry for my English, i will try to explain more if my question is not clear

(i posted this in the main discussion "DV 2015 Winners Meet Here" thread)
Thanks

Thanks Sm1smom and Britsimon for your valuable information. I think my country belongs to a dictator in Africa. I am in Africa while my family are inside country (I am not mentioning the county to the safety of my family). My family have been denied passport unless I show up there and they do not give passport for kids above the age of four and that is the rule and we do not hope to change unless there is change of government which will not happen in the near future. So I do not know what to do. My kids are between six and eight. So what is the solution. What will happen if I send my ds260 alone now , and see to bring them some years later if positive thing comes to the country? It is my only option. Getting passport is almost 99% impossible before the FY for visa (Sept 2015)?

Thanks Sm1smom and Britsimon for your valuable information. I think my country belongs to a dictator in Africa. I am in Africa while my family are inside country (I am not mentioning the county to the safety of my family). My family have been denied passport unless I show up there and they do not give passport for kids above the age of four and that is the rule and we do not hope to change unless there is change of government which will not happen in the near future. So I do not know what to do. My kids are between six and eight. So what is the solution. What will happen if I send my ds260 alone now , and see to bring them some years later if positive thing comes to the country? It is my only option. Getting passport is almost 99% impossible before the FY for visa (Sept 2015)?

Well unless you can tell us the country, there is no way to advise you what to do. If that country has well known issues the US embassy near you might be able to advise something.

Just like Simon wrote, if what you've described is indeed the general practice in your country, I'm sure the US embassy assigned to it will be very much aware of this problem. And that means there's a slight chance it could possibly fall under the category of "Waiver of Passport Requirement for Nationals of Communist-Controlled Countries", but even at that the IO has to be convinced the alien will be able to depart from the country or is able to get some sort of exit permit from the country.

Anyway, you should contact the applicable US embassy to find out how they handle the cases of people from your country who have no passports.

Of course you can submit your DS form and indicate on it that your family will not be processing with you. You can always petition for their GC (if things change back in your country) after you become a LPR yourself. Just be aware it costs a lot more and takes much more longer for a LPR to petition for immediate relatives.

Hi everyone,
I am new here. First, i want to thank you all for your fruitful help.
I am a DV2015 selectee with CN AF0024**. As i have seen in the conversations, my Interview would be in Oct, right?
So, I have one question,..

My fiance and I were planned to marry by Mid of September after we graduated, we were university students. I graduated last month and he will next month too. My question: Is that OK to go for the marriage at this time, so that we can go together? Or should we call off the wedding and marry after the Interview? In the later case, he should stay here(my country) and i will leave alone. If so, how long it would take after i leave without him and come back to go along with the process?

*Sorry for my English, i will try to explain more if my question is not clear

(i posted this in the main discussion "DV 2015 Winners Meet Here" thread)
Thanks
My personal opinion is that you should not risk,Its very hard even to convince me that the decision was not made after the outcome.Convince your fiancee to let you go it alone.

My personal opinion is that you should not risk,Its very hard even to convince me that the decision was not made after the outcome.Convince your fiancee to let you go it alone.
Thanks Simon.

So you mean, i should call off the wedding and marry after?
About its genuinity, no doubt that this decision wasn't made after the outcome. But as you said, how to convince might be hard, though we have communications on fb, viber, ... plus photos since 2011.
But what do you think i should do? Is that too risky?

Thanks Simon.

About its genuinity, no doubt that this decision wasn't made after the outcome. But as you said, how to convince might be hard, though we have communications on fb, viber, ... plus photos since 2011.

Simon is talking nonsense, some of his other posts also show there is a lot about the DV process he does not understand.
You have enough evidence to show a bona fide relationship, you will be fine. Your main concern will be getting your new husband on the interview notification.

She doesn't need to convince you, mr arbitrary person on the internet. I would go further and say it almost sounds like you are trying to unnecessarily cause trouble for people. First you tell someone to "gamble" his time and money on an interview when he is clearly ineligible, now you are trying to tell someone with a bona fide relationship not to do it. Did you just come here to cause trouble? Because so far that's what it looks like.

Simon is talking nonsense, some of his other posts also show there is a lot about the DV process he does not understand.
You have enough evidence to show a bona fide relationship, you will be fine. Your main concern will be getting your new husband on the interview notification.
Okay, Thank you very much!
I am working on that. Trying to understand the whole process. You are doing a very good thing btw, in this regard!
Thanks a lot!

She doesn't need to convince you, mr arbitrary person on the internet. I would go further and say it almost sounds like you are trying to unnecessarily cause trouble for people. First you tell someone to "gamble" his time and money on an interview when he is clearly ineligible, now you are trying to tell someone with a bona fide relationship not to do it. Did you just come here to cause trouble? Because so far that's what it looks like.

Simon, I have to agree with SusieQQQ, The advice and information is so bad that it almost looks deliberately bad. I'd like to think, with such a good name, you must mean well. If you do mean well stick around and learn a lot more about the process so that you can then be helpful to others. But please stop advising people incorrectly based on your own lack of knowledge. Thank you.

I request for pardon to whoever has been injured by my opinion.However,I had based my reply on 3 case that have been successful.The fiancees decided that since including either of their partners might compromise their interview by not convincing the consular about the planned marriage,they opted for the safe one"you go,I come back after a year,Mary,petition then I will be supporting you until the petition goes through in about 5 yrs time.The other one was about a person without the necessary qualification,Example on my case, I am a DV 2015 Selectee and we are yet to know the qualifications that will be set.This is my stand since the probability of winning out of the 9 million applicants is so slim coupled with the many times I have played,It would be prudent that I sacrifice the little I have if it wont adversely affect my financial position to see whether I would either convince the consular by way of completion of Secondary education or work experience.I stand to be guided.Regards

Thanks Simon.

I apologize for having not requested whether you have proof indicating or showing a pre-arrangement ( pre-wedding) as we call it over here.I am now convinced there is no need to panic,go ahead an include/ add her as a new applicant in your ds 260 and kindly carry with you all the evidence and print all the emails correspondences.I operate a computer ( internet cyber) cafe and I normally charge 1$ ( for photos,filling of the form) in October and have seen many people asking me what to do after winning and my answer has always been,If you think you can convince the consular(NOT THROUGH FRAUDULENT WAYS) and poses some cash to risk, go ahead,if you think you don't have enough reason,call it quit.This should not be taken as misleading .its sharing of opinion and that's why this forum is here to guide us.

I also would like to ask,If your case number is high and it happens that the consular accepts your case and for some reasons he/she decide to do a background check or its put under administrative process (with all the evidence you have) how will you handle the issue.My suggestion is that you have both waited to complete your academics and had decided not to get married while in school so as not to jeopardize your training and now by chance you have won the green card which is a game changer to your future family(current fiancee).If it were me, I will get into my Knees,pray to God,have an open discussion with my fiancee and all parties involved (families in both sides) and make a vow to God,my fiancee and before the parties that indeed she is my choice.The reason you had a plan "b" and I quote, ( Or should we call off the wedding and marry after the Interview) clearly indicates you have some reservations. Get my arguments well and in good faith, According to this line"My fiance and I were planned to marry by Mid of September after we graduated, we were university students. I graduated last month and he will next month too. My question to this line is " Will you be employed then,straight from graduation June and getting married in September.Assume they asked,why are you rushing the marriage?unless all the proof is there indicating a planned marriage before 1st of May 2014,you might get into the Embassy filled with nervousness.Kindly this my opinion and pay attention to all and make a well informed decision.But one thing is certain, both of you will set your feet in the USA because I will be praying and wishing you the best.

I also would like to ask,If your case number is high and it happens that the consular accepts your case and for some reasons he/she decide to do a background check or its put under administrative process (with all the evidence you have) how will you handle the issue.My suggestion is that you have both waited to complete your academics and had decided not to get married while in school so as not to jeopardize your training and now by chance you have won the green card which is a game changer to your future family(current fiancee).If it were me, I will get into my Knees,pray to God,have an open discussion with my fiancee and all parties involved (families in both sides) and make a vow to God,my fiancee and before the parties that indeed she is my choice.The reason you had a plan "b" and I quote, ( Or should we call off the wedding and marry after the Interview) clearly indicates you have some reservations. Get my arguments well and in good faith, According to this line"My fiance and I were planned to marry by Mid of September after we graduated, we were university students. I graduated last month and he will next month too. My question to this line is " Will you be employed then,straight from graduation June and getting married in September.Assume they asked,why are you rushing the marriage?unless all the proof is there indicating a planned marriage before 1st of May 2014,you might get into the Embassy filled with nervousness.Kindly this my opinion and pay attention to all and make a well informed decision.But one thing is certain, both of you will set your feet in the USA because I will be praying and wishing you the best.

Ok @Simon,

I have no doubt you clearly wish to help people. But you really need to study and understand the process before dishing out suggestions and advises all over the place. The DV process is grounded and guided by rules and regulations, it is NOT based on personal feelings!

"If your case number is high and it happens that the consular accepts your case and for some reasons he/she decide to do a background check or its put under administrative process (with all the evidence you have) how will you handle the issue."

First of all the CO doesn't decide "for some reason to do a background check". Background checks will be conducted on ALL selectees who have shown an interest in processing their case will, it's not something the CO does if he feels like.

Also if you're going to make a suggestion to someone along the line you've done, you had better be ready to explain to them the process and cost of petitioning for a relative. The reason people are being encouraged to apply the way @Britsimon and @SusieQQQ have suggested has nothing to do with the fear of an intended spouse being abandoned once the other party crosses over.

Bottom line is get a clear understanding of the process and the guidelines before proffering misleading or half truth suggestions to others