• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2018 Selectees from Ghana

It's not a name order issue. Wrong DOB on original high school certificate.

Again, can you point to an actual incidence in the past when this led to refusal? We know problems versus identification documents lead to refusal, especially in Ghana. I am not aware of any incidences when a problem on an education document, as long as it is reasonably obvious it is the same person, has led to denial. I would be very interested if you can point to one, perhaps somewhere on the forum, that I may have missed.

It's all very well to warn people of problems but there is no need to fearmonger unnecessarily.

Whether he got married before/after selection i believe he still needs proof of his marriage (document proof). He was referring specifically to which types of marriage certification he could present for his case. Ghana has got different forms of marriages.

You said in the post I responded to that he needs proof that the "marriage is genuine". That is a phrase we generally use when there is a concern that it might be a green card marriage - which is when it happens after selection. This is not the same as just presenting a marriage certificate. The US consulates are always aware of the different forms that marriages may take (customary, etc) in the countries in which they operate.

Again, can you point to an actual incidence in the past when this led to refusal? We know problems versus identification documents lead to refusal, especially in Ghana. I am not aware of any incidences when a problem on an education document, as long as it is reasonably obvious it is the same person, has led to denial. I would be very interested if you can point to one, perhaps somewhere on the forum, that I may have missed.

It's all very well to warn people of problems but there is no need to fearmonger unnecessarily.
Well I'm a bit taken aback that you think I'm 'fearmongering'. We both know how easy it is in Gh for people to have new id docs (passports, birth certificates, national ids etc) with whatever name or dob they choose. Mind you the education document we're talking about is the highschool doc (issued by WAEC) and it is not uncommon for consulates to regard the latter especially for purposes of establishing age. If you still believe there's no concern, I think otherwise and I stand by my original advice to OP.

You said in the post I responded to that he needs proof that the "marriage is genuine". That is a phrase we generally use when there is a concern that it might be a green card marriage - which is when it happens after selection. This is not the same as just presenting a marriage certificate. The US consulates are always aware of the different forms that marriages may take (customary, etc) in the countries in which they operate.
Uh sorry for that. That wasn't what I meant at all, maybe you put my words out of context. I think you're still missing the point of the original question.
We've established that there are different forms of marriages, but the Posters question as to which certificates et al to present, as marriage proof, for their case is still unanswered. I made some suggestions, you might want to add or remove from that.

Well I'm a bit taken aback that you think I'm 'fearmongering'. We both know how easy it is in Gh for people to have new id docs (passports, birth certificates, national ids etc) with whatever name or dob they choose. Mind you the education document we're talking about is the highschool doc (issued by WAEC) and it is not uncommon for consulates to regard the latter especially for purposes of establishing age. If you still believe there's no concern, I think otherwise and I stand by my original advice to OP.

We have many posts of people being refused visas in Ghana. I'm asking you to find just one that's related to the education document?

Too bad, such errors are usually seen as fraudulent attempts to conceal identity in Accra.
Getting approved will depend on how you're able to convince the co that it was a genuine error. You'll be asked why you took the NovDec exam. I'll also advise you to get a testimonial letter from your high school head, your biometric details must be stated in this letter.
Biometric details as in Original DOB and what ?

Can I
Too bad, such errors are usually seen as fraudulent attempts to conceal identity in Accra.
Getting approved will depend on how you're able to convince the co that it was a genuine error. You'll be asked why you took the NovDec exam. I'll also advise you to get a testimonial letter from your high school head, your biometric details must be stated in this letter.

@Lucid, can I add affidavit to it? I think the school sent incorrect details to WAEC for Certificate printing. So will go inform the School and see what they can do about it for me.

Hello everybody. Congratulations to all the 2018 selectees, and thank you so much to the moderators and all others for their very helpful advice. I am writing on behalf of my friend from Kumasi, who is a selectee for 2018. I am Canadian and previously lived in Kumasi for 1 year. My Ghanaian friend used an agent to apply to the lottery, so naturally I am concerned about all the possibilities for fraud. I am trying to obtain a copy of the eDV application that the agent submitted for my friend, to make sure all of the information was accurate, before we proceed. Did any other selectee use an agent, and if so, can you please provide advice for ensuring the legitimacy of my friend's application? Thank you!

Uh sorry for that. That wasn't what I meant at all, maybe you put my words out of context. I think you're still missing the point of the original question.
We've established that there are different forms of marriages, but the Posters question as to which certificates et al to present, as marriage proof, for their case is still unanswered. I made some suggestions, you might want to add or remove from that.
Let's see if this helps. We've been married for 10 years already. We are married under the marriage ordinance which means a purely monogamous marriage. My question was whether or not the marrriage certificate issued to us by the marriage officer (in this case the minister at our church) which was signed by my wife and I and other witnesses is ok to present at the interview. I ask this because it is handwritten just like the old Ghana birth certs. Now we are required to acquire new computerized birth certs. Was wondering if a similar measure had been put in place for marriage certs to avoid fraud. If there's nothing like that then my assumption is that the original marriage certificate is good to present.

I've never yet heard of a refusal based on the name order on an education certificate. Can you cite a case? It's a problem if the birth certificate and/or passport are different from the eDV entry.
In a situation where the principal selectee was born with let's say one forename on the birth cert "Carrie" but subsequently added another first name in high school so that the first name is now hyphenated e.g "Carrie -Anne". She has old and new passports, high school certs all using the name "Carrie-Anne". There's also an Affidavit of name change after marriage which was duly placed in the gazette. So the name Carrie -Anne now has the husband's surname "Wilson". The EDV entry form was filled using the name on the current and old passport "Carrie-Anne Wilson". @susieQQQ can this present a problem in the USA embassy in Accra?

Last edited:
In a situation where the principal selectee was born with let's say one forename on the birth cert "Carrie" but subsequently added another first name in high school so that the first name is now hyphenated e.g "Carrie -Anne". She has old and new passports, high school certs all using the name "Carrie-Anne". There's also an Affidavit of name change after marriage which was duly placed in the gazette. So the name Carrie -Anne now has the husband's surname "Wilson". The EDV entry form was filled using the name on the current and old passport "Carrie-Anne Wilson". @susieQQQ can this present a problem in the USA embassy in Accra?

The instruction is that the name on the eDV must match the passport so that should be fine. If there is something formal to show the added name to match the birth certificate that would be good but to me it sounds like this should all be ok.

The instruction is that the name on the eDV must match the passport so that should be fine. If there is something formal to show the added name to match the birth certificate that would be good but to me it sounds like this should all be ok.
Muchas gracias Susie!

Hello everybody. Congratulations to all the 2018 selectees, and thank you so much to the moderators and all others for their very helpful advice. I am writing on behalf of my friend from Kumasi, who is a selectee for 2018. I am Canadian and previously lived in Kumasi for 1 year. My Ghanaian friend used an agent to apply to the lottery, so naturally I am concerned about all the possibilities for fraud. I am trying to obtain a copy of the eDV application that the agent submitted for my friend, to make sure all of the information was accurate, before we proceed. Did any other selectee use an agent, and if so, can you please provide advice for ensuring the legitimacy of my friend's application? Thank you!
All you have to do is to check that all the information the agent filled on the edv is correct.

This is not so easy as usually people do not have copies of the eDV. Unless the agent kept a copy and is willing to show the applicant.
Yeah, that's very true but the agents usually keep copies or details of the people they enter into the lottery. The agents will show you after you pay their exorbitant charges.
OR try to access the edv using "forgot confirmation number" which the system will ask your basic details you used to fill and if you are able to access your case number then it means your details are correct.

OR try to access the edv using "forgot confirmation number" which the system will ask your basic details you used to fill and if you are able to access your case number then it means your details are correct.

This is absolutely not correct! Being able to retrieve the confirmation number does not necessarily mean the submitted eDV was correct. You haven't heard of situations where an agent enters a married person as single, omits a person's child/children, uses a wrong middle name, etc?

Yeah, that's very true but the agents usually keep copies or details of the people they enter into the lottery. The agents will show you after you pay their exorbitant charges.

No one can access the eDV after entry - if whoever submitted it did not make a copy there is no way to know what is in it. Being able to access your confirmation number only means your name and date of birth are correct, as mom has said above there are other details that can be disqualifying and sadly Ghana is notorious for agent entries leading to disqualification.

This is absolutely not correct! Being able to retrieve the confirmation number does not necessarily mean the submitted eDV was correct. You haven't heard of situations where an agent enters a married person as single, omits a person's child/children, uses a wrong middle name, etc?
At least he will be able to know if the agent used his correct name, correct date of birth and email before he can contact the agent.

No one can access the eDV after entry - if whoever submitted it did not make a copy there is no way to know what is in it. Being able to access your confirmation number only means your name and date of birth are correct, as mom has said above there are other details that can be disqualifying and sadly Ghana is notorious for agent entries leading to disqualification.
I absolutely agree with you.

At least he will be able to know if the agent used his correct name, correct date of birth and email before he can contact the agent.
Nana, I honestly doubt if that will be very useful. Remember to check one's selection one requires the surname, year of birth and the confirmation number. So it gives no information about the details of the eDV form. It's sad but it seems that's the reality. Even if the surname is correct, the first name may be wrong along other details such as derivatives etc.