Question regarding Fed. income tax

Fimstere

Registered Users (C)
I entered as a permanent resident on January 10th, 2014.

Do I have to pay taxes for my 2013 earnings (by April 15th) even though I wasn't a permanent resident in 2013?

Do I have to pay taxes for my 2013 earnings (by April 15th) even though I wasn't a permanent resident in 2013?

Possibly yes, if you were working in the US in 2013.

You said you entered the US as a permanent resident in 2014, but you didn't say if that was the first time in your life you entered the US.

Wasn't the first time I "entered" the US, but all the other times were as a visitor. I have never worked in the US.

Wasn't the first time I "entered" the US, but all the other times were as a visitor. I have never worked in the US.

Just to keep straight records witgh IRS, You can still file a 1040 with income zero entered.

But do not file a 1040NR even if you was indeed a non-resident for the tax year 2013.

Just to keep straight records witgh IRS, You can still file a 1040 with income zero entered.

But do not file a 1040NR even if you was indeed a non-resident for the tax year 2013.

This is wrong. You cannot file 1040 if you were nonresident alien for tax purposes for that year.

This is wrong. You cannot file 1040 if you were nonresident alien for tax purposes for that year.

But on N-400 there is a question:"Have you called yourself a non-resident since becoming a PR?". So even filing for 2013 during which you were a non-resident, I am not sure if you can call youselr a non-resident.

But on N-400 there is a question:"Have you called yourself a non-resident since becoming a PR?". So even filing for 2013 during which you were a non-resident, I am not sure if you can call youselr a non-resident.

By filing 1040NR, you are saying you were a nonresident alien for that year, not that you are currently a nonresident alien. If nonresident aliens could file as resident aliens, then they could avail themselves of a lot of things like standard deduction, and many tax deductions and credits like child tax credit that nonresident aliens are not supposed to be able to use.