Citizenship interview + name change + international travel

kateinnyc

Hi there,

I have my citizenship interview on 8/26 in NYC (Federal Plaza). On my N400 application, I requested a name change upon receiving my citizenship. I have an overseas trip booked for 9/6. I'd appreciate some help with the following questions:

1) Assuming my interview goes well and I am granted citizenship, will I be able to take my citizenship oath that same day? I'm not sure whether the fact I'm changing my name will slow things down.

2) If I don't get to take the oath on 8/26, when will I get to take it?

I am trying to figure out whether I am likely to become a citizen before 9/6, and will thus need to do a rush passport application, change the name on my plane tickets, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You can't get same-day oath with name change, unless the name change is only to take your spouse's last name AND the location offers same-day oath AND they approve your case fast enough to get you into the same day oath.

Note that whether they offer same-day oath or not, at the interview you can ask for your oath to be after a given date (in your case, sometime after the end of your trip).

Thank you, that's helpful. The name change IS to take my spouse's last name, but given the uncertainty of the other factors, it looks like the best course of action for me is to request that my oath takes place once I get back from my trip.