• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

RAISE Act - Immigration Reform

and one more question please. Let's assume the bill doesn't get enacted before 30th of September but is still considered (discussed, amended) throughout 2018. What do you think will be the impact on DV2019. Is it feasible the state department wouldn't open DV registration or maybe it wouldn't consider applicants for further processing? I am aware this is pure speculation but I am just interested in your thoughts.

This was introduced as red meat for Trump's base. It won't achieve anything, but it allows Trump to stand up before one of his rallies and get applauded because the poor fools think he is "achieving" things. They think he is getting things done. But in most things and especially politics, talking about doing things is a lot easier than actually doing things.
A media stunt then- ok makes sense I guess!

So guys do you think this will end DV Fiscal Year 2018 or no what are the chances!! Im worried so much tbh even tho it seems BS

Well I provided you the link to this Thread so you could read up on what has been discussed so far. It's not a good use of our time if we have to keep answering what has already been discussed you know.
Yeah thank you im reading it at the moment!! thank you for the time and value you are giving us!

Democrats have already said they are opposed to this so that's already enough to kill it in the senate. Plus Mcain assuming he stays on/doesn't die and other republicans being against it. This is most likely 100% dead just like all of trumps stupid bills.

Democrats hate the diversity lottery as much as the Republicans. At some stage, it will go.

Democrats hate the diversity lottery as much as the Republicans. At some stage, it will go.
That's a lie. Democrats like immigration because immigrants typically vote democrat. Plus they've said this bill is bad and will vote against it so they can't hate it too much.

That's a lie. Democrats like immigration because immigrants typically vote democrat. Plus they've said this bill is bad and will vote against it so they can't hate it too much.

If im not mistaken, I belive both democrats and republicans tried to cancel the lottery just a few years ago, might even been last year (?) But the congress turned it down due to some legislation of somekind.

At some point the DV-lottery will come to an end. I guess it´s hard to say when. I just hope my friend will win in time :/

The Raise act is not about hatred for the DV lottery - DV is only 5% of the immigration. Family based immigration is more of a concern for some - and the reform is much more aggressive toward that - because that is where the unskilled/uneducated workers come in - through chain immigration.

Liking 'immigration' and liking DV is not the same thing. But DV is not the core of this bill anyway, it's just a sideline.

Liking 'immigration' and liking DV is not the same thing. But DV is not the core of this bill anyway, it's just a sideline.

But DV immigrants are generally more educated than the vast majority of immigrants like chain immigrants so why would the democrats not like that? they basically get nearly 50,000 voters a year. As long as the Republicans use racism as an election policy democrats will always get most educated immigrants.

But DV immigrants are generally more educated than the vast majority of immigrants like chain immigrants so why would the democrats not like that? they basically get nearly 50,000 voters a year. As long as the Republicans use racism as an election policy democrats will always get most educated immigrants.
Your arguments clearly are not a valid economic basis for arguing for DV! Do you really think even democrats would vote to keep DV because 'it's potential new voters for us'??!!

As you were told, DV immigrants are not the main target, they're a tiny percentage of the 1 million immigrants who get a green card each year. Democrats don't like neither love DV lottery,...It's just not that important for them as,....the amnesty for the 12-20 million of illegal immigrants (mostly hispanics). DV lottery is however important for the Black Caucus,...since many DV immigrants are from Africa, and there will be some pressure and lobbying from black politicians to keep it,....but if someday republicans and democrats reach a deal on immigration (not this year for sure, maybe never with Trump as a president),...be sure DV lottery will be sacrificed in exchange of republicans agreeing to keep some form of chain migration or other concessions that are important to Democrats (that's how politics works and laws are passed). And don't forget republicans love immigration too (especially if uncontrolled and illegal),.....you think farmers, businessmen and bankers are democrats? Democrats want voters, and republicans cheap labour and consumers. DV lottery is not the hot topic of the immigration debate,....just spare change or collateral damage if a consensus is reached.

Last edited:
One thing is very clear. The Raise Act is pretty much dead after Trumps' comments about Charlottesville. Trump has displayed a complete lack of moral judgement and literally couldn't control himself. He bared his racist teeth in a stunning display of foolishness. It isn't going down well with the GOP, let alone the Dems. So - in this backlash, fewer politicians will want to align themselves with the racist Trump on a subject as sensitive as immigration. Right now, getting ANY legislation through will be challenging, let alone a bill that adopts an anti foreigner stance.