• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hello everybody,
I have received an invite for the interview today and it has one line that perplexes me. It says to bring translations of all foreign documents and that the translations must be certified as complete and accurate. So far it is expected and reasonable. But the next sentence reads: Use certified translators only.

I did all my translations myself since I am well proficient in both languages and I certified them by writing a statement saying that and signing. It worked before for visa applications. Even if I have someone other than myself translate and certify I am not sure who would qualify as a certified translator. I called USCIS but they just repeated the part about certified translation and were of no help regarding certified translator.

I couldn't find anything related on the forum, is this a new thing by USCIS? Do you think it's their odd way of saying "don't use google translate" or the matter is important and needs to be addressed. Any idea what translator certifications would be recognized by USCIS.

Thank you

Hello everybody,
I have received an invite for the interview today and it has one line that perplexes me. It says to bring translations of all foreign documents and that the translations must be certified as complete and accurate. So far it is expected and reasonable. But the next sentence reads: Use certified translators only.

I did all my translations myself since I am well proficient in both languages and I certified them by writing a statement saying that and signing. It worked before for visa applications. Even if I have someone other than myself translate and certify I am not sure who would qualify as a certified translator. I called USCIS but they just repeated the part about certified translation and were of no help regarding certified translator.

I couldn't find anything related on the forum, is this a new thing by USCIS? Do you think it's their odd way of saying "don't use google translate" or the matter is important and needs to be addressed. Any idea what translator certifications would be recognized by USCIS.

Thank you
When did you do your Bio and which FO?

Hello everybody,

Thank you
Just found this site on Google. Maybe it can help you:
https://www.daytranslations.com/services/certified-translation-services

I don't think the requirement for certification has anything to do with saying "don't use Google Translate". It should be for USCIS to make sure the translation is accurate and truthful.

Hello everybody,
I did all my translations myself since I am well proficient in both languages and I certified them by writing a statement saying that and signing.

I don't think that you can translate your own documents. It looks like a conflict of interest.

My documents were translated by translator who wrote in the statement: I, XXX, certified translator of YYY, certify...

Hello everybody,

Thank you

The documents need to be translated by anybody capable of doing do, it however cannot be yourself or an immediate family member. And it doesn’t need to be done by a professional either.

The person translating needs to sign a certified statement attesting to their fluency in both English and the language the documents are being translated from.

This is not a new requirement. That has always been the process when it comes to USCIS. This has also been discussed on several posts in the forum.

The documents need to be translated by anybody capable of doing do, it however cannot be yourself or an immediate family member. And it doesn’t need to be done by a professional either.

The person translating needs to sign a certified statement attesting to their fluency in both English and the language the documents are being translated from.

This is not a new requirement. That has always been the process when it comes to USCIS. This has also been discussed on several posts in the forum.
Thank you for the reply. I understand the reasons for certified translation, no questions there. What baffles me is "Use certified translators only" sentence. Are you sure they don't mean only certain people recognized by USCIS may do the translations?

Thank you for the reply. I understand the reasons for certified translation, no questions there. What baffles me is "Use certified translators only" sentence. Are you sure they don't mean only certain people recognized by USCIS may do the translations?

Yes I’m sure. USCIS does not have a list of recognized transactions contrary to what all the translating website sites claim. The only exception is to not have the translation done by yourself or anyone with an implied or perceived gain from your becoming a LPR.

Hi,

I've some questions:
1. I have H4 Visa and I'm principal applicant. My husband has H1B Visa. We are both filling I-765. According to instructions to I-765 our eligibility category is (c)(9). So the answer is do we need to pay 410$ or not?
2. Should I make the check under my name or my husband can do checks for both of us under his name?

Thank you

Hi,

I've some questions:
1. I have H4 Visa and I'm principal applicant. My husband has H1B Visa. We are both filling I-765. According to instructions to I-765 our eligibility category is (c)(9). So the answer is do we need to pay 410$ or not?
2. Should I make the check under my name or my husband can do checks for both of us under his name?

Thank you

1. No fee required for an AOS based I-765.

2. Makes no difference. Check can be issued by anyone.

Hello everyone!
I have managed to obtain an Infopass for Wednesday ( December 6th). Is there anything apart from what I will be asking ( if fingerprints are cleared, package received from KCC, interview scheduling) that anyone would like to know? I will bring all my documents just in case they decide to do the interview. Will keep everyone posted!

Hello everyone!
I have managed to obtain an Infopass for Wednesday ( December 6th). Is there anything apart from what I will be asking ( if fingerprints are cleared, package received from KCC, interview scheduling) that anyone would like to know? I will bring all my documents just in case they decide to do the interview. Will keep everyone posted!
Thank you ChillyPenguin. I thought about doing that but the personnel in my FO are very stuck to procedures so I'd rather wait for the interview letter. Please keep us posted, unlike those that are not willing to share their timelines in the spreadsheet so that the rest of us can have an estimate of the process.

Hi all,
Does any one from Asia has been scheduled for the interview yet? I have given my BIO on 10/04/17 but still I have not hear anything from the USCIS then. Could anyone share their update on the receiving the interview dates. I checked the last year 2017 timeline and as per it my interview should be scheduled or should be scheduling soon.

Hi all,
Does any one from Asia has been scheduled for the interview yet? I have given my BIO on 10/04/17 but still I have not hear anything from the USCIS then. Could anyone share their update on the receiving the interview dates. I checked the last year 2017 timeline and as per it my interview should be scheduled or should be scheduling soon.

The region you’re chargeable to has nothing to do with the interview date. The FOs determines the interview dates based on their work schedule. When you look at the timeline spreadsheets, did you see anyone with a CN close to yours who interviewed at your FO? That is how to use the Timelines spreadsheets, not by broadly looking at how many people got interview notice by this time.

Hi all- has anybody already been on an interview for the fiscal year 2018? Me and my husband are in two weeks in Chicago...
Please share experience if someone has already been through it. We are DV AOS.

Thanks much.

Hi all- has anybody already been on an interview for the fiscal year 2018? Me and my husband are in two weeks in Chicago...
Please share experience if someone has already been through it. We are DV AOS.

Thanks much.

Please write the dates of your process in the spreadsheet timelines (dates of package submission, NOA reception, Biometrics letter and interview letter reception) , so that other members can have an estimate of the process and compare with their own. Thank you

Hi all,
My CN is AF21xxx. I am on F1. I was planning on going for CP in my home country, thinking it is likely a faster process. I last entered the US in August on the premise that I am going for CP. So I didn't think much about the consequences of my traveling in and out of the US. Last month (November) I happily discovered I am pregnant. The due date is expected by mid-June, roughly the time by which I was planning to go for the consular interview. Now I think I have no choice but to go the AoS route.
The immigration office at the University warned me that while re-entering the US on F-1 visa one should not have the intention to immigrate. I thought I wasn't concerned because I was planning for CP.
1. I understand that there is an issue of presumption of intention to immigrate if someone applies for the green card within a certain time frame (90 days?) upon entering the US. If my CN becomes current in January (about 4 months would have past from the time I re-entered the US) can I safely apply? i.e. without having the automatic presumption of immigration hunting me?
2. How should I present the situation to the Immigration officer at the interview? Is there such a thing as "change of circumstances"? Would my case be considered as a change of circumstances?
3. I would greatly appreciate any other precautions or advice that would be relevant in my case.

Thank you.

Hi all,
My CN is AF21xxx. I am on F1. I was planning on going for CP in my home country, thinking it is likely a faster process. I last entered the US in August on the premise that I am going for CP. So I didn't think much about the consequences of my traveling in and out of the US. Last month (November) I happily discovered I am pregnant. The due date is expected by mid-June, roughly the time by which I was planning to go for the consular interview. Now I think I have no choice but to go the AoS route.
The immigration office at the University warned me that while re-entering the US on F-1 visa one should not have the intention to immigrate. I thought I wasn't concerned because I was planning for CP.
1. I understand that there is an issue of presumption of intention to immigrate if someone applies for the green card within a certain time frame (90 days?) upon entering the US. If my CN becomes current in January (about 4 months would have past from the time I re-entered the US) can I safely apply? i.e. without having the automatic presumption of immigration hunting me?
2. How should I present the situation to the Immigration officer at the interview? Is there such a thing as "change of circumstances"? Would my case be considered as a change of circumstances?
3. I would greatly appreciate any other precautions or advice that would be relevant in my case.

Thank you.

1. Yes. Yes.
2. Present it truthfully. Just like you wrote here.

By the way, if you were previously planning on processing CP, did you already submit your DS-260 form with CP selected?