• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

So print out the price quotes to show the CBP officers if they ask about it and say it was bought because it was cheaper...
Another a good suggestion, but honestly, would you do that? Maybe I'm being overly cautious given all we've been through to get the reentry permit...:confused:

If that is the case and you are on the east coast you should look at buying a ticket to HNL with Jetstar and then one from HNL (with a US airline) to wherever you need to go.
Thought about that, because a lot of the reports on this forum make it sound like a friendly airport to pass through, but we'll be bringing the dog with us, and want to make her trip as smooth as possible. Plus...Jetstar? I fly them to Japan for the additional baggage, and I fly them from Avalon because it's convenient for me...and I've gritted through my fair share of bad experiences. I just don't want to have to rely on them for this flight. Thanks anyway :)

Hi Guys

Activating in a couple of weeks & will spend the time in NYC meeting Real Estate agents & Recruiters. Currently have an AMEX but also want to open a bank account

Question: which banks make it the easiest to do given we won't have physical GC or SSN during that period?

Thanks as always

We opened a checking which doesn't help your credit, but it's good to have it.

Open a secured credit card. You likely won't get approved for an unsecured credit card because of a lack of credit history. Open a secured card, put $1k to $2k in it, and spend. pay off, spend, pay off, spend pay off. Amazon will be your best friend for a while.

After just under a year, if you're good with managing the card, Bank of America will make it unsecured and return the $1k to $2K (however much you put on the card) to you.

That's what we did.

^^ and smile.amazon donates a (tiny, but still) % of your purchases to a charity of your choice and givebackbox allows you to get rid of your growing pile of boxes plus old but usable stuff too.

Hi Guys

Activating in a couple of weeks & will spend the time in NYC meeting Real Estate agents & Recruiters. Currently have an AMEX but also want to open a bank account

Question: which banks make it the easiest to do given we won't have physical GC or SSN during that period?

Thanks as always
I opened both checking and savings accounts with Wells Fargo sans GC or SSN. Passport and IV will suffice. As soon as I got a job I opened up a checking account with Chase as they currently have a crazy offer of giving you free money if you open said account and have a direct deposit into it (your pay cheque for example). Google 'chase checking account offers'. The amount varies depending on the promo. Currently their website is offering $200. You get the cash within 10 days of the direct deposit.
Also, they are offering $150 if you open up a savings account and deposit $10,000 in it. You have to wait 90 days for this one though.
Btw, what Aussies refer to as savings accounts are referred to as checking accounts here, even if you don't use cheques.

Hi everyone,
I have my interview with the Sydney consulate in a couple of weeks, nerves are running at an all time high! I have two questions -

Firstly, I received my National Police Check in the mail yesterday, I did a FINGERPRINT and name check as I have been previously married. The certificate only states my maiden name though (which I am known as now, passport is also in this name). I specified on the form it was full disclosure and put my married name down as well - is it ok that it just states my maiden name?

Secondly, I spoke to the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages in QLD and they advised that I do not need a name change certificate (I don't ever recall applying for one at the time) and that my marriage certificate AND divorce certificate is the only evidence required proving the name change, is this correct/does anyone else have experience in this?

Apologies if these are obvious or silly questions but I figure its better to ask now! Thanks in advance :)

You didn't need to get the fingerprint check (the name check is fine so long as it includes all known names). Having said that, the reciprocity page from state.gov says 'Australian Federal Police certificates based on fingerprints are preferred, but a certificate not based on fingerprints is acceptable if it shows all aliases ever used' so I'm not even sure if it matters that not all names are included. Maybe it's an error on the AFP's part? Can you contact them to confirm? If nothing else, it will put your mind at ease.

You're fine with the marriage and divorce certificate. From the reciprocity page: 'Evidence of your legal name change must be issued by a civil authority. In Australia, name change certificates are issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages. These certificates are not required if your name change is based on your marriage'.

Thanks @EmilyW, I thought the same re both instances but wanted to confirm. I will give the AFP a call just to be on the safe side. Amazing how much second guessing comes with this process!

Hi everyone,
I have my interview with the Sydney consulate in a couple of weeks, nerves are running at an all time high! I have two questions -

Firstly, I received my National Police Check in the mail yesterday, I did a FINGERPRINT and name check as I have been previously married. The certificate only states my maiden name though (which I am known as now, passport is also in this name).
Apologies if these are obvious or silly questions but I figure its better to ask now! Thanks in advance :)

All the best for your interview @MissNIcole. I am interviewing on June 7th but in Fiji.

I just have a question and was hoping if you would be able to answer it. How long did the fingerprint check take?
I was in Australia for several years and instructions for the Suva embassy were to get my fingerprints taken at a local police station and have it posted to to AFP. I got mine taken and couriered it to AFP and they received it on the 2nd of May.
When did you submit yours and how long did it take to get everything in the mail.

All the best for your interview @MissNIcole. I am interviewing on June 7th but in Fiji.

I just have a question and was hoping if you would be able to answer it. How long did the fingerprint check take?
I was in Australia for several years and instructions for the Suva embassy were to get my fingerprints taken at a local police station and have it posted to to AFP. I got mine taken and couriered it to AFP and they received it on the 2nd of May.
When did you submit yours and how long did it take to get everything in the mail.
Hi there! I think it took a little over 2 weeks, I was actually surprised at how quickly it came as the website said up to 30 business days. I walked into my local police station and said I needed an Australian fingerprint police check for immigration purposes and they did it on the spot and sent everything off for me. Best of luck with your appointment too!

Hi there! I think it took a little over 2 weeks, I was actually surprised at how quickly it came as the website said up to 30 business days. Best of luck with your appointment too!

I'm hoping I get mine before my interview :(. Otherwise I'm all good to go. I will probably give them a call next week Monday or Tuesday and check the status. If its completed and posted by next week Friday, I should receive it in a week or two hopefully (though I don't think AusPost is that quick). Nothing but positive vibes :):)

Ok, so yet another panic moment. It appears my police check is the wrong one! Even though I requested a fingerprint check at the police station it says 'no court outcomes in the record of the Australian Police Services that are disclosable by the Queensland police'. There is no mention of AFP on it anywhere even though it says National Police Check.

I have submitted an online request via the AFP (code 33 with previous alias) today but I am assuming it won't arrive in the next two weeks.

Has anyone else proceeded with the first certificate mentioned?

Not if you have someone you trust to receive the GC on you're behalf - you're not required to be in the US for the duration.
Sorry, extremely late reply!

So, if my visa to enter expires mid October, i enter early October for a weekend then come back, say next September, that doesn't raise any red flags with immigration? (I can handle if it raises a few questions) Is a weekend too short for an activation trip? And after activation, I can hold off for 12 months, provided i have a reason? (after which I dont imagine leaving the US anytime soon) Also, with mailing of the green card, is it signature required sorta deal, or do they just mail it to the address, coz I have an address/person i can trust with it but I'm not sure how strict the delivery of it is.

That should be fine so long as you maintain your obligations as a permanent resident (such as filing taxes). I'd also open a bank account including a secured credit card, use the card and pay it off.

When you come back, I'd make sure it was a one way ticket and that you don't leave again for any serious length of time, otherwise it will look like you're using the green card as a souped up tourist visa.

Delivery of the green card requires no signature.