• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Hi everyone,
I am new here. First, i want to thank you all for your fruitful help.
I am a DV2015 selectee with CN AF0024**. As i have seen in the conversations, my Interview would be in Oct, right?
So, I have one question,..
My fiance and I were planned to marry by Mid of September after we graduated, we were university students. I graduated last month and he will next month too. My question: Is that OK to go for the marriage at this time, so that we can go together? Or should we call off the wedding and marry after the Interview? In the later case, he should stay here(my country) and i will leave alone. If so, how long it would take after i leave without him and come back to take him?
*Sorry for my English, i will try to explain more if my question is not clear
Thanks

It will be much easier for you to marry before the interview, but as you are doing it just before there will not be time for KCC to add him to the notification so you will need to contact the embassy when you get married - they will have your file by then. Your marriage will be scrutinized so take as much as evidence as you can of a genuine relationship.

If you get married after the interview it can take 1-2 years after you enter the US and will be a far more expensive and complicated process to get him a green card.Much better to get married before, then he just gets one with you.

It will be much easier for you to marry before the interview, but as you are doing it just before there will not be time for KCC to add him to the notification so you will need to contact the embassy when you get married - they will have your file by then. Your marriage will be scrutinized so take as much as evidence as you can of a genuine relationship.

If you get married after the interview it can take 1-2 years after you enter the US and will be a far more expensive and complicated process to get him a green card.Much better to get married before, then he just gets one with you.
Thank you for your fast response Susie!

About its 'genuinity' we have been together for almost three years. But i dont know what kind of evidence might be used for that. What kind of evidence do you think is sufficient? Is it possible to be rejected because of that?( if they won't be convinced by the evidences?)

Thank you for your fast response Susie!

About its 'genuinity' we have been together for almost three years. But i dont know what kind of evidence might be used for that. What kind of evidence do you think is sufficient? Is it possible to be rejected because of that?( if they won't be convinced by the evidences?)

So, things like photos together in different places, phone logs/emails/Facebook etc of communication, pictures of your engagement party, pictures of you with each other's family, if you have ever lived together then evidence of that etc.

So, things like photos together in different places, phone logs/emails/Facebook etc of communication, pictures of your engagement party, pictures of you with each other's family, if you have ever lived together then evidence of that etc.
Ohh, thanks again! we have a lot of photos and i communication in Viber, Whatsup, facebook and etc.
So is that enough? Is there any specific case similar to mine?

Hi everyone, hope u all r doing well,
As i'm new here among u experts so can u plz help me in two concerns:

First: my CN: 2015AS18xxx is there any hope !!! I dont know y asia numbers decreased that much in last two years !!

Second: can i try 2016 dv or not ?

Thank u.

Hi everyone, hope u all r doing well,
As i'm new here among u experts so can u plz help me in two concerns:

First: my CN: 2015AS18xxx is there any hope !!! I dont know y asia numbers decreased that much in last two years !!

Second: can i try 2016 dv or not ?

Thank u.

There is always some hope - no one really knows how DV2015 is going to go for sure - although if we compare it to DV2014 we can say that your number is at a risky level. You can and should enter DV2016.

There is always some hope - no one really knows how DV2015 is going to go for sure - although if we compare it to DV2014 we can say that your number is at a risky level. You can and should enter DV2016.
Thank u very much .....wish we can see something different for Asia in 2105.
Is it clear when october bulletin could be ready ?

Ohh, thanks again! we have a lot of photos and i communication in Viber, Whatsup, facebook and etc.
So is that enough? Is there any specific case similar to mine?

I think it will be enough, and you will have your wedding photos to add. Preferably with all the families in the pictures too.

I think it will be enough, and you will have your wedding photos to add. Preferably with all the families in the pictures too.
Okay, thats a relief! Thank you very much!

I still wanted to know more if there was a similar case with mine, in the past or in DV2015?
And one more thing:
He applied for F1 Visa this month and rejected. Would that be a problem? Could that affect his chance?

Britsmion, do you have any information about similar cases like mine?
I heard most people avoid this kind of think just to avoid risks of rejection. But i really wanted to go with him.
Is there any success or failure story?

Britsmion, do you have any information about similar cases like mine?
I heard most people avoid this kind of think just to avoid risks of rejection. But i really wanted to go with him.
Is there any success or failure story?

There are MANY cases just like yours. Susie has given you excellent advice - based on her excellent understanding of the rules and the process itself. You would be NUTS not to take advantage of this opportunity - but as Susie explained, you need to be able to proove your relationship is real. If they are not convinced, then can deny you both and worse. However if your relationship is real that should not be an issue at all.

The reason for the F1 rejection might be impactful. You might want to clarify that.

There are MANY cases just like yours. Susie has given you excellent advice - based on her excellent understanding of the rules and the process itself. You would be NUTS not to take advantage of this opportunity - but as Susie explained, you need to be able to proove your relationship is real. If they are not convinced, then can deny you both and worse. However if your relationship is real that should not be an issue at all.

The reason for the F1 rejection might be impactful. You might want to clarify that.
Okay, Thanks for your fast response!

About the reason for the F1 rejection was 214(b) second check box:
"You have not shown that you are a student qualified to pursue a full course of study in the United States, ...."

The reason CO rejected his application was, i think, because he was going to study the same level of degree with same title. But the stream was different.
How much would that affect?

Okay, Thanks for your fast response!

About the reason for the F1 rejection was 214(b) second check box:
"You have not shown that you are a student qualified to pursue a full course of study in the United States, ...."

The reason CO rejected his application was, i think, because he was going to study the same level of degree with same title. But the stream was different.
How much would that affect?

In that case, there is no effect of the rejection on the DV application.

Go and get married. If you have not alr5eady submitted your 260 form, hold off until after the wedding. That will delay the case a bit, but make it easier. If you HAVE submitted the 260 as single I would even suggest immediately requesting them to unlock the 260 and again submitting after the wedding. The reason for that is that you need to attend the interview with your new hubby and your low number means you will be scheduled for an October interview. Some embassies (not all) make it difficult to take a family member that is not on the 2NL. So - given that you have plenty of time a deliberate delaying of the case is the simplest solution.

In that case, there is no effect of the rejection on the DV application.

Go and get married. If you have not alr5eady submitted your 260 form, hold off until after the wedding. That will delay the case a bit, but make it easier. If you HAVE submitted the 260 as single I would even suggest immediately requesting them to unlock the 260 and again submitting after the wedding. The reason for that is that you need to attend the interview with your new hubby and your low number means you will be scheduled for an October interview. Some embassies (not all) make it difficult to take a family member that is not on the 2NL. So - given that you have plenty of time a deliberate delaying of the case is the simplest solution.
Great!! :)

I already submitted my 260 form in June. I am going to apply in US embassy in Ethiopia. And our wedding is on Mid-September.

Given these information, by the time of our wedding my interview would be scheduled. I remember you saying, the "Current" for october will be announced in one or two weeks. Don't you think asking to unlock my DS260 form would be too late? Should we get married as soon as we can, like early September?

(I apologise if i am asking the obvious. I wanted your (Susie's) opinion on this)

Great!! :)

I already submitted my 260 form in June. I am going to apply in US embassy in Ethiopia. And our wedding is on Mid-September.

Given these information, by the time of our wedding my interview would be scheduled. I remember you saying, the "Current" for october will be announced in one or two weeks. Don't you think asking to unlock my DS260 form would be too late? Should we get married as soon as we can, like early September?

(I apologise if i am asking the obvious. I wanted your (Susie's) opinion on this)

It isn't impossible to let the embassy know you are bring a new partner - I just think it is better to delay things so you don't have the hassle of getting your husband into the embassy without the hassle. Your call though - either way "should" work.

It isn't impossible to let the embassy know you are bring a new partner - I just think it is better to delay things so you don't have the hassle of getting your husband into the embassy without the hassle. Your call though - either way "should" work.
Okay.

(1) I understand, but can you re-state what you mean 'Your call though - either way "should" work'?
(2) When should i let the embassy know about it and How (email or is there any other forms i should submit)?
(3) Can you tell me your opinion how should i proceed with each steps. (what i should do from now on)?

Okay.

(1) I understand, but can you re-state what you mean 'Your call though - either way "should" work'?
(2) When should i let the embassy know about it and How (email or is there any other forms i should submit)?
(3) Can you tell me your opinion how should i proceed with each steps. (what i should do from now on)?

I think this has mostly been covered. But one more time....

You have two choices. Delay your processing (Option A) or not (Option B).

Option A - unlock your DS260 to avoid being scheduled in just your name (perhaps phone KCC rather than just email). Get married. Resubmit the 260 with for you and your husband.
Option B - Don't unlock. Wait until married. Email KCC with a copy of the marriage cert, follow their instructions. Try and get your new hubby in the embassy for the interview.

Option B is a little harder this year compared to before. In the past, someone could submit their spouses forms (and corrections to their own) with the marriage cert by email. Since the 260 is online, I don't know how you will provide your husbands details. For that reason, and given that you have plenty of time, I recommend Option A.

Option A - unlock your DS260 to avoid being scheduled in just your name (perhaps phone KCC rather than just email). Get married. Resubmit the 260 with for you and your husband.
Option B - Don't unlock. Wait until married. Email KCC with a copy of the marriage cert, follow their instructions. Try and get your new hubby in the embassy for the interview.

Option B is a little harder this year compared to before. In the past, someone could submit their spouses forms (and corrections to their own) with the marriage cert by email. Since the 260 is online, I don't know how you will provide your husbands details. For that reason, and given that you have plenty of time, I recommend Option A.
Okay, Thank you very much!

I think we should talk and decide with him.

Thanks again, for your priceless effort!

Actually with Option A, I believe I've read from one of the official sources (unfortunately I don't recollect which one at the moment) that unlocking the DS form will not cause a delay in scheduling. What I'm not certain about though is if KCC will still go ahead and schedule anyone who is current even if they've not re-submitted their application. I need to find that source and go over it again to get a better understanding.