• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Supreme Court allows Trump's travel ban to partially take effect

Supreme Court reversed or vacated 2010 - 2015:

6th Circuit - 87 percent;

11th Circuit - 85 percent;

9th Circuit - 79 percent;

3rd Circuit - 78 percent;

2nd Circuit and Federal Circuit - 68 percent;

8th Circuit - 67 percent;

5th Circuit - 66 percent;

7th Circuit - 48 percent;

DC Circuit - 45 percent;

1st Circuit and 4th Circuit - 43 percent;

10th Circuit - 42 percent.

Rather notable differences here, proving the importance of SC reviews for ultimate legal outcomes in this country.

This might be lightly misleading - the SC will usually take more cases in which there is a circuit split, meaning that it will necessarily reverse the ruling of one of the circuits. In this case there is no circuit split.

This might be lightly misleading - the SC will usually take more cases in which there is a circuit split, meaning that it will necessarily reverse the ruling of one of the circuits. In this case there is no circuit split.
Yet in those cases SC ultimately has to side with one or the other Circuit Court, if they decide to take the case. No good numbers for the 6th, 11th and 9th for those cases also. You correctly point out that there has been no circuit split in this case, potentially suggesting careful "pick and choose" of lower federal courts? Interestingly enough this case was not reviewed by federal courts in Texas et al, where most immigration cases initially tend to play out.

Yet in those cases SC ultimately has to side with one or the other Circuit Court, if they decide to take the case. No good numbers for the 6th, 11th and 9th for those cases also. You correctly point out that there has been no circuit split in this case, potentially suggesting careful "pick and choose" of lower federal courts? Interestingly enough this case was not reviewed by federal courts in Texas et al, where most immigration cases initially tend to play out.

It's not unreasonable to say that some forum shopping was involved, but it really boils down to the SC, and it's hard to ignore that it's pretty conservative these days. Given the concurring opinions, the situation isn't promising, but who knows, maybe Trump will publicly admit that this is a Muslim ban, forcing the court to take heed of that...

It's not unreasonable to say that some forum shopping was involved, but it really boils down to the SC, and it's hard to ignore that it's pretty conservative these days. Given the concurring opinions, the situation isn't promising, but who knows, maybe Trump will publicly admit that this is a Muslim ban, forcing the court to take heed of that...

Well the testimony from Guiliani would be pretty hard to ignore as would be the President's own website which had (until a few weeks ago) an article entitled "Donald J Trump statement on preventing Muslim immigration".

Well the testimony from Guiliani would be pretty hard to ignore as would be the President's own website which had (until a few weeks ago) an article entitled "Donald J Trump statement on preventing Muslim immigration".

Indeed. It is really interesting to see how the SC will deal with this mess.

For example, if the administration completes review of vetting on schedule, it could eliminate the ban and rely on implemented updated vetting procedures. This presumably might prompt the SC to decide that the lawsuit is moot. If the administration should conclude its review by maintaining travel limitations against the six countries, the court may rule on whether the ban violates the Constitution's protection of religion. Either way, the administration is holding all the cards between now and October, despite lower court legal actions that certainly will ensue in the meantime.

"At least one Supreme Court Justice was skeptical that a temporary solution was workable. Justice Clarence Thomas in his dissent said that the Court’s “compromise” would “invite a flood of litigation until this case is finally resolved on the merits, as parties and courts struggle to determine what exactly constitutes a bona fide relationship.”

While it’s not clear how many travelers could be affected by the ban, State Department data suggests many if not most foreign travelers to this country have family connections in the United States.

For instance, of the 12,998 immigrant visas issued from Yemen last year, nearly all of the recipients — 12,563 —had immediate family in the United States."

The article discusses a bit more about how DoS and DHS are still trying to figure out how to write guidelines to comply with the ruling...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ect-thursday-many-questions-still-air-n777946

unfortunately i just met someone who got denied for visa bcz of EO from sudan .... even though he knew about it but he was hoping he could pass
alot of people they dont know about the EO we are trying to aware them about it... some they are thinking we are fraud trying stop them from going there
that guy sold his car bcz he didnt have sponsor so he put the money in his account for covering

unfortunately i just met someone who got denied for visa bcz of EO from sudan .... even though he knew about it but he was hoping he could pass
alot of people they dont know about the EO we are trying to aware them about it... some they are thinking we are fraud trying stop them from going there
that guy sold his car bcz he didnt have sponsor so he put the money in his account for covering
:(
Just to be certain, he was told it was because of the EO? There was not another reason for the denial?

He said bcs didnt have family there which is Under the EO ... i was expecting everyone will be AP untill end of September hoping that a miracle to happen again

He said bcs didnt have family there which is Under the EO ... i was expecting everyone will be AP untill end of September hoping that a miracle to happen again

Ok. I guess the one positive is that it sounds like they will issue to people who have family there so it is not a blanket ban.

Can you please clarify? his category was DV?

I just want to remark my first message .. he got refused from the first window while they are checking his documents .. he didnt reach the CO interview
He said he didnt receives any official written refusal

I just want to remark my first message .. he got refused from the first window while they are checking his documents .. he didnt reach the CO interview
He said he didnt receives any official written refusal

But they told him what you said above? Or did he assume that?
If at the first window - that means they didn't make him pay the fee?

But they told him what you said above? Or did he assume that?
If at the first window - that means they didn't make him pay the fee?
thats what they told him he attend the scheduled interview... and yes he didnt pay the visa fees or did the biometric check

Hi every body
the travel ban will end in September 28 and just there are two days for this fiscal year to finish, do you think after October the embassys in the countries effected by the EO will issue visas for DV 2017 selectees? do you think these two day enough to issue visas for persons their passports are received by Embassys and the passports still kept in embassy until today ? was there any cases happend in issuing visas after October for DV selectees?