• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Tee
Just to add to what britsimon says. My consulate also does not mention financial proof. But we were asked. Others have been asked to get an I134. Even though the initial response is the same as your consulate.
More to the point there was another thread recently from someone at the Paris consulate. Panicking. Why? Because everyone he had spoken to and every forum had told him he didn't need an I134. "No-one" had "ever" been asked for an I134. Guess what he was asked for? He is now on AP with precious little time to sort something out.
The point britsimon is making is that you cannot know for sure that no one is ever asked for one unless you are a consular officer working there. You can say that as far as you know no-one has been asked for. But what is as far as you know is a few people out of thousands.

Hi, Tew thank you for your helpful information. i want to ask you one question Do i need to authenticate the high school transcript which shows the marks i scored from grade 9-12?

I th
Tew, you are getting terminology mixed up and therefore jumping to the wrong conclusion.

There are types of immigration cases that require a sponsor (Family based or employment based for example). For those, a sponsor is the person the person who is making an application of behalf of a beneficiary - and is therefore the sponsor. A sponsor is NOT required in any DV lottery case - that is NOT country specific it is because the DV selectees do not have a sponsor in the way that EB or FB cases have.

Now then, people get mixed up (as you have) between a sponsor and a person providing an affidavit of support. The fact is that in ALL DV cases (Ethiopia and everywhere else) the CO has to be consider whether the selectee will or will not become a public charge. That is not stated because it is a standard rule and the pdf you provided does not cover all the rules. Some embassies are explcit about needing it, but NO embassy will say it is not needed, because they cannot make a statement that is contrary to the rules.

Now, in order to satisfy the requirement the CO may ask for evidence that the selectee can support themselves. They can do that in a number of ways (bank statements, job offer in the US, or an I-134. The CO is more or less likely to ask for that depending on the circumstances of the selectee. I can accept that it might be rare for a CO to ask for this proof, but it must happen sometimes and it is NOT something that has changed ion some official way - the law has not changed. However, making a blanket statement that it would not be asked for based on the handful of cases here or your own experience is not a good idea. I'm glad that you framed your advice in a way that suggest people should get it if they need it. The reality is, any selectee will need some resources to make their way in the US as there are very few ways to get support here.
Dear Brisimon
Try to be efficient , you should not really exhaust your energy, as the guide from US embassy in Addis Abebe clearly stated AOS is not required. So it is not a point of argument. The actual practice in DV 2014 also showed that it was not required. So please move to the next step. What Tew said is clear and correct.

I've said what I had to say AND posted official communication. Ethiopian winners from 2013 and 2014 have ALL confirmed what the Embassy's handout shows - they were not asked proof of finances. If people want to believe people who've never been to the US Embassy here or have had any communication with them whatsoever, that's on them.

Some people on this forum need to understand they're not experts on every country - perhaps then there wouldn't be any brick walls. Arguing for the sake of arguing leads nowhere - my advice is clear and has been clear from the very first post - the chance of being asked is very very low. IF you can get an AoS, then get one. If not, the chance of being asked is so low you can take the tiny risk and go empty-handed. The likely outcome is no one will care to ask - if they do, they'll give you time to collect the document. That's all. Talk about a brick wall.

Last edited:
Hi, Tew thank you for your helpful information. i want to ask you one question Do i need to authenticate the high school transcript which shows the marks i scored from grade 9-12?

I didn't authenticate mine, and the CO didn't say anything. I believe they want your graduation record alone to be authenticated, but you could get it done just to be safe. ESLCE or 10+3 documents must be authenticated. When you photocopy the originals, make sure to photocopy the authentication as well.

I've said what I had to say AND posted official communication. Ethiopian winners from 2013 and 2014 have ALL confirmed what the Embassy's handout shows - they were not asked proof of finances. If people want to believe people who've never been to the US Embassy here or have had any communication with them whatsoever, that's on them.

Some people on this forum need to understand they're not experts on every country - perhaps then there wouldn't be any brick walls. Arguing for the sake of arguing leads nowhere - my advice is clear and has been clear from the very first post - the chance of being asked is very very low. IF you can get an AoS, then get one. If not, the chance of being asked is so low you can take the tiny risk and go empty-handed. The likely outcome is no one will care to ask - if they do, they'll give you time to collect the document. That's all. Talk about a brick wall.

Tew, I have read the rules. I don't need to visit the embassy in Ethiopia to give good advice, so please be respectful of the time I have spent learning about this and helping others here in many countries including Ethiopia. I appreciate you are giving a point of view and not trying to hurt anyone - but your advice is introducing a risk that does not have to be there. You are essentially telling people to get themselves into AP - and believe me, we are about to see lots of AP stories that won't end well. I am not saying your point that the risk "very very low" is wrong, but I am saying that there is a risk.

The Ethiopian embassy do not have some special set of rules - you and everyone else is supposed to have read the instructions and Ethiopia play by the same rules as everywhere else. Take a look at the official instructions for 2015 (2014 and previous years had the same information). This is linked from the US embassy in Addis Ababa. Here is what it says...

37. If I receive a visa through the DV program, will the U.S. government pay for my airfare to the
United States, help me find housing and employment, and/or provide healthcare or any subsidies
until I am fully settled?
No. The U.S. government will not provide any of these services to you if you receive a visa through the DV
program. If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will be required to provide evidence that you will not
become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a
combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134)
submitted by a relative or friend
residing in the United States, an offer of employment from an employer in the United States, or other
evidence.

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DV-2015-Instructions-Translations/DV_2015_Instructions.pdf

Okay Simon and Tew, I think this issue of aos has been over-flogged enough! You both should agree to disagree and move on. The 2015 DV selectees now have the opportunity to read your different POV and they can make their own informed opinion and decide on what they want or wish to do.

Let's have a friendly and peaceful atmosphere please. Thank you!!

So what part of my advice is bad? I am seriously bewildered here. Did I tell people not to take AoS? Did I tell them it is never asked? I have been very careful not to post in the absolute on this issue - my very first post on this issue, I added the qualifier "generally." I said over and over it's better to be overprepared so to take it if they can get one, and I specifically said to contact the embassy directly themselves to hear from them and have written evidence.

The document you posted is standard issue from the DoS, the document I posted is directly from the Embassy here with instructions specific to Ethiopians. It's a given that the CO can at any point ask for financial proof, but the likelihood of being asked is vastly different based on the Embassy people interview at. This is an absolute truth that you can see by visiting different threads on this forum alone.

The point is, there is no need to feel the chance of getting a visa is gone if they don't have an AoS in hand by interview time since the likelihood of being asked is low. That's all I'm pointing out. So what's the problem??? Do you want me to state they will be asked for sure when I know that's not true??

And no, we are not going to see a massive number of AP cases, it's unnecessarily alarmist to post such a thing without an iota of proof, and frankly very disrespectful of the advice I am giving.

You are discounting the experiences of people who have walked the walk in the Embassy, even though we are best placed to say what's the latest information there. Keep in mind we live in Ethiopia, and we know many many people who have gone through the DV process, so our opinion is not solely based on what 20 people on a forum say. I haven't lied to them about anything: the chance of being asked IS very low if they interview in Addis Ababa. I am yet to run into anyone interviewed the past three years that was asked for an AoS, and believe me, I've been asking around. In fact, as soon as I ask people, the first thing they say is "I thought they no longer ask for it for DV?"

The rest of us are also here to be helpful to others, not to waste our time and amuse ourselves by sending people to AP. I already finished with my processing almost 2 months ago, so I have no other reason to be here than to help my fellow countrymen as they navigate this process. Please be mindful of that.

So what part of my advice is bad? I am seriously bewildered here. Did I tell people not to take AoS? Did I tell them it is never asked? I have been very careful not to post in the absolute on this issue - my very first post on this issue, I added the qualifier "generally." I said over and over it's better to be overprepared so to take it if they can get one, and I specifically said to contact the embassy directly themselves to hear from them and have written evidence.

The document you posted is standard issue from the DoS, the document I posted is directly from the Embassy here with instructions specific to Ethiopians. It's a given that the CO can at any point ask for financial proof, but the likelihood of being asked is vastly different based on the Embassy people interview at. This is an absolute truth that you can see by visiting different threads on this forum alone.

The point is, there is no need to feel the chance of getting a visa is gone if they don't have an AoS in hand by interview time since the likelihood of being asked is low. That's all I'm pointing out. So what's the problem??? Do you want me to state they will be asked for sure when I know that's not true??

And no, we are not going to see a massive number of AP cases, it's unnecessarily alarmist to post such a thing without an iota of proof, and frankly very disrespectful of the advice I am giving.

You are discounting the experiences of people who have walked the walk in the Embassy, even though we are best placed to say what's the latest information there. Keep in mind we live in Ethiopia, and we know many many people who have gone through the DV process, so our opinion is not solely based on what 20 people on a forum say. I haven't lied to them about anything: the chance of being asked IS very low if they interview in Addis Ababa. I am yet to run into anyone interviewed the past three years that was asked for an AoS, and believe me, I've been asking around. In fact, as soon as I ask people, the first thing they say is "I thought they no longer ask for it for DV?"

The rest of us are also here to be helpful to others, not to waste our time and amuse ourselves by sending people to AP. I already finished with my processing almost 2 months ago, so I have no other reason to be here than to help my fellow countrymen as they navigate this process. Please be mindful of that.
Dear Tew
Well said, actually the most important thing for us is to get the right information through our country fellows, as the issue was more specific to the Ethiopian. I think you have made your point very clear. The DV 2015 winners for sure follow your advice as your points were based on the experiences of the country refereed and the guide from the Embassy.
I think it is not necessary to argue with individuals who do not know the very specific situations, for that matter it is clearly written in one of the guide that AoS are not required for DV winners, the point mentioned by Simon was just for argument otherwise what he sited as reference is conceptually different.

regards

thanks for posting important reply , thumbs up

so another worry grows here with me , i have applied for a Swedish visa on may and i was refused , European countries will mark on the passport for date of application and i am wondering if the stamp might bring any negative effect on my visa interview ?? shall i get a new passport ??

@ofegi,

Please stop fanning the flame of this AOS debate by stating repeatedly who is right and who is wrong. Both parties involved have been told to agree to disagree and sheet their swords.

IMO, the POV expressed by both are right depending on the angle it's being viewed from, it is however irrelevant at this stage as it has been over flogged. DV2015 selectees should make their own informed decision after reading all these.

Let's put this discussion to bed for good.

dear all
does anybody tell me if authentication of documents in Ethiopia ( ESLC, university degree ) has validity period ? I mean if I get authenticated today will it valid after six or 7 months?
thanks

hi guys, i am on the way to start the process for passport since i havent one , how much time will it take to be granted passport by immigration of ethiopia
it will take three days only, if you have a renewed kebelle identification card

Hi, Tew can i get the birth certificate from any kebele or it must be from the place where i was born?
you can get from any kebeble as long as you registered as newari, for example if u r living in a rented house your landlord can write petition telling that u r residing their for some time by providing your photos to be kept in archive of the specific house @ kebele u want ur id. I did for my husband ! it only took 30mints if your landlord can write to you or u can use ur relative house the same way as you live in a rented house .

thanks for posting important reply , thumbs up

so another worry grows here with me , i have applied for a Swedish visa on may and i was refused , European countries will mark on the passport for date of application and i am wondering if the stamp might bring any negative effect on my visa interview ?? shall i get a new passport ??

That shouldn't be an issue, but if it makes you feel better though, you should get a new passport for your peace of mind.