• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Hi All,
I had my interview last week. I think it went OK. The IO did not ask any complicated questions. Just to show him some documents and to answer whether we were ever convicted or deported from the US. In the end he said that everything looks fine, wrote something in the passport. He did not stamp our passport, b/c he said he does not have our visa #.
Meanwhile I did not see any change in our case status. Mine is still under "acceptance" and my hubby's is under "initial review". How long does it take the card to arrive? Should I be concerned with the case status?
Thanks

Did the officer say anything?
Mine told me that my case was approved, checked that little square on his form, and told me to wait for my GC within the next 2 weeks, max a month.

OK so I am thinking how to be best prepared for my infopass next week. One of the possible delays is the FO saying they don't have the file from KCC. So I contacted KCC to check on that - and they confirmed they had sent the file to my FO on May 28th - which is good news. At least I will be able to shut down any reason to delay the case.

So, in terms of a checklist:-
The FO have my KCC file (sent May 28)
They have my Biometrics (June 6)
The have the expedite requests and had confirmed receipt of those requests. (Requested in July 3, receipted by the FO July 7)

So - my plan is to go armed with a timeline of all these things, proof I was current in June, the printed memo saying they should handle DV cases before 9/30. I also plan to take all the paperwork and be ready for an impromptu interview (think big). Anything else I should take?

Mrs and Miss Britsimon, of course :p

OK so I am thinking how to be best prepared for my infopass next week. One of the possible delays is the FO saying they don't have the file from KCC. So I contacted KCC to check on that - and they confirmed they had sent the file to my FO on May 28th - which is good news. At least I will be able to shut down any reason to delay the case.

The have the expedite requests and had confirmed receipt of those requests. (Requested in July 3, receipted by the FO July 7)

So - my plan is to go armed with a timeline of all these things, proof I was current in June, the printed memo saying they should handle DV cases before 9/30. I also plan to take all the paperwork and be ready for an impromptu interview (think big). Anything else I should take?
The only issue I could see (for the delay) is if they say that they are waiting for your bio-metrics/background check ! I can not recall have you followed up if that step has been cleared....and prepared strategy in that event?
You have been so helpful to everybody else here with our questions and concerns , and so generous with your time and knowledge on the issue(s), so every day when I am checking this forum I hope to read a positive movement of the status of your case! Hopefully it is going to happen next week...before your Info-pass...and when you least expect it ! Good luck!

Reactions: CWH
My best luck wishes :)

Can I tell them that WEreck_it_Ralph will come in and wreck their office if they don't hurry up!
The only issue I could see (for the delay) is if they say that they are waiting for your bio-metrics/background check ! I can not recall have you followed up if that step has been cleared....and prepared strategy in that event?
You have been so helpful to everybody else here with our questions and concerns , and so generous with your time and knowledge on the issue(s), so every day when I am checking this forum I hope to read a positive movement of the status of your case! Hopefully it is going to happen next week...before your Info-pass...and when you least expect it ! Good luck!

Hmm, I think the biometric is fine. But yeah, interesting point on the background check. Maybe they dug up some dark history on me!!! Eeek!

Joking apart, given that they only just cleared me to get the H1 visa and I just entered in February, I hope my background check is ok. Thanks for the positive thoughts. I'm sure I'll be ok - but partly sharing my process here in case it helps others....

Good luck for your intterview simonn for you its a piece of cake :)
Btw do you have to take the kids with? Or its not the same in aos ?

my sister got a biometrics letter with a schedule on 08/13 in Indianapolis, IN. she plans to have a walk-in this coming monday.

1. are there anything in particular that she needs to do or say to the officer as to why she wants to go for a walk-in?
2. in general, walk-ins will have to wait for those with an appointment to finish, right? do walk-ins need to wait for hours on average to get it done?

thanks!

My husband has been given an interview appointment on Sept 11, I hope that there will still be visas available for Africa region. I also got an email from KCC that his file was sent on 07/24 to his respective consulate. I am quite surprised that my I-824 was not needed at all since the check is yet to be cashed and I have not received any notice of acceptance. It seems that co-ordination between FO, KCC and respective consulate is the most important factor for a ftj. I also think it is a good thing to file for I-824 just to play safe. I do not know, these are just my opinions.

Congratulations on your case coming this far. Now all your husband has to do is complete his medical, ensure his documents are all taken care of and wait for 9/11.

By the way, when I mentioned the I-824 form in one of my previous response to you, it's not something you were supposed to pay an additional filing fee for. Your FO should have collected it following at the end of your interview once the decision was made to approve your case. I know you finally sent in the form out of frustration with the application filing fee because you weren't getting any useful response from KCC or USCIS initially. You may want to contact USCIS to find out how to withdraw it, the form you sent in is obviously not needed.

my sister got a biometrics letter with a schedule on 08/13 in Indianapolis, IN. she plans to have a walk-in this coming monday.

1. are there anything in particular that she needs to do or say to the officer as to why she wants to go for a walk-in?
2. in general, walk-ins will have to wait for those with an appointment to finish, right? do walk-ins need to wait for hours on average to get it done?

thanks!

There's no guarantee of being successful with a walk in bio, it's simply an attempt, so no one can tell you precisely what to say. Most people simply walk in and hand over their appointment notice, and the outcome depends on how busy the ASC is when they arrive, and/or the mood of the ASC staff. People are often attended to based on when they arrived at the center.

thanks!

The success of walk ins seems to vary by office. In Oakland, CA for example, there is no problem doing a walk in - whereas other offices seem to think it is a felony to even ask to do that. Some people have given a reason such as going on a trip, but they may then be asked to show proof of flights etc. So - I would recommend using charm, and, if necessary a tear or too, but in the end it may not be possible regardless.

Yeah I should imagine it would take longer - just depends how busy they are. Again, Oakland seemed awesome for that (no waiting at all).

thanks!

Philadelphia FO here. I walked in the following day I received the letter. I arrived early in the morning, before they opened the doors. A security staff was checking if everyone had an appointment or infopass. I showed mine, he said that they weren't accepting people without appointments. Eventually, he said he was going to call the IO to as if it is ok which he did. Then he told me that the office was very busy and I should come during lunchtime. I went home and came back at noon. The first officer was hesitant about letting me in, so she asked her colleague. Her colleague then politely told me that they would take me in after finishing up the people with appointments. After 1.5 hour of wait, I was in. So yeah, you can wait for 1+ hour depending on how busy the office is.

Hi everyone:

my wife and I just went to FO with Infopass yesterday, the IO was nice.
But she can't just schedule an interview for us immediately.
She just copied our IDs and said she will report our situation.
Then just told us wait for our IL. I am not sure it is helpful or not.
It seems nothing forward.
How long we need to ask if we still don't get the IL??
or when should I contact the congressman is better??
Actually, my case number is current in May. so stressful...

Oh, btw, At least we make sure that we can bring our baby into our USCIS FO without showing anything.

Last edited:

thanks!

What is your sister’s USCIS field office?

Hey guys! Can somebody please give me a link for our timeline? I want to update my info but can't find a link:( Thanks!

https://d o c s.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1diw52WTN39CjpBZMMqBRqPGs-mUqK3b2w1B57GSW0go/edit#gid=432767354

Remove the spaces between DOCS. I did it like that because it embeds the excel sheet into the forum, otherwise!

But, as it's mentioned black on red, do not edit your timeline yet. it seems that @Sm1smom is still working on it.

thanks for sharing your walk-in experiences. i had to ask because the appoitment my sister got is at 8am and it is a 2-hour driving from our town to indianapolis, IN. i think walk-in might help. i don't know how to exercise charm, @Britsimon, but i will pass it on to her to figure out :p

by the way, can we get a biometrics at the other location e.g. chicago center? we will go up to chicago on monday anyway and it's gonna a 2-hr driving to indianapolis center, and another 4-hour driving to chicago.

@MK999 i am not sure about FO but i don't think she will know her FO until she gets an interview letter. right?

thanks!

Here is my walk in experience:
I think that ASC is less busy in the mid afternoon. Therefore, I went to my ASC around 2:45 and no applicant was there. However, the guard didnt let me in at first. i explained my AOS is time sensitive and showed him the 2nd notification letter. He still doesn't believe me and gave me a sermon about letting me in is not fair but he finally let me in. Different ASC may be different. It may be better to go there in the adternoon and try to convince them DV is time sensitive. 2nd notification letter may not be enough because the guard of my ASC argued that selectee only need to apply befoe Sep 30. Good luck!