Overstayed Less than 180 days

mommykai

Hi. I gave birth in 2004 and overstayed for (more or less) 2 and a half months. Now, I want to visit my daughter in the US and would like to know what my chances are in getting a new Visa and have a smooth entrance to the country. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi. I gave birth in 2004 and overstayed for (more or less) 2 and a half months. Now, I want to visit my daughter in the US and would like to know what my chances are in getting a new Visa and have a smooth entrance to the country. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi @mommykai

You have a chance of getting denied, since you have a record of overstaying. You can still apply and give it a try, since it all depends on the CO and the ties you have on your home country.

Although every situation is different, typically there is no penalty for overstaying less then 6 months (180 days); after 180 days you are banned for 3 years. If you stayed here because of pregnancy issues and your daughter is a US citizen, I would not imagine it would be difficult.

Although every situation is different, typically there is no penalty for overstaying less then 6 months (180 days); after 180 days you are banned for 3 years. If you stayed here because of pregnancy issues and your daughter is a US citizen, I would not imagine it would be difficult.
You fail to mention the potential issue of who paid medical bills related to childbirth. She may have a hard time getting a visa if US taxpayers were stuck with the bill.

You fail to mention the potential issue of who paid medical bills related to childbirth. She may have a hard time getting a visa if US taxpayers were stuck with the bill.

Or if she misled immigration officials as to the purpose of her visit, as it sounds like she planned to give birth here. Possible overstay being due to wanting to enter a while before it looked obvious birth was imminent. Chance of another overstay with kid already in country must come into it too. I’d be very interested to know the outcome of the visa application.

I have my doubts we'd hear back from OP who hasnt been online since the original post.

FYI.. it is legal to give birth in the US while on a B2, provided funding/insurance is taken care of prior.

I have my doubts we'd hear back from OP who hasnt been online since the original post.

FYI.. it is legal to give birth in the US while on a B2, provided funding/insurance is taken care of prior.

Yes, but it seems shady in terms of expressing intent to do so at the border.

Another policy that needs to be updated to the 21st century.