• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi everyone!
I just came back from my infopass. I was asked if I changed my address because my file was sent to the NYC office instead of the Long Island one. It is currently in transit to the Long island one so now I just have to wait. The lady mentioned that I *might* get an interview waiver ( I know it was a possibility)
So no interview letter as of yet. I'm wondering if there are other cases that were sent to the wrong office and rerouted. Now I'm wondering if I should send in the form to get an EAD ( didn't think id need it because processing time ) but now it seems I should go for it. Anyways I hope we start hearing about other people getting their interview letters soon and let's keep that spreadsheet timeline up to date ~

Good luck!

He just needs to wait until he’s been in the US at least 90days before submitting the DS260 with AOS as the process option.

Thanks for the guidance. I am currently filling the DS260 and confused about the last part regarding the SSN Information. Particularly about the question:

"Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social Security number and a card?"

I have a departmental fellowship for this academic year. Therefore, I haven't needed to get an SSN and I currently don't have one. I will switch to a Research Assistantship after May 15th and I will then need to apply for an SSN for that.

Should I say "yes" to the question? In that case, will it cause any delays? If I say "no", would there be any problems since I don't have an SSN?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the guidance. I am currently filling the DS260 and confused about the last part regarding the SSN Information. Particularly about the question:

"Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social Security number and a card?"

I have a departmental fellowship for this academic year. Therefore, I haven't needed to get an SSN and I currently don't have one. I will switch to a Research Assistantship after May 15th and I will then need to apply for an SSN for that.

Should I say "yes" to the question? In that case, will it cause any delays? If I say "no", would there be any problems since I don't have an SSN?

Thanks in advance.
If I remember correctly, that question is not really relevant to AOS cases. Even if you say "Yes", you will not be automatically issued a SSN. You will have to go to a Social Security Office to apply for one when you get your physical green card.

Hi everyone!
I just came back from my infopass. I was asked if I changed my address because my file was sent to the NYC office instead of the Long Island one. It is currently in transit to the Long island one so now I just have to wait. The lady mentioned that I *might* get an interview waiver ( I know it was a possibility)
So no interview letter as of yet. I'm wondering if there are other cases that were sent to the wrong office and rerouted. Now I'm wondering if I should send in the form to get an EAD ( didn't think id need it because processing time ) but now it seems I should go for it. Anyways I hope we start hearing about other people getting their interview letters soon and let's keep that spreadsheet timeline up to date ~

Good luck!
thank you for sharing your experience!

I called the USCIS today to see if they can provide me some information regarding my case. I was told my i-485 is still under normal processing time and cannot provide more detail information on the case.(Case is still pending at Lee’s Summit, MO) and my field office is at Memphis TN).Basically, I have to wait until i receive any update on my case. I was thinking to get an info pass appointment and check with the field office regarding the case. Any suggestions??

Hi everyone!

Good luck!

Best time for a DV based AOS petitioner to apply for an EAD or AP card is when the original AOS package got sent in. Average processing time for an AP or EAD card is four months.

Anyway, you can still apply for it if you want to. Just be sure you’ve familiarized yourself with the downside of using an EAD card to undertake authorized employment.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever you select will make no difference. SSN doesn’t get ordered for AOSers. You’ll have to apply for it on your own.

I called the USCIS today to see if they can provide me some information regarding my case. I was told my i-485 is still under normal processing time and cannot provide more detail information on the case.(Case is still pending at Lee’s Summit, MO) and my field office is at Memphis TN).Basically, I have to wait until i receive any update on my case. I was thinking to get an info pass appointment and check with the field office regarding the case. Any suggestions??

Yes you may go on an INFOPASS, you wouldn’t get penalized for that. Did you see my response to your previous post though?

Yes you may go on an INFOPASS, you wouldn’t get penalized for that. Did you see my response to your previous post though?
Thank you for your comment on my previous post. I think i will wait for lil while before i make the infopass appointment.

1. Yes. Yes.
2. Present it truthfully. Just like you wrote here.

By the way, if you were previously planning on processing CP, did you already submit your DS-260 form with CP selected?
Thank your Mom for your feedback.
3. I haven't submitted the DS-260 yet. I wasn't in a rush to do it because I was planning to go for the CP interview in June anyway, which was likely to be way after the CN would have been current. I also wasn't sure whether I needed to allow sometime after my re-entry, even under CP. So yes, I selected CP. my understanding is that I need to email KCC to unlock the form and select AoS this time. is this correct?
4. I understand that, if I am going AoS, I can submit the DS-260 any time: before, at the same time, or after the I-485. Is this correct?
5. I haven't gone through the I-485 yet. I am assuming there is no need anywhere to mention an unborn baby. I am assuming also that I can't do anything about the likely fact that the baby will be born after the submission of the I-485 (with no mention of the baby) but before the interview, at which time the family situation would have changed. is this correct?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank your Mom for your feedback.
3. I haven't submitted the DS-260 yet. I wasn't in a rush to do it because I was planning to go for the CP interview in June anyway, which was likely to be way after the CN would have been current. I also wasn't sure whether I needed to allow sometime after my re-entry, even under CP. So yes, I selected CP. my understanding is that I need to email KCC to unlock the form and select AoS this time. is this correct?
4. I understand that, if I am going AoS, I can submit the DS-260 any time: before, at the same time, or after the I-485. Is this correct?
5. I haven't gone through the I-485 yet. I am assuming there is no need anywhere to mention an unborn baby. I am assuming also that I can't do anything about the likely fact that the baby will be born after the submission of the I-485 (with no mention of the baby) but before the interview, at which time the family situation would have changed. is this correct?
Thanks again.

3. You’ll need to submit the form first in this case. After which you’ll email KCC letting them know you wish to switch from CP to AOS. The selection page can no longer be changed from your end. And even if it can, it’s not possible for KCC to unlock a form that hasn’t been submitted to them.

4. Submitting the DS260 after the I-485 submission makes no sense. It is preferable to submit it before mailing in the AOS package.

5. It wouldn’t make sense for ANY form to contain a section for an unborn baby, innit? :rolleyes:

Best time for a DV based AOS petitioner to apply for an EAD or AP card is when the original AOS package got sent in. Average processing time for an AP or EAD card is four months.

Anyway, you can still apply for it if you want to. Just be sure you’ve familiarized yourself with the downside of using an EAD card to undertake authorized employment.
Thank you mom
my F1 visa was expiring but got an extension to finish this semester . I chose not to get the EAD when I submitted my AOS form because of the wait time being similar to getting the GC. I think I'll give it another week and see if my case gets an update and continue from there :p

3. You’ll need to submit the form first in this case. After which you’ll email KCC letting them know you wish to switch from CP to AOS. The selection page can no longer be changed from your end. And even if it can, it’s not possible for KCC to unlock a form that hasn’t been submitted to them.

4. Submitting the DS260 after the I-485 submission makes no sense. It is preferable to submit it before mailing in the AOS package.

5. It wouldn’t make sense for ANY form to contain a section for an unborn baby, innit? :rolleyes:
Thanks again, Mom.

1. No fee required for an AOS based I-765.

2. Makes no difference. Check can be issued by anyone.

Thank you for your response. I have one more question:
According to a spreadsheet, I, as a principal applicant, need to include in AOS package a copy of long form birth certificate with certified translation, I got that. And my husband needs to provide only a photocopy of long form birth certificate. It means just a copy will be fine or does he need a translation of it as well?

Thank you

Hi all,

I am facing a small issue with KCC.
I live in the US, got selected for GC (probably current in May/June) and then started to fill out the DS260 form. At inception of the DS260 I have chosen 'send my case to USCIS' because I wanted to go with the AOS process. I have NOT submitted my DS260 yet (waiting 90 days as I visited my home country in September).
Now I would like to go with the CP process and then asked KCC to unlock my case because the part where I choose if I want to do AOS or CP is now shaded/blocked (unable to change it).
First answer from KCC : 'we can not unlock your case as you haven't submitted it yet' => which is true, I haven't been precise enough, so I sent another email explaining that it's not the entire DS260 that I want to unlock but only the bottom of first part ('Getting Started') in order to change the selection to 'I want to be interviewed in another country'. I included a screenshot of the part I want to unlock.
Second answer from KCC : a big copy/paste of the DV rules 'All applicants must fill out the DS260 immigrant visa and alien registration ... blablabla'

I am not sure what to do to switch from AOS to CP. I am considering sending my DS260 (after the 90 days - end of December) with the AOS option selected and then asking them to unlock it... I am not sure it's the best way to do it ...I only need a small unlock

Do you have any idea what I can do?

Thanks,
I believe I was in a similar situation back in June. here is how it went with KCC when I asked to switch from AOS to CP:
1. my email to KCC: "When I started filling in the DS 260 form, on the first screen, I selected AoS processing. I would like to change it to Consular Processing. If you could, please, let me know how the change can be made. Thank you. "
2. KCC response: "Thank you for your inquiry. Based on the information you have provided, your interview location has been changed from adjustment of status to [my home city]. The new interview location will not appear on your DS-260 [actually it does. My home city shows now under the selection “no, I want to return abroad and be interviewed in”], but will be used by KCC for scheduling purposes. When we have scheduled your interview, you will be required to log into the Entrant Status Check (ESC) to view your appointment notification. At that time, please verify that your appointment is scheduled for the correct post. If for any reason it is not, you may contact KCC again at KCCDV@state.gov...."

And I don’t get why you’re waiting for 90 following your return from home if you’re switching to CP anyways.
Just guessing that his concern might be that he is technically submitting DS-260 with AOS processing, before he can switch to CP. So technically he's applying for AoS within 90 days of entry, although the intention is to switch to CP immediately after submission of DS-260.
1. Is this concern justified?

Thank you for your response. I have one more question:
According to a spreadsheet, I, as a principal applicant, need to include in AOS package a copy of long form birth certificate with certified translation, I got that. And my husband needs to provide only a photocopy of long form birth certificate. It means just a copy will be fine or does he need a translation of it as well?

Thank you

Of course a translated copy is also required for your spouse. All none English documents must be accompanied by a certified translated copy regardless of if the petition is the main applicant or a derivative.

Just guessing that his concern might be that he is technically submitting DS-260 with AOS processing, before he can switch to CP. So technically he's applying for AoS within 90 days of entry, although the intention is to switch to CP immediately after submission of DS-260.
1. Is this concern justified?

The concern is not justified. It is completely irrelevant which is why I wrote the post you quoted. The OP is processing CP at the end of the day, so waiting for 90 days is irrelevant. The wait has to do with someone who entered the US on a NIV and immediately goes on to file AOS, it is not related to having an immigrant intent which will be processed via CP since the person will be leaving the US to process it. He is not applying for AOS, he’s not facing USCIS. Period!

Hi, first of all thank you so much for all this information, it's so helpful.
I got selected, case number 2018OC12** (lower end). I filled out the DS260, then got married and opened it up through KCC to make the changes and my husband filled out his DS260. I'm currently on an E3 and so desperately want to change jobs because I strongly dislike where I am, which would mean getting a new E3 visa (don't want to do the name change as then you have to get a new E3 if you were to leave the country and come back in).
1. Do you think this will risk the GC if I do change jobs and therefore change onto a new E3?
2. My husband is currently having his L1-B visa renewed at the moment, will this cause any problems with the GC?
Thank you!

Hi, first of all thank you so much for all this information, it's so helpful.
I got selected, case number 2018OC12** (lower end). I filled out the DS260, then got married and opened it up through KCC to make the changes and my husband filled out his DS260. I'm currently on an E3 and so desperately want to change jobs because I strongly dislike where I am, which would mean getting a new E3 visa (don't want to do the name change as then you have to get a new E3 if you were to leave the country and come back in).
1. Do you think this will risk the GC if I do change jobs and therefore change onto a new E3?
2. My husband is currently having his L1-B visa renewed at the moment, will this cause any problems with the GC?
Thank you!

1 & 2. The important thing is to make sure you’re both in a valid status as at the time of filing AOS.