help, employer is not willing to put start and end dates on the employment letter

XR777

Dear friends,
I have a job offer from a US state agency. The HR is not willing to put a start and end dates on the employment letter to indicate temporary employment status since this is a full-time permanent job.

What should I do? It took a great effort to land this job and I really like it. How should I communicate with HR?

Is it okay to word something like "the employment status will comply with federal immigration law? And the employment will be terminated once the TN status is expire"?

Thanks,

As far as i know, you need to have the start date for sure to land yourself a TN visa.
Also, if you have an end date, your visa will be granted till the end date.

I didn't have any end date on my employment letter and i got the visa for 3 years.

Thanks, SS0033. That is helpful.
I will get a start date but probably won't have an end date. So without an end date won't be a big problem.

Thanks, SS0033. That is helpful.
I will get a start date but probably won't have an end date. So without an end date won't be a big problem.

Lets say the start date is 01/01/2018. You can fly or drive a week or 2 before that and get the TN at the border/airport.

And if you have an end date of 01/01/2019, they will only give visa till that day.

But if the letter says, the job starts on 01/01/2018 and ongoing, you will get the TN for the maximum period of 3 years.

Last edited:
Can I get the TN at the border/airport four weeks in advance?

It's doable but i remember i was told to be within 2 weeks of the start date as they will question the intent of being there a month before.

Also, research the border crossing where you want to get the TN.
If i am not wrong, i heard some crossings near Toronto area who are know to be quite tough.

Best of Luck

It's doable but i remember i was told to be within 2 weeks of the start date as they will question the intent of being there a month before.

Also, research the border crossing where you want to get the TN.
If i am not wrong, i heard some crossings near Toronto area who are know to be quite tough.

Best of Luck

Thanks a lot. Saved me from the panic attack. I will try Montreal.

You don't need a start date nor and end date, but you do need a DURATION, of no more than 3 years. Without something that shows your TN will end within 3 years, the letter won't pass. It can be an end date or a duration.

As far as i know, you need to have the start date for sure to land yourself a TN visa.
Also, if you have an end date, your visa will be granted till the end date.

I didn't have any end date on my employment letter and i got the visa for 3 years.
Hi SSoo33, did you have a duration as nelsona mentionedd on your letter? I am worried again. thanks for your reply...

Hi SSoo33, did you have a duration as nelsona mentionedd on your letter? I am worried again. thanks for your reply...

I had a start date and pretty much stating that it will be ongoing.
But there was no end date.

You don't need a start date nor and end date, but you do need a DURATION, of no more than 3 years. Without something that shows your TN will end within 3 years, the letter won't pass. It can be an end date or a duration.
Can I use other evidence such as I own properties in Canada as evidence instead of duration or end date? Thanks.

I had a start date and pretty much stating that it will be ongoing.
But there was no end date.
Thanks... Which port of entry did you go? I called Montreal Treadu airport today. The officer said there is no problem to apply a month in advance providing that I will be traveling on TN.

Thanks... Which port of entry did you go? I called Montreal Treadu airport today. The officer said there is no problem to apply a month in advance providing that I will be traveling on TN.

1st TN was at Edmonton Airport (Quite a bit of questions asked).
2nd TN was at Alberta/Montana Border @ 4 AM (didn't ask anything and just gave me the TN)

I will have to take my chance then at Trudeau Airport without an end date/duration.

I will have to take my chance then at Trudeau Airport without an end date/duration.

It's all about the presentation.
Get all the required documents lined up in order and don't give the officer a chance to ask for documents.

I took my House Mortgage details from my bank, just in case they doubt/question my ties to Canada.
But, i didn't present these documents in my file and kept it on the side in case they ask for it.

Best of Luck.

It's all about the presentation.
Get all the required documents lined up in order and don't give the officer a chance to ask for documents.

I took my House Mortgage details from my bank, just in case they doubt/question my ties to Canada.
But, i didn't present these documents in my file and kept it on the side in case they ask for it.

Best of Luck.
I will take my Mortgage documents as well. Thank you for pointing out.... :)