• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Both of them (front desk officer and officer who is sitting in the window) refused to call to supervisor, they just told me that none of them (supervisors) are at the office because it is Friday(!!!!) . It is always a struggle to get some info from them. I hate to go to the ATL FO

1. Did you confirm from the IO if your background checks have cleared?
2. Your interview was just a week ago, so be patie.
3. Nothing weird about the online status. It only changes when the case is approved or denied - it will not show anything about the interview.

And finally, for the benefit of those yet to interview or reading your post in the future, what your wife did is known as providing unsolicited information which is often a bad idea. More often than not, when people provide unsolicited information which they think may be helpful to their case, they unwittingly end up complicating the case. Only answer questions that are asked, only provide documents requested for. There was no need for the additional 30 minutes of interview you guys subjected yourselves to.

Hi @Sm1smom Thanks for the info. Do you think providing extra info like we did in our interview can adversely affect the case? During the 30 mins conversation post actual interview, IO kept our file aside and was discussing where were the pics taken and trying to understand how we deal with society being culturally different. At one point he gave his opinion on how our kid will be totally different and stuff like that. Few pics which he liked he took them and put in our file, I though he did that to further bolster the case like our foreign trip together and pics with few friends.

We didn't ask the IO whether our background check was completed. However the IO said he just wants to check the visa availability before approving the case so we assumed background check was cleared. To @AFJI0706 's point we were also told during the interview, on July 27th, that the system was down.

Last edited:
Hi @Sm1smom Thanks for the info. Do you think providing extra info like we did in our interview can adversely affect the case? During the 30 mins conversation post actual interview, IO kept our file aside and was discussing where were the pics taken and trying to understand how we deal with society being culturally different. At one point he gave his opinion on how our kid will be totally different and stuff like that. Few pics which he liked he took them and put in our file, I though he did that to further bolster the case like our foreign trip together and pics with few friends.

We didn't ask the IO whether our background check was completed. However the IO said he just wants to check the visa availability before approving the case so we assumed background check was cleared. To @AFJI0706 's point we were also told during the interview, on July 27th, that the system was down.

In this particular case? I don't know, but hopefully not.

But in general it's never a good idea to provide unsolicited information, your petition isn't a marriage/Family based petition, so there was nothing to booster IMO. Or did the IO seem concerned about your marriage based on previously asked questions? Did you get married after the DV selection?

@Sm1smom
Ok , just a little explanation , my case status says " Case Was Received At My Local Office
On June 19, 2017, we received your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status..."
Today I asked IO why I am not have been scheduled for the interview( background check is cleared), she told me that the officer who handles my case has requested my DV file and it should be received by 25 of Aug. My Qs:
1. Is it possible that case status is not correct?
2. How long does it take for USCIS to receive DV package from NBC?

Hello Sm1smom,

I had my interview July 27 in Detroit with my wife and my kids. The IO was very gentle and nice. The interview went smoothly and nicely of about one hour. He went over the I-485 questions and copied some papers like birth certificates and the bachelor degree etc. Also, he asked about my US. Citizen kid birth certificate and we provided it. At the end, he told us that he would review the case with his supervisor (as he was not very familiar with the DV lottery cases) today or tomorrow and at most the next Monday (07/31) and we would get an update. Since then, we did get any update either text, email or mail. The case on line is still the same.

I know it still early to go for info pass. But as you the facial year is getting closer I would be aware of any papers they may need.

I am planning to go for info pass next Thursday (08/10) which by then, the interview passed two weeks if no updates are shown.

Please advise.

Thank you.

@Sm1smom
Ok , just a little explanation , my case status says " Case Was Received At My Local Office
On June 19, 2017, we received your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status..."
Today I asked IO why I am not have been scheduled for the interview( background check is cleared), she told me that the officer who handles my case has requested my DV file and it should be received by 25 of Aug. My Qs:
1. Is it possible that case status is not correct?
2. How long does it take for USCIS to receive DV package from NBC?
1. Case status is correct. That's all you'll see online until after your case is either approved or denied.
2. USCIS does not receive "DV package" from NBC. The Chicago Lockbox sends the AOS package to NBC, NBC separates forms I-765 and/or I-131 (if included with the AOS package) and forwards the I-485 (the AOS petition) to the FO. The FO requests the KCC file from KCC. It doesn't take up to 3 weeks for the FO to receive the KCC file, unless KCC is dragging their feet in sending it.

Hello Sm1smom,

I had my interview July 27 in Detroit with my wife and my kids. The IO was very gentle and nice. The interview went smoothly and nicely of about one hour. He went over the I-485 questions and copied some papers like birth certificates and the bachelor degree etc. Also, he asked about my US. Citizen kid birth certificate and we provided it. At the end, he told us that he would review the case with his supervisor (as he was not very familiar with the DV lottery cases) today or tomorrow and at most the next Monday (07/31) and we would get an update. Since then, we did get any update either text, email or mail. The case on line is still the same.

I know it still early to go for info pass. But as you the facial year is getting closer I would be aware of any papers they may need.

I am planning to go for info pass next Thursday (08/10) which by then, the interview passed two weeks if no updates are shown.

Please advise.

Thank you.

The IO would have informed you if they needed anything from you. There's no way for me to know what other paper they may need from you. You need to be patient.

The IO would have informed you if they needed anything from you. There's no way for me to know what other paper they may need from you. You need to be patient.
Thank you Smismom for your reply,
The IO did not request any other papers. He just explained what would we expected to receive in the mail whether it is a welcome letter or request of another evidence. And he said he would review the case with his supervisor and we should see an update within in three to four days. But no update till now.

In this particular case? I don't know, but hopefully not.

But in general it's never a good idea to provide unsolicited information, your petition isn't a marriage/Family based petition, so there was nothing to booster IMO. Or did the IO seem concerned about your marriage based on previously asked questions? Did you get married after the DV selection?

We are married since 2013 so IO didn't ask anything about marriage during initial 30 minutes he said we were good he didn't need anything else from us. I won't say the IO was gentle he was kinda tough but somehow he seemed keen talking to my wife. Next 30 min was just a chit chat per say as I'm not sure whether he had ever interview a couple from India and Kazakhstan. At the end of everything he said this interview is not completely about USCIS he said they like to hear extraordinary stories. At one point he also laid out a plan for my wife as to how she should build her credit and encouraged us to apply for citizenship later. To be really honest until the officer approves the case on paper I won't believe anything USCIS personnel say :) .

Last edited:
We are married since 2013 so IO didn't ask anything about marriage during initial 30 minutes he said we were good he didn't need anything else from us. I won't say the IO was gentle he was kinda tough but somehow he seemed keen talking to my wife. Next 30 min was just a chit chat per say as I'm not sure whether he had ever interview a couple from India and Kazakhstan. At the end of everything he said this interview is not completely about USCIS he said they like to hear extraordinary stories. At one point he also laid out a plan for my wife as to how she should build her credit and encouraged us to apply for citizenship later. To be really honest until the officer approves the case on paper I won't believe anything USCIS personnel say :) .

Hi Sm1smom,

A quick follow up question. When the IO requests the KCC file what does that mean? do they get the file electronically or physically in mail? Can you please clarify that

Hello Mom and Britsimon,
Yesterday 4th of August, I finally received message from USCIS that "New Card Is Being Produced".
I just want to thank you guys, for your information, help, support, etc. Without them, many people here would have difficulty getting through all the process.

This is my timeline:

- September 29th 2016: Sent DS-260 - because I noticed 1NL on 25th September, I totally forgot That I registered DV lottery 2017 :).

-January 24th: Received 2NL from KCC.

-March 28th: Sent DV administrative fee to the DOS.

-April 5th: Received receipt for DV administrative fee from DOS.

-April 11th: Case became current for June.

-April 15th: Completed I-693, USCIS medical examination form.

-April 28th: Sent AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox (USPS Priority) , taking advantage of early filing memo.

-April 30th: Package delivered to Lockbox .

-May 24th: Certified check cashed.

-May 25th: email received-my case was accepted.

-May 30th: NOA letter received in the mail.

-June 3rd : Biometrics Letter Received in the mail, Appointment set for June 13th.

-June 5th: Walk in, Biometrics Appointment completed.

-June 16th: I called KCC to ask if my file has been requested by my field office (Philadelphia) and they said yes. They said they received that request today and 1 week takes time to process it.

-June 28th: Interview Letter Received in the mail. Appointment set for July 13th, 2017.

-July 13th: The interview was good. the lady officer was very polite and kind. She did review all yes/No questions of the form and at the end, she said that my wife and child are clear but my background check is not completed (name check) and as soon as they receive the name check for me, whole file will be approved.

-after around 10 days after interview,I did call to USCIS to follow up my case status. I asked to talk to second level officer but she did not know anything more than me. she just said that I should be patient and wait. The same is happened when I had infopass (2 weeks after interview) and talked to the officer face to face in field office.

-August 4th: around noon , I received message from USCIS and when I checked the site I saw that my status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced"

Thank you and good luck

Exactly my point. There was no need for your wife to have volunteered wedding photos! You're not trying to prove the genuineness of your marriage - it's not a marriage based petition. Completely uncalled for, it's the type of thing that introduces unnecessary elements into a situation that should have been smooth sailing. You may think the IO was just chitchatting with you guys. But the truth is, that's part of their training. If it was just chitchat, why did he add some of those pictures to your case file?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this will become a major issue for you guys, I'm simply trying to get you to understand the importance of not providing unsolicited information at an immigration interview, and for others who may feel inclined to do something similar to what your wife did to understand the significance of such an action.

Anyway, I'm not going to dwell on this anymore, it think the issue is already belabored.

Hi Sm1smom,

A quick follow up question. When the IO requests the KCC file what does that mean? do they get the file electronically or physically in mail? Can you please clarify that

They request for your file from KCC - the KCC file includes amongst others, your eDV registration form, your DS260 form (if you submitted one), DV payment receipt, any other communication or correspondence you've had with KCC, etc. It is sent electronically.

Hello Mom and Britsimon,
Yesterday 4th of August, I finally received message from USCIS that "New Card Is Being Produced".
I just want to thank you guys, for your information, help, support, etc. Without them, many people here would have difficulty getting through all the process.

This is my timeline:

- September 29th 2016: Sent DS-260 - because I noticed 1NL on 25th September, I totally forgot That I registered DV lottery 2017 :).

-January 24th: Received 2NL from KCC.

-March 28th: Sent DV administrative fee to the DOS.

-April 5th: Received receipt for DV administrative fee from DOS.

-April 11th: Case became current for June.

-April 15th: Completed I-693, USCIS medical examination form.

-April 28th: Sent AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox (USPS Priority) , taking advantage of early filing memo.

-April 30th: Package delivered to Lockbox .

-May 24th: Certified check cashed.

-May 25th: email received-my case was accepted.

-May 30th: NOA letter received in the mail.

-June 3rd : Biometrics Letter Received in the mail, Appointment set for June 13th.

-June 5th: Walk in, Biometrics Appointment completed.

-June 16th: I called KCC to ask if my file has been requested by my field office (Philadelphia) and they said yes. They said they received that request today and 1 week takes time to process it.

-June 28th: Interview Letter Received in the mail. Appointment set for July 13th, 2017.

-July 13th: The interview was good. the lady officer was very polite and kind. She did review all yes/No questions of the form and at the end, she said that my wife and child are clear but my background check is not completed (name check) and as soon as they receive the name check for me, whole file will be approved.

-after around 10 days after interview,I did call to USCIS to follow up my case status. I asked to talk to second level officer but she did not know anything more than me. she just said that I should be patient and wait. The same is happened when I had infopass (2 weeks after interview) and talked to the officer face to face in field office.

-August 4th: around noon , I received message from USCIS and when I checked the site I saw that my status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced"

Thank you and good luck

Congratulations

They request for your file from KCC - the KCC file includes amongst others, your eDV registration form, your DS260 form (if you submitted one), DV payment receipt, any other communication or correspondence you've had with KCC, etc. It is sent electronically.
Hi ,
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you had some idea as to how long KCC takes to handover that file to the FO? I assume it may not be instant unless stated otherwise.

Hi ,
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you had some idea as to how long KCC takes to handover that file to the FO? I assume it may not be instant unless stated otherwise.

That's a KCC call - we can assume it's mostly done in a reasonable time.

Hello, I received my green card and am wondering what the process is if I marry someone who is not a us citizen or permanent resident? Will they be able to come to the US and live with me?