Citizenship status advice

famousamos

Hi all,

I am currently residing in the US, but was born abroad. My parents were not US citizens when I was born, but my father was naturalized 3 years after my birth. I came to the US when I was 5, and went through the whole green card process. In 2004, (I was under 18), I needed to travel abroad and, I am not entirely aware of the circumstances how, I obtained a US passport. I came back to the US, and my passport soon expired (still under 18), and I applied for it to be renewed. 5 years have now passed and I have a US passport that is valid til 2020.
I do not know if I am a citizen, and if so, on what basis I was awarded the citizenship. I never went to an oath ceremony/got a naturalization certificate/got a certificate of citizenship.

I was hoping someone here would be able to shed some light on the status. Do I need to apply for naturalization, since I am now over 18? I was planning to travel abroad again, and was wondering if there would be any complications.

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks in advance.

You are a U.S. citizen. After February 27, 2001 (the effective date of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000), if at any moment you were a permanent resident (green card holder), under 18, and living in the U.S. with a U.S.-citizen parent, you automatically became a U.S. citizen by INA 320. It is automatic by operation of law, and you don't need to apply for anything. Your getting a U.S. passport was correct. You can get a U.S. passport at anytime after you became a citizen, the proof of citizenship being your green card plus your father's Certificate of Naturalization.

You cannot apply for naturalization because you are a U.S. citizen.

Although it is not mandatory, it may be a good idea to file N-600 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. It is a separate proof of citizenship that doesn't expire, unlike your passport. When you apply for a passport, you need to provide either an old passport or another proof of citizenship. That means if you lose your passport, and you didn't get a Certificate of Citizenship, you then would need to go get your father's Certificate of Naturalization and your old green card, which can be a pain many years from now.

Last edited: