• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

@SusieQQQ @Sm1smom @Britsimon have you noticed in the past few years that an increased number of people from the same family are being selected as winners - each one with different CN ? I may have encountered about a dozen of these cases and wondering whether something's going on with the "randomly selected" rule, algorithms etc... Any thoughts?

I haven't come across anything extraordinary

I have a question regarding ds260 form. When filling out the work experience section you are asked for every job you enter "Does this job require at least 2 years of training or experience?". Is a university degree considered training? Coz I answered 'no' but I have an university degree and jobs I got were because of my degree. Thanks !

Anyone has an answer to this? Thanks

when i tried to login to ds260 using my case number and birth date i got error so i wrote email to KCC and they told me my birth date isn't correct so after trial and error i found out that only the date was wrong the month and the year are correct i made the classic mistake i used the month as a date,what should i do next ?

Last edited:
Hi again,

I am trying hard to not over-think everything, but it’s easier to say it than to do it. I would be much more relaxed if I had never been selected.

Tell me about it, I cannot stop obsessing about and it is not certain I'll even get an interview... To think I'll have to wait 15 more months...

Hi, question about the interview, how much money are you supposed to demonstrate that you have so the visa doesn't get refused for the public charge thing during the interview? i mean near half of every year selectees come from Africa (not trying to be racist) , but seriously not everyone that wins the lottery is a millionaire, and most of them don't have a lot of money, there's a reason they are trying to leave their country by applying to this dv lottery in the first place (probably they don't have it so good)

So in terms of precise numbers, how much is enough to demonstrate you wont be a public charge? Thanks in advance.

Hi, just wanted to ask.. is there any problem if I start preparing all my documents for interview now?

For example Police Certificate - Criminal Record is valid for one year since it is issued. (this information is stated on their official government website) My DV number is DV2018000015xx, so I am sure I will go for VISA interview much sooner than Police Certificate gonna be expired. I think I should go for interview already in October.

I lived in three countries in last couple of years, so it means 3x Police Certificate. Don't want leave it in last minute.

Are there any other documents which have time limited validity? Or any other reason why they shouldn't be prepared and translated now?

With translation should not be any problem neither.. it does't matter if it was translated few days ago or few months ago. Am I right? Thank you for reply.

Hi, question about the interview, how much money are you supposed to demonstrate that you have so the visa doesn't get refused for the public charge thing during the interview? i mean near half of every year selectees come from Africa (not trying to be racist) , but seriously not everyone that wins the lottery is a millionaire, and most of them don't have a lot of money, there's a reason they are trying to leave their country by applying to this dv lottery in the first place (probably they don't have it so good)

So in terms of precise numbers, how much is enough to demonstrate you wont be a public charge? Thanks in advance.

You're not trying to come across as being racist, but the truth is your post certainly comes across as such. You could have simply asked your questions without using selectees from Africa as an example - not all selectees from Africa are trying to leave due to poverty.

Anyway, I recommend you read Simon's blog for guidance on this:
http://britsimonsays.com/all-about-public-charge-affidavit-of-support-i-134/

Without wanting to stereotype either, many of the Africans you refer to have a demonstrated willingness to work long hard hours and start from the bottom in order to make a go of things in the US. Again not wanting to stereotype anyone else, but they don't have the same sense of entitlement some others may have either, for example about whether or not a certain job may be considered "beneath" them. And those applying in certain African countries that make use of the host system are known for looking after each other this way (host system) while they find their feet, and the embassies know how it works.

Anyway.... There is no precise number. It depends on a variety of things. A young IT graduate with zero savings is far more likely to overcome public charge than a newly retired couple with $100000 in savings as an example. It's not just about savings at all, it's about being able to support yourself (and your family if applicable) over the long term.

You're not trying to come across as being racist, but the truth is your post certainly comes across as such. You could have simply asked your questions without using selectees from Africa as an example - not all selectees from Africa are trying to leave due to poverty.

Considering the vast number of asians and Latin Americans and even many in Eastern Europe who all come from poorer countries too, this is a good point.

Anyway.... There is no precise number. It depends on a variety of things. A young IT graduate with zero savings is far more likely to overcome public charge than a newly retired couple with $100000 in savings as an example. It's not just about savings at all, it's about being able to support yourself (and your family if applicable) over the long term.
Wow for real? I'm an IT graduate with zero savings lol, thank you so much, you just made my day :)

Wow for real? I'm an IT graduate with zero savings lol, thank you so much, you just made my day :)

I said "more likely than" a retired couple, not that it's dead certainty. To some extent it will depend on the embassy you interview at too. That said, you should be able to convince them you'll be ok, for kind of obvious reasons.

Oh my gosh! Quite an ignorant reference.

You're not being "racist",...just being "ignorant" and "clueless". Many AF selectees on this board are highly educated, some spending a lot of money attending universities in Europe and the US, some are currently citizens or permanent citizens of wealthy countries and are obviously not doing it "to flee poverty",....and above all, Africa is huge and many african countries have better quality of life and are much safer than some South-American countries. So you should be informed before throwing baseless affirmations.

Otherwise,....on other posts you say you're jobless, broke (and have no friends and nobody loves you[sic]). Sorry if I am being honest, you better be prepared to convince your consulate you won't be an unexperienced socially awkward pennilless young man with no friends or relatives to help you out,...alone in the middle of New York City. You better seek a sponsor or/and have around 15k$ in your bank account,....to maximize your chances.

Hello everyone and first of all Good Luck to all of us!
I have a quick question and hope you can help: what is my application type on page 1 part 2 on the I-485 if I am a winner for this year DV program?
What about my husband, which was in my application?

Many Thanks

Have a great friday :)

I got selected btw at Number of Educational institutions attended should i do 2 if i finished HIGH school and im currently in the University?

You're not being "racist",...just being "ignorant" and "clueless". Many AF selectees on this board are highly educated, some spending a lot of money attending universities in Europe and the US, some are currently citizens or permanent citizens of wealthy countries and are obviously not doing it "to flee poverty",....and above all, Africa is huge and many african countries have better quality of life and are much safer than some South-American countries. So you should be informed before throwing baseless affirmations.

Otherwise,....on other posts you say you're jobless, broke (and have no friends and nobody loves you[sic]). Sorry if I am being honest, you better be prepared to convince your consulate you won't be an unexperienced socially awkward pennilless young man with no friends or relatives to help you out,...alone in the middle of New York City. You better seek a sponsor or/and have around 15k$ in your bank account,....to maximize your chances.

Sorry if offended anyone, that was not my intention, i come from relatively poor country myself in South America, i simply wanted to ask if the consulates have flexibilities as to how much money you should have depending on where you are from, so that i know how much money do i need to start saving up for the interview.

Sorry if offended anyone, that was not my intention, i come from relatively poor country myself in South America, i simply wanted to ask if the consulates have flexibilities as to how much money you should have depending on where you are from, so that i know how much money do i need to start saving up for the interview.

the flexibility does not depend on "where you are from", it depends on "who you are".

From what I gathered (here and on tons of forums) and according to many testimonies of people who went through the whole process,....it's not about money, it's about your chances of becoming self-reliant in the US the quicker the better, and not ending up being a public charge. Having 30k$ in your account doesn't guarantee you a successful interview (maybe because of age, lack of professional experience, no relatives in the US, etc...),....and a 30-something IT professional or a Tile setter with 10 years of accreditted experience, may not be asked about his bank account. So instead of asking about how much money do you need, better ask yourself,...."how can I convince the consular official my immigration process will be a success from day one?".

Otherwise, ...If you can get 10-15k$ in your account, that's a good start, but not enough. But if you want my advice,...better seek a sponsor (they trust sponsorship much more than money in the bank). And if you're not working, seek a job or an internship NOW,...you should convince them you're not a bum,.....but a hard-working would-be immigrant who would be a great asset to US economy. USA is not Germany, Sweden or some wishy-washy socialdemocratic welfare-state,.....it's a tough country, with a lot of poverty and inequalities, ....it's the land of opportunities but it's merciless with the weak and the unfortunate. You should prove them you're tough and hardworking, and have resources and connections to succeed in the US.

Last edited:
Otherwise,....on other posts you say you're jobless, broke (and have no friends and nobody loves you[sic])..

Oh, I'd forgotten it was this guy. Yeah if you're an IT grad but you haven't managed to find a job in your home country...it may not be that easy to convince them you'll find one in the US.

There is no blanket guideline precisely because this is the one thing they look at each individual on.