• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 winners from Sri Lanka

hi all, i have a good news to tell u all. finally i got my visa. thank you so much every one who gave me support and courage. although i did not actively participated to the forum, i learned a lot from you guys. sorry for not mentioning every one personally. special thanks goes to britsimon. his information, ideas and guidance helped me a lot to get this. actually it is not a big thing once you have all the relevant documents they are asking. i am a Sri Lankan and i faced my interview in NZ. if any body wants advice or information, i will be willingly to help you all.

Congratulations!

Hi Friends, :)

I have 3 issues, 1st and 2nd are coupled together.
This is a bit confusing and bear with me :oops:. I am hoping to comeback just after entering US for the first time (for educational purposes).

• Some people say that it is a must to stay in US till you get the plastic green card mailed to your door step.
  • But some say the temporary green card is the stamp that you get when entering US, by an immigrant officer at the airport. As they say, using that stamp in the passport, we can travel and comeback to US (before expiration of the date on the stamp- it is normally 6 months).
  • But some say this can cause suspicion in maintaining the status of the green card.
So, what is the general legal opinion on these statements above ?. and what should I do? Can I leave the country immediate next day or so after getting the stamp or do I have to wait until the green card arrives by mail?.

Again, when the green card comes by the mail, and if I am away(form US) and if one can collect (my husband) it and mail it to me by some secure means (eg:DHL), can I still stay away more than 6 months (ignoring the expiration of the stamp on my passport which I used as my temporary green card) because now the minimum stay out time becomes 1 year, since now I have the green card with me?.

In my case, the dependent (my husband) will stay in US while I come back and complete my things in my mother country. So, what is the status of this? I know that it is possible. But, is there any risk or is it completely OK for my husband to stay while I am away (I will be coming back in an year after completing my stuff)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have to make plans and change plans according to these, Its better to clarify these before going because the resources we have at the moment is scares and we have to spend them wisely ;) . So, these information will be very helpful for us to come up with a solid plan for the challenging journey ahead :rolleyes:.

Thanks!!!!

hi all, i have a good news to tell u all. finally i got my visa. thank you so much every one who gave me support and courage. although i did not actively participated to the forum, i learned a lot from you guys. sorry for not mentioning every one personally. special thanks goes to britsimon. his information, ideas and guidance helped me a lot to get this. actually it is not a big thing once you have all the relevant documents they are asking. i am a Sri Lankan and i faced my interview in NZ. if any body wants advice or information, i will be willingly to help you all.

Congratulations ////

Good life and land of opportunities also people here respect each other no matter what religion and race really,

Lots of job opportunities.

I can't stay here because I got a good job in another country but I will come back here after 2 years
Guess, you are getting a reentry permit, You are not missing it. are you?

Remember all Sri Lankans; the local guys working in US embassy Colombo are really not helpful said:
200% agreed!! but not sure about the reason, Its good to find out, so that we can be some help to the new winners!!

Hi Friends, :)

I have 3 issues, 1st and 2nd are coupled together.
This is a bit confusing and bear with me :oops:. I am hoping to comeback just after entering US for the first time (for educational purposes).

• Some people say that it is a must to stay in US till you get the plastic green card mailed to your door step.
  • But some say the temporary green card is the stamp that you get when entering US, by an immigrant officer at the airport. As they say, using that stamp in the passport, we can travel and comeback to US (before expiration of the date on the stamp- it is normally 6 months).
  • But some say this can cause suspicion in maintaining the status of the green card.
So, what is the general legal opinion on these statements above ?. and what should I do? Can I leave the country immediate next day or so after getting the stamp or do I have to wait until the green card arrives by mail?.

Again, when the green card comes by the mail, and if I am away(form US) and if one can collect (my husband) it and mail it to me by some secure means (eg:DHL), can I still stay away more than 6 months (ignoring the expiration of the stamp on my passport which I used as my temporary green card) because now the minimum stay out time becomes 1 year, since now I have the green card with me?.

In my case, the dependent (my husband) will stay in US while I come back and complete my things in my mother country. So, what is the status of this? I know that it is possible. But, is there any risk or is it completely OK for my husband to stay while I am away (I will be coming back in an year after completing my stuff)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have to make plans and change plans according to these, Its better to clarify these before going because the resources we have at the moment is scares and we have to spend them wisely ;) . So, these information will be very helpful for us to come up with a solid plan for the challenging journey ahead :rolleyes:.

Thanks!!!!

1. You can leave the same day you enter if you like. There is no minimum time. Upon entering, the stamp in your passport is your LPR status proof (good for the first year) after entering. There are some issues about showing you are treating the USA as your home, but I think it is easier for the absence for the first year after LPR activation.
2. The GC will arrive by mail. The person receiving it can certainly mail/courier it to you.
3. No issue. He will be an LPR in his own right, not dependent on you. The fact that he is staying will also help with the concerns you raised in Q1.

Question for sri lankan winners, .regarding the birth certificate the certified copy issued from the district office is ok ?do they accept that? .

Getting certified from the foreign ministry is not a big thing.everyone just get it pls.just need a day off thats all.

Its easy for some, it depends on your luck at the moment.

[QUOTE="The fact that he is staying will also help with the concerns you raised in Q1.

Hi Britsimon,

Its good to see you :). You mean in a positive way or in a negative way? Or am I over thinking on this? :confused:[/QUOTE]

In a positive way. The concern that an LPR has when they take an extended absence from the USA is the possibility that the LPR is accused of abandoning their LPR status - for failing to maintain ties to the USA like keeping a home and so on. Having a home/hubby there is pretty good proof that you intend to return...

Hi Britsimon,

Its good to see you :). You mean in a positive way or in a negative way? Or am I over thinking on this? :confused:

In a positive way. The concern that an LPR has when they take an extended absence from the USA is the possibility that the LPR is accused of abandoning their LPR status - for failing to maintain ties to the USA like keeping a home and so on. Having a home/hubby there is pretty good proof that you intend to return...[/QUOTE]

Aha.. :):):):) Great!!!

Thanks you.

Hi Britsimon et al.,

I just need to clear some doubts. I'm from Sri Lanka and I have 2 passes at GCE A/L in Bio Science stream. I work as a Credit Control Executive since 2010 and before that I was working at a BPO company for 3 years. Do you think that I can well pass the interview with my work experience. I checked O*NET with my designation, but it doesn't exactly show my designation but it shows Credit Analyst and Credit Counselors according to the relevance score (http://www.onetonline.org/find/quick?s=Credit+Control+Executive). My job description matches the tasks mentioned under Credit Analyst. What do you think about my case? I mentioned in my forms which I sent to KCC my designation as Credit Control Executive and I have got a letter from my employer as a Credit Control Executive with the job description.
Please give your insights.

Thanks

Hi Britsimon et al.,

I just need to clear some doubts. I'm from Sri Lanka and I have 2 passes at GCE A/L in Bio Science stream. I work as a Credit Control Executive since 2010 and before that I was working at a BPO company for 3 years. Do you think that I can well pass the interview with my work experience. I checked O*NET with my designation, but it doesn't exactly show my designation but it shows Credit Analyst and Credit Counselors according to the relevance score (http://www.onetonline.org/find/quick?s=Credit Control Executive). My job description matches the tasks mentioned under Credit Analyst. What do you think about my case? I mentioned in my forms which I sent to KCC my designation as Credit Control Executive and I have got a letter from my employer as a Credit Control Executive with the job description.
Please give your insights.

Thanks

I assume you are talking about work experience because you don't qualify on education - SL now insists on 3 a levels, so that is probably correct.

The good news is that the job you are doing sounds at the right level, and you have enough years of experience. So it should be possible to make the case work if you put some effort in to preparation. However, be advised, work experience approval is subjective, so you do run a risk that the CO doesn't accept your assessment of the job match, or the proof you are able to show.

I assume you are talking about work experience because you don't qualify on education - SL now insists on 3 a levels, so that is probably correct.

The good news is that the job you are doing sounds at the right level, and you have enough years of experience. So it should be possible to make the case work if you put some effort in to preparation. However, be advised, work experience approval is subjective, so you do run a risk that the CO doesn't accept your assessment of the job match, or the proof you are able to show.
Thank you Britsimon for your inputs. Could you please tell me how should I prepare for this case if you have any better idea? I have got a letter from my current employer stating the job description. Do you think anything extra I have to prepare? I have all the things in place, ie. i-134 forms and all the other documents right now.

That's good, add in a detailed resume, any letters of promotion, pay rises, appraisals and work product. Make a nice folder.

Hi all,

My visa was refused by the colombo embassy on 12th of august due to technical fault i did during the online application process on 2012. According to the embassy, i must add my ex-wife & son's details to the application even the divorced case was ongoing at the courts. we got the final decision by courts on october 2013. Due to this matter , they denied my case. i was so upset since i have all the other paper qualifications.

I have a one question, in the refusal letter, they have not tick a reason for my refusal. but, the counselor told my verbally the reason. Can anybody explain this ?. any chance to appeal ?.

So confused...................

Lakshan.

Hi all,

My visa was refused by the colombo embassy on 12th of august due to technical fault i did during the online application process on 2012. According to the embassy, i must add my ex-wife & son's details to the application even the divorced case was ongoing at the courts. we got the final decision by courts on october 2013. Due to this matter , they denied my case. i was so upset since i have all the other paper qualifications.

I have a one question, in the refusal letter, they have not tick a reason for my refusal. but, the counselor told my verbally the reason. Can anybody explain this ?. any chance to appeal ?.

So confused...................

Lakshan.

I am very sorry to hear this :(
Unfortunately you can't appeal but even if you could this is an absolute disqualification reason, it could not be reversed.