• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2017 DV Winners Meet Here!

Great!!! congrats am happy for you so what are you waiting for we really needs to hear your interview experience please post it sonner than later:);)

Here goes The Experience;

CN - 2017AF18***
Interview Date - March 13 - 2017 @ 7:30AM(1:30 in the morning) Local Time
Interview Location - U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa

I got to the embassy around 5:45AM(11:45).was the first to arrive.i was told to stay across the street until the embassy opens around 6:50(12:50).around 7 the embassy stuff came and started to sort the line in to various visa categories(DV, Visiting, adoption, marriage, etc).soon after that we were told to cross the street in line and stand around tables that were placed in front of the embassy gate.then we were given folders(klaser) and were told to place our documents as instructed on the folder.

the documents i provided were

** Passport Photo copy Of the first two page(Biometric)
** 2 x 5cm * 5cm photos
** Authenticated Birth certificate with a copy
** 1NL and 2NL
** Police Report From Ethiopia(original)
** Police Report From A Foreign Country If you Have one(I Presented mine because i attend a university outside of ethiopia)
** Authenticated 10th And 12th grade national exams with a copy each
** High School Transcript from Grade 9 to 12 with a copy(I authenticated mine)
** Medical Report from a designated institute(mine was From IOM)

After doing that i gave my folder to a stuff that was standing near by. after he checked that my documents were in order, he asked me if i had any cash to pay the visa fee(330$ or 7520Br) and i said yes(you can pay in the afternoon if you want).he gave me a pink paper and an appointment letter which states that i have to come back @ 1:00PM(7:00) then he told me to go inside and pay and come back in the afternoon.i went through security, headed inside and i was told to sign a paper acknowledging the money i was paying was non refundable regardless of the interview outcome.i signed the paper and paid my fees and then i went home.

In the after noon, i got there around 12:30PM(6:30) and went through security and headed inside.after 20 minutes or so my name was called to window 6 for pre interview screening.the guy asked me if i was married and if i had any job experience to which i answered NO.then he gave me a paper stating that i agree to join the Military if the U.S. was ever in need of any immediate man power(I am 22 Yrs Old), then he told me to register with in 30 days of arrival in the U.S. for the Selective Service System.after that he took my finger print and told me to sit and wait for my name to be called for the actual interview.after 30 minutes or so i was called to window 9.

CO: Hold You right hand up,Do you swear what you are about to say is the truth?
Me: Yes I swear
CO: Place your right hand on the finger print scanner.Took my finger print.
CO: Did you Graduate From High School?
Me: ***
CO: What Year Did Graduate?
Me: ****
CO: What Were The Best Subjects From Your Matric Exam(12th)?
Me: ****&****
CO: Ok, Have You Attended Any University??
Me: **
CO: Where?
CO: Do You Plan To Marry Before migrating to the U.S.?
CO: Congratulations Your Visa Has Been Approved!!And gave me a yellow paper.told me to pick up my visa after 8 days.
Me: Thank You!!
CO: You're Welcome!!said to send the yellow paper to my sponsor so that they can make payment towards my green card.
Me: Ok; Thank you again, Have a Nice day!!

Then I got out of the embassy without realizing what just happened because all this went down in just a minute!!everyone sitting was starring at me because my interview was the shortest out of all that were interviewed before me and were confused of the results. Shout out to the CO at window 9.

only one guy was denied from the people that were interviewed before me. that's because he couldn't qualify through both education(he had 10+3) and work experience(No experience).apart from that it was a happy day for almost everyone.

My Advice to y'all is that prepare all the documents precisely. don't leave any document behind. try to authenticate all the documents that need authenticating. i was never asked for affidavit of supports(i-134) but i had it with me.it helps to be over prepared and most of all be confident in front of the CO.

if you have any questions i will be glad to answer them!

Good Luck to All Who Are Current in March , April and May!!

CN - 2017AF18***

I got to the embassy around 5:45AM(11:45).was the first to arrive.i was told to stay across the street until the embassy opens around 6:50(12:50).around 7 the embassy stuff came and started to sort the line in to various visa categories(DV, Visiting, adoption, marriage, etc).soon after that we were told to cross the street in line and stand around tables that were placed in front of the embassy gate.then we were given folders(klaser) and were told to place our documents as instructed on the folder.

** 2 x 5cm * 5cm photos
** 1NL and 2NL
** Police Report From A Foreign Country If you Have one(I Presented mine because i attend a university outside of ethiopia)

After doing that i gave my folder to a stuff that was standing near by. after he checked that my documents were in order, he asked me if i had any cash to pay the visa fee(330$ or 7520Br) and i said yes(you can pay in the afternoon if you want).he gave me a pink paper and an appointment letter which states that i have to come back @ 1:00PM(7:00) then he told me to go inside and pay and come back in the afternoon.i went through security, headed inside and i was told to sign a paper acknowledging the money i was paying was non refundable regardless of the interview outcome.i signed the paper and paid my fees and then i went home.

In the after noon, i got there around 12:30PM(6:30) and went through security and headed inside.after 20 minutes or so my name was called to window 6 for pre interview screening.the guy asked me if i was married and if i had any job experience to which i answered NO.then he gave me a paper stating that i agree to join the Military if the U.S. was ever in need of any immediate man power(I am 22 Yrs Old), then he told me to register with in 30 days of arrival in the U.S. for the Selective Service System.after that he took my finger print and told me to sit and wait for my name to be called for the actual interview.after 30 minutes or so i was called to window 9.

CO: Congratulations Your Visa Has Been Approved!!And gave me a yellow paper.told me to pick up my visa after 8 days.
CO: You're Welcome!!said to send the yellow paper to my sponsor so that they can make payment towards my green card.

Then I got out of the embassy without realizing what just happened because all this went down in just a minute!!everyone sitting was starring at me because my interview was the shortest out of all that were interviewed before me and were confused of the results. Shout out to the CO at window 9.

only one guy was denied from the people that were interviewed before me. that's because he couldn't qualify through both education(he had 10+3) and work experience(No experience).apart from that it was a happy day for almost everyone.

My Advice to y'all is that prepare all the documents precisely. don't leave any document behind. try to authenticate all the documents that need authenticating. i was never asked for affidavit of supports(i-134) but i had it with me.it helps to be over prepared and most of all be confident in front of the CO.

Congra biyalew friend.
And thank you for sharing your interview experience. By the way 1-how to authenticate documents? 2-is it must to authenticating document?

Bravo!! As they always said be over prepared you sir are a good example of it ,as well your interview were very interesting honestly speeking I don't remember the best grade subject of mine in 10&12 ECLCE,

your affidavit support did you have the original one?

Please don't get lost visit us when you can good luck with your relocation

by the way when did you plan to move before you decide your airline choice please visit ET website they have direct flight to new York&,DC

Good luck!

CN - 2017AF18***

** 2 x 5cm * 5cm photos
** 1NL and 2NL

Bravo!! As they always said be over prepared you sir are a good example of it ,as well your interview were very interesting honestly speeking I don't remember the best grade subject of mine in 10&12 ECLCE,

your affidavit support did you have the original one?

Please don't get lost visit us when you can good luck with your relocation

by the way when did you plan to move before you decide your airline choice please visit ET website they have direct flight to new York&,DC

Good luck!

Yeah,its good to be prepared.i dont remember my best grades either.i just looked at the result papers prior to the interview because i thought they could only question me on the education part.

Yes,i took the original.

i will always visit.and thank you

I plan on going after 10 days.just to activate my status and come back. i have booked my flight with Emirates.its much cheaper than ET.And ET Flies Direct only on a return flight from U.S. , when you leave from addis you have to transit through Canada for with you need a Canadian transit visa; which i dont have at the moment.so its better to fly either with emirates or Qatar airways because they dont ask for transit visas to transit through their airports in Dubai and Doha. and after that they have direct flights to the U.S.(Cheap ticket price is also a plus)

Last edited:
Yeah,its good to be prepared.i dont remember my best grades either.i just looked at the result papers prior to the interview because i thought they could only question me on the education part.

Yes,i took the original.

i will always visit.and thank you

I plan on going after 10 days.just to activate my status and come back. i have booked my flight with Emirates.its much cheaper than ET.And ET Flies Direct only on a return flight from U.S. , when you leave from addis you have to transit through Canada for with you need a Canadian transit visa; which i dont have at the moment.so its better to fly either with emirates or Qatar airways because they dont ask for transit visas to transit through their airports in Dubai and Doha. and after that they have direct flights to the U.S.(Cheap ticket price is also a plus)

FYI once you are a green card holder you will no longer need visas to visit or transit Canada * (or to transit the U.K.). Might be worth to check the Canadian requirements if the flight suits you better, I know the U.K. authorities accept a US immigration visa packet in lieu of a transit visa, its possible Canada does the same.

* you do need to fill out an electronic travel authorization though (all visa exempt travelers do now).

Last edited:
Hi ZeaDRocKET

From your interview experience

I have been randomly selected for the DV 2017 program and I am filling the form on may 28,2016 and Re-open July 27,2016 DS 260. My Case No Current on April Wetting 2nd NL Appointment Letter

1) I have filled in the form DS 260 about my education from Grade 10-12, Diploma and Degree. Not including Grade 9 b/c of I was Learn in Eretria in 1998 G.C so I have not grade certificate, which means before age of 16. So is there problem?
2) I put all the institution Except Grade 9; I have attended from Grade 10-12, Diploma and Degree. In Addition to I have mentioned 12 ESCLCE Certificate

Thank you!

IOM is in front of DH geda building(bole) you find it just after Millennium Hole..
*they didn't ask me to take any vaccination.
*i completed all the med exams on tuesday(morning). It took me roughly 2 hours to get done with the tests. first they took some blood for the lab, then chest x-ray and finally physical exam..
* I went there on monday(afternoon) first to make an appointment for the following day(tuesday), completed the check ups on tuesday and i received the result in a sealed envelope today(wed.) so it's only 3 days but if you go there early morning for the appointment i think it takes 2 days unless, of course, they request further tests)
they work for 8.am- 11 in the afternoon

Thank you dear,

So, everything ends there, they don't send you nowhere?

am asking you this because i read from this forum, (may be previous year"s) that they send you to 'TIKUR ANBESA' hospital and somewhere else for

some examinations.

Thank You!! it is a must to Authenticate birth certificate,10th & 12th Matric Result.but it doesn't hurt to authenticate the transcripts.(it doesn't need authentication from MOFA)

To authenticate follow the below link

http://forums.immigration.com/threa...winners-meet-here.331323/page-23#post-2453145

Wow, congra buddy!
happy happy. we hope we all will follow your footsteps.

by the way what do you mean by .'(it doesn't need authentication from MOFA)'? do you mean we authenticat the transcript in our former school but
not in MoFA? or what?

CN - 2017AF18***

** 2 x 5cm * 5cm photos
** 1NL and 2NL

WOW congra bro! Thank you for shearing your expiriance for us it is very important. Is all the question in english or by local language?

Thank you dear,

am asking you this because i read from this forum, (may be previous year"s) that they send you to 'TIKUR ANBESA' hospital and somewhere else for

some examinations.
Thank you dear,

some examinations.
Thank you dear,

some examinations.
yes they send you to Pioneers, which is behind alem cinema, very near to IOM, to do the x-ray.