• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

dilemma87

Hi everyone,

Thought I would start a thread for all the 2018 DV OC selectees on here as I noticed there wasn't one yet.
I haven't posted on here that much, only usually around DV time but am a long-time reader.

As I've mentioned in a couple of the other threads, I'm third time lucky at getting selected, case number 2018OC000018xx. Fairly high case number but I will send out the positive vibes that I will at least get to interview stage later on next year. From reading previous CEAC data and visa's given out (think this might have been on BritSimon's page), I can see that in DV2007 (many moons ago), OC went up to 1800 before becoming current so fingers crossed this can happen again! I'm sure KCC have their reasons for such high selection numbers this year especially in OC (maybe they don't want to do a second draw?). Who knows, only time will tell but am looking forward to being on the journey with you all.

Hey @SusieQQQ great to be back.

It was a close call but I managed to make the big move.

My company transferred me from Australia to Las Vegas. If you're ever in the area let me know!

Ah, we were there for Labor Day weekend last year! No plans soon but I'll let you know if we do! Ditto if you're in the Bay Area.

Hi,
Yes we too were selected with a high case number just over 2000.... crossing our fingers!!! Do we have an update on why the high number of OC selectees this year? It's hard to get excited when the case number is so high!

Hey All,

Selected with case number in 11xx, entering for around 10 years both wife and I and this is first selection. Trust it happens when work is starting the PERM GC process for us ;-) (we have been in NY for 2 years now on E3).

Good luck to everyone!

OC13xx here, does anyone know how long I would have to make the choice if I want to make the move over? I'm really not sure at this point. I see people here jumping on and submitting their DS260 as fast as they can but I think I need a long time to think about it

OC13xx here, does anyone know how long I would have to make the choice if I want to make the move over? I'm really not sure at this point. I see people here jumping on and submitting their DS260 as fast as they can but I think I need a long time to think about it

Even if you submitted your DS260 today - it will be summer 2018 before you would interview - so you have plenty of time to think and decide.

Hi all.

I've known about the DV since back around 2002 but fresh out of school and wasn't really ready. Can't believe I have thought about it on and off all these years but never actually applied (I didn't realise how easy the initial lottery submission would be). Anyway you don't want a life story!

OC19XX happy to be selected but will be a year of waiting. If there seems to be a higher number of selectees I wonder if there is less chance of going "current" but I guess for now no point trying to speculate. If the processing goes current does that still mean the interviews are scheduled in CN order?

Is it okay to wait until around Dec/Jan to submit DS260? I have several more trips to the US this year and from what I can gauge submitting DS260 would signal intent to immigrate. I already get the third degree through customs so I'd rather avoid unnecessary questioning (given that my CN may be too high to progress to interview).

Hi all.

I've known about the DV since back around 2002 but fresh out of school and wasn't really ready. Can't believe I have thought about it on and off all these years but never actually applied (I didn't realise how easy the initial lottery submission would be). Anyway you don't want a life story!

OC19XX happy to be selected but will be a year of waiting. If there seems to be a higher number of selectees I wonder if there is less chance of going "current" but I guess for now no point trying to speculate. If the processing goes current does that still mean the interviews are scheduled in CN order?

Is it okay to wait until around Dec/Jan to submit DS260? I have several more trips to the US this year and from what I can gauge submitting DS260 would signal intent to immigrate. I already get the third degree through customs so I'd rather avoid unnecessary questioning (given that my CN may be too high to progress to interview).

It's going to be hard to speculate on the chances for that number. DV2015 had a similar number of OC selectees and had a cutoff at 1490. However, things change year to year. Moving to Trump world will not be as attractive to some as it was before - so we might see less people respond. Also, the stricter enforcement of the re-use of a photo used in previous lotteries will (I believe) have created more "holes" between the numbers for the disqualified entries. So - if many people didn't follow the instructions we could see much less density (meaning case numbers move faster). Anyway - all speculation at the moment. Wait and see.

You can delay until Dec/Jan or even later with no impact.

Thanks @EmilyW and @Britsimon such a wealth of knowledge on this forum and for free.

@Britsimon Do you think the photo thing has not been picked up yet. Ie people who used an old photo have initially been selected?

Let's be clear about what we are talking about.

The rules have been clear for years that photos should be 6 months old or less. But new for this year is a statement in the instructions saying photos re-used from DV2017 entries would cause disqualification. So far - I have not had anyone who has re-used a DV2017 photo and got selected (and I would need 2 or 3 such reports to consider that genuine). Disqualified entries just see "not selected" - so I can't be sure whether those people were unlucky or disqualified. For people that just used "old photos (not from DV-2017), they will be selected, and generally will pass the interview UNLESS the initial entry photo was obviously much older. It's still an idiotic risk to take for the sake of 5 minutes to take a photo.

Haha now I'm worried about my photos, I did my application kind of last minute and can't remember which photo I used, I do remember there wasn't a whole lot of shoulder on it though (my face is long compared to all those examples on the dv site)

Hi Folks,
Lost count of the number of times I've entered, maybe 12, could be more. Selected this year (2018) but high CN OC20** so not expecting to get through. I always use a new photo and happy to know I've been filling the entry out correctly all these years!
I've been trying to find historical data of the number of selectees for each year without derivatives included. Anyone know where to find this?

Hi Folks,
Lost count of the number of times I've entered, maybe 12, could be more. Selected this year (2018) but high CN OC20** so not expecting to get through. I always use a new photo and happy to know I've been filling the entry out correctly all these years!
I've been trying to find historical data of the number of selectees for each year without derivatives included. Anyone know where to find this?

First set of links breaks down between principal applicants & derivatives by country.
https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...y-visa/diversity-visa-program-statistics.html