• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Document translations and USA address

I understand and thank you.
But put yourself in my shoes.
I have two official sources from the same entity in contradiction...

From what I understand, since I still don't have a decent mail address in the US, it might be to my advantage to not pay beforehand because that way the card won't actually be mailed. I could then find a permanent place to stay and then change the case address (apparently I have to change the address specifically associated with my case-id). I can even probably do this in person at a USCIS branch.

In the meantime, the stamp on my passport is valid for one year and can actually be renewed.

Is this accurate?

The stamp cannot be renewed (or at least not just because you didn't pay the fee and so don't have a green card). Other than that, as has now been repeatedly stated, yes. None of this information is different to what you already had.

I understand and thank you.
But put yourself in my shoes.
I have two official sources from the same entity in contradiction...

From what I understand, since I still don't have a decent mail address in the US, it might be to my advantage to not pay beforehand because that way the card won't actually be mailed. I could then find a permanent place to stay and then change the case address (apparently I have to change the address specifically associated with my case-id). I can even probably do this in person at a USCIS branch.

In the meantime, the stamp on my passport is valid for one year and can actually be renewed.

Is this accurate?

No - the part about changing the address after landing (by delaying the payment) is NOT accurate as far as we know. In every case I have known, the address on the DS260, if not changed at the interview or finally at the POE is the address used to mail the card. As Susie correctly stated, you can pay the $220 after entry (many have done that - so no need to keep arguing that point). BUT that does NOT, as far as we know, extend the opportunity to change your address for mailing of the GC. Don't experiment with that.

Regarding the stamp being renewable - theoretically yes anyone can get an I-551 stamp at a USCIS if they need it - but in practice you are expected to have your plastic GC way before then.

Regarding the stamp being renewable - theoretically yes anyone can get an I-551 stamp at a USCIS if they need it - but in practice you are expected to have your plastic GC way before then.

Really? I'm sure I have read that if your reason for needing it (i.e. for not having a physical green card) is not paying the fee that they won't do it. Right now I have no idea where I read that though.

Really? I'm sure I have read that if your reason for needing it (i.e. for not having a physical green card) is not paying the fee that they won't do it. Right now I have no idea where I read that though.

That may be correct - I am not suggesting the OP tries to use that as a way of avoiding paying the fee. But if you had lost your GC - and for some reason needed immediate proof of resident status - that would be the way you could do that.

That may be correct - I am not suggesting the OP tries to use that as a way of avoiding paying the fee. But if you had lost your GC - and for some reason needed immediate proof of resident status - that would be the way you could do that.

Actually in a situation where the GC is lost, USCIS will only provide the I-551 stamp with the presentation of proof of replacement. If a replacement card hasn't been filed for, they will not issue the stamp.

I can even probably do this in person at a USCIS branch.

Is this accurate?

Hmmn, no you cannot do a change of address in person at a USCIS branch, it is done online.

And no, the stamp cannot be renewed unless you're applying for a replacement GC. After one year, you no longer have proof of your lawful permanent status if the payment hasn't been made

"Failure to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee will not affect your status as a lawful permanent resident but you will only have evidence of your lawful permanent status for one year from the date of your admission, as evidenced by the temporary I-551 stamp placed in your passport by CBP at the time of your admission."

https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/uscis-immigrant-fee#Change Address

Hmmn, no you cannot do a change of address in person at a USCIS branch, it is done online.

And no, the stamp cannot be renewed unless you're applying for a replacement GC. After one year, you no longer have proof of your lawful permanent status if the payment hasn't been made

"Failure to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee will not affect your status as a lawful permanent resident but you will only have evidence of your lawful permanent status for one year from the date of your admission, as evidenced by the temporary I-551 stamp placed in your passport by CBP at the time of your admission."

https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/uscis-immigrant-fee#Change Address

OK. I'm afraid I misrepresented my ideas.
I have no intention to not pay the fee and save a few hundred bucks. All I considered was delaying it because a few months ago I read somewhere that you could actually change the address in that case.
Apparently that is incorrect.

The stamp can be "revalidated" of that I'm sure, but maybe not if the fee hasn't been paid. That was my fear regarding the paying the fee before. I feared getting to the POE and the officer not stamping my visa. I guess I could always pay on the spot using some airport wifi if that is the case.

In here

Britsimon mentions in point 4 that:

4. Pay an agent (like a lawyer) to act for you and use their address.

Is this really an option?
If so I might get a branch from the law firm that I use here to do it for me (at a steep price I suppose). They have a representation in the USA, but it's not a residence. (looks quite a business on the outside).

Also, worst case scenarios:

1. I use this address and the mail man refuses to deliver. It's returned to sender and later I get in contact with USCIS and request them to resend it to a different address
  2. It's somehow lost, in which case I have to get a second card at a steep price (~500USD)

Am I missing something?

Actually in a situation where the GC is lost, USCIS will only provide the I-551 stamp with the presentation of proof of replacement. If a replacement card hasn't been filed for, they will not issue the stamp.

That must be what I had remembered but without the detail! Thanks for clarifying.

Hello everyone,

I have a probably stupid question : should I translate all my documents (certifacte of birth, degrees etc.?) from french to english for the interview?

I live in France and all my documents are in french, I will be interviewed in Paris Embassy.

Thank you all

Hello everyone,

I have a probably stupid question : should I translate all my documents (certifacte of birth, degrees etc.?) from french to english for the interview?

I live in France and all my documents are in french, I will be interviewed in Paris Embassy.

Thank you all

Please see "Translation requirements" here: https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Also, if you go further down to "Additional Embassy or Consulate Instuctions", Paris has a very detailed and specific instruction, with checklists of things to bring and whatnot.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Thank you all

While the instructions says all documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations, meaning you don't have to translate your documents since you're interviewing in Paris, you need to bear in mind you will not be able to use those documents as in once you get to the US. So translating them might not be a bad idea.

Thank you very much Sm1smom and Xarthisius.

According to Paris Embassy I only need to translate my birth certificate...but I'll follow your advice mom and I'll try to translate all useful documents.

Have a nice day!!

Thank you very much Sm1smom and Xarthisius.

According to Paris Embassy I only need to translate my birth certificate...but I'll follow your advice mom and I'll try to translate all useful documents.

Have a nice day!!
Did you call the Paris Embassy ? I will have my interview there too and I kept finding confusing information about the translation of the document

Did you call the Paris Embassy ? I will have my interview there too and I kept finding confusing information about the translation of the document
Hey Anaïs,
I just read the instructions where everything is clearly explained!