• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

What I meant by the KCC files was that, none of the applicants have reported that they were told in the interview that the IO is waiting for the KCC file before they approve the case. And regarding the background checks, are the individuals native to countries like Nepal subject to extensive background processing ?

Yes so far, no one has reported that - not unusual, several 2016 cases got approved the same way. AFAIK, natives of Nepal are typically not subjected to prolonged background checks, however being a native of certain countries is not the only reason one may end up with a prolonged background check.

I have the B/C translated from the Government Agency i.e. The Municipality of my birthplace. It has the stamp of the government and it is translated by the municipality not by a specific translator. In this case do I still need to provide the certified statement from the translator ? Since it is not a translator but the municipality.

Please use your own best judgement. I've told you over and over USCIS says with regards to translated documents.

when filling the I-131 advanced parole form for temporary overseas travel, If I explain in part 7 the purpose of the trip, do I have to again attach a separate paper with the purpose, as it is stated in part 7 of the form ?

Purpose of the trip is not the same as how your qualify for an AP. Follow the instructions on the form.

Do I have to worry about bringing anything to the biometrics appointment besides the things they mention in the notice (i.e. passport and the notice itself)? Also, on the notice it says that no phones are allowed inside, but will there be some sort of locker or security station where I can leave my phone during the appointemnt

Do I have to worry about bringing anything to the biometrics appointment besides the things they mention in the notice (i.e. passport and the notice itself)? Also, on the notice it says that no phones are allowed inside, but will there be some sort of locker or security station where I can leave my phone during the appointemnt

I had my phone with me the whole time, in my pocket, vibration mode. There was not security check or scanner, nothing. Just a security guy who checked my name from a list.

Dear Mom,
Thank you so much for the massive help.
Luckily I have been selected for the DV2017. I have Followed all the steps very carefully. I have done the bio last month, still did not receive the interview letter. Now my concern is on July 20 my current status will expire, I am worried that I get the interview letter by Feb or March and then USCIS won't adjust my status because it's less than six months. Should I send to FO? When I check my status online it says that "On November 19, 2016, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status,...."

Thank you.

Hello,

I previously filed the I-485 and wrote a check of $1225.00 (1140 AOS fee + 85 Biometrics). It was returned to me with a "Notice of Action I-797C" of the type "Rejection Notice", with the Receipt number starting with MSC. It says the followings:

"The payment amount is incorrect, or has not been provided. Please review the Form Instructions for fee information. Please resubmit the application/petition package with the appropriate fees to the address listed on the bottom of this page.

Please note:
The biometric services fee is not required for I-485 applicants age 13 or younger.
The biometric services fee is not required for I-485 applicants age 79 or older.

Please be sure to complete the application fully, submit the appropriate fees, and include all required supporting documentation."

My check was nailed onto the "Rejection Notice", with the "Pay to the order of" column stamped
"U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Citizenship and Immigration Services"
Originally I wrote U.S. Department of Homeland Security as requested.

I'm both confused and angry as I am very sure $1225 is the correct amount required. I can only think of two possible reasons for them to say my amount is wrong.

A) I sent in the package on Dec 21, and the new fee schedule was effective starting Dec 23. If this is true I'd be really really sad. Only a difference of 2 days made me delay a whole month... I doubt if that's the case though, since my case number only becomes current in February, in which the new fee would already be effective.

B) They mistaken me as younger than 13 or older than 79, since they explicitly mentioned the fee is not required for those age groups

I plan to call them on Monday to see if they can explain it...

So several questions here:

1. Any idea what's the problem?

2. If it turns out that it's their fault (probably reason B), should I try to file Requests to Expedite Applications or Petitions (since it involved an USCIS error)? How long does it usually take and what is the chance of success? Would it further delay my application (Probably better off just resubmitting the package)?

3. They stapled all my documents into two packages, and printed some numbers on the bottom of all my documents. Should I send everything back with the new check without rearranging them? (Since it seems that incorrect payment amount is the only reason it was rejected)

4. Should I be worried that the visa quotas are being used up because of this delay? I am really frustrated since failure to apply for green card affects my F1 status and I'd not be able to visit my parents in home country for 3+ yrs ...

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Dear Mom,
Thank you so much for the massive help.
Luckily I have been selected for the DV2017. I have Followed all the steps very carefully. I have done the bio last month, still did not receive the interview letter. Now my concern is on July 20 my current status will expire, I am worried that I get the interview letter by Feb or March and then USCIS won't adjust my status because it's less than six months. Should I send to FO? When I check my status online it says that "On November 19, 2016, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status,...."

Thank you.

I don't understand what you mean by if you get the interview letter by February or March, USCIS wouldn't adjust your status because it's less than 6 months - you need to shed more light on this.

Have you taken a look at both the current and past Timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of your FO's average processing time for DV based AOS cases?

Hello,

I previously filed the I-485 and wrote a check of $1225.00 (1140 AOS fee + 85 Biometrics). It was returned to me with a "Notice of Action I-797C" of the type "Rejection Notice", with the Receipt number starting with MSC. It says the followings:

"The payment amount is incorrect, or has not been provided. Please review the Form Instructions for fee information. Please resubmit the application/petition package with the appropriate fees to the address listed on the bottom of this page.

Please note:
The biometric services fee is not required for I-485 applicants age 13 or younger.
The biometric services fee is not required for I-485 applicants age 79 or older.

Please be sure to complete the application fully, submit the appropriate fees, and include all required supporting documentation."

My check was nailed onto the "Rejection Notice", with the "Pay to the order of" column stamped

I'm both confused and angry as I am very sure $1225 is the correct amount required. I can only think of two possible reasons for them to say my amount is wrong.

A) I sent in the package on Dec 21, and the new fee schedule was effective starting Dec 23. If this is true I'd be really really sad. Only a difference of 2 days made me delay a whole month... I doubt if that's the case though, since my case number only becomes current in February, in which the new fee would already be effective.

B) They mistaken me as younger than 13 or older than 79, since they explicitly mentioned the fee is not required for those age groups

2. If it turns out that it's their fault (probably reason B), should I try to file Requests to Expedite Applications or Petitions (since it involved an USCIS error)? How long does it usually take and what is the chance of success? Would it further delay my application (Probably better off just resubmitting the package)?

3. They stapled all my documents into two packages, and printed some numbers on the bottom of all my documents. Should I send everything back with the new check without rearranging them? (Since it seems that incorrect payment amount is the only reason it was rejected)

4. Should I be worried that the visa quotas are being used up because of this delay? I am really frustrated since failure to apply for green card affects my F1 status and I'd not be able to visit my parents in home country for 3+ yrs ...

1. They probably used the mailing date to determine the required fee. So since you mailed your package 2 days before the new fee structure took effect, they considered the fee as incorrect and rejected your package.

2. Even if package rejection was due to an error on their side, your focus right now should be to get the package accepted. You can't be talking about expediting when you don't even have anything in the system to start with.

3. Yes send back the package as is with a new check.

4. There's still roughly about 8 months to go, I don't see a need to be worried about visas running out.

@appreciate_ur_effort,

I believe you previously stated you mailed your package on Dec 20th, and it was delivered on Dec 21st evidenced by the delivery signature from your courier, not that you sent it in on Dec 21st. It was delivered/received before the new fee structure took effect, so the package rejection makes perfect sense IMHO.

@appreciate_ur_effort,

I believe you previously stated you mailed your package on Dec 20th, and it was delivered on Dec 21st evidenced by the delivery signature from your courier, not that you sent it in on Dec 21st. It was delivered/received before the new fee structure took effect, so the package rejection makes perfect sense IMHO.

Thanks for your reply Mom!
I'm just a bit frustrated since I paid more than enough and got rejected. Thought my fee should be the new one cause my number only becomes current in February. Didn't expect it to be so bureaucratic... My bad anyways...

Just to confirm, should I write the check for biometrics (85) and AOS fee (1140) separately? Or is it a good idea to write them on the same check?

Any other hidden fee involved? The only fee inside the package should be the 1140+85 fee right?...

Thanks a lot again for your kind help!

Thanks for your reply Mom!
I'm just a bit frustrated since I paid more than enough and got rejected. Thought my fee should be the new one cause my number only becomes current in February. Didn't expect it to be so bureaucratic... My bad anyways...

Just to confirm, should I write the check for biometrics (85) and AOS fee (1140) separately? Or is it a good idea to write them on the same check?

Any other hidden fee involved? The only fee inside the package should be the 1140+85 fee right?...

Thanks a lot again for your kind help!

It has to be an exact fee since they don't issue change. The amount generated must match the number of petitions they report on. What do you expect them to do with your excess fee? The fact that your CN is current in February is irrelevant - if you wanted to go by that then you should have waited till February before sending in your package. I think you should take responsibility for your own error, rather than feeling frustrated and blaming USCIS for rejecting your package. As far as USCIS is concerned, an over payment is the same as an under payment - such a package is REQUIRED to be rejected.

A single check is fine - ensure you put in the correct amount.

I don't understand what you mean by if you get the interview letter by February or March, USCIS wouldn't adjust your status because it's less than 6 months - you need to shed more light on this.

Have you taken a look at both the current and past Timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of your FO's average processing time for DV based AOS cases?

Thank you Mom,
Yes, I have looked as the timeline on the spreadsheet and it usually takes a month to receive the interview letter. That's why I did not take any actions yet because I did my fingerprints on Dec. 13.

Currently, my legal status in the US will expire on 20 July 2016. I am afraid that if I get the interview date in Feb or Mar, my AOS won't be adjusted; based on what I understand the AOS will occur only if my legal status will expire 6 months or more from the interview date.

That's why I am afraid I have the interview date after Feb. 20, during the interview, I will be less than 6 months to my legal status.

Hello,

Please note:

Hi @Sm1smom ,

So the "Pay to the order of" column has to be "U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services" and not "U.S. Department of Homeland Security" as advised in I-485?

Thank you Mom,
Yes, I have looked as the timeline on the spreadsheet and it usually takes a month to receive the interview letter. That's why I did not take any actions yet because I did my fingerprints on Dec. 13.

Currently, my legal status in the US will expire on 20 July 2016. I am afraid that if I get the interview date in Feb or Mar, my AOS won't be adjusted; based on what I understand the AOS will occur only if my legal status will expire 6 months or more from the interview date.

That's why I am afraid I have the interview date after Feb. 20, during the interview, I will be less than 6 months to my legal status.

Your understanding of the AOS process is flawed. There's no such thing as AOS happening only if ones present legal status will expire six months or more from the interview date. Absolutely not!

In order to qualify to process AOS, one is required to be in a legal status at least as at the time of the AOS petition being accepted by USCIS, to have entered the US legally, and to not have violated terms of admission by not undertaking unauthorized employment. Your petition was submitted way before your current status is likely to expire.

Hi @Sm1smom ,

So the "Pay to the order of" column has to be "U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services" and not "U.S. Department of Homeland Security" as advised in I-485?

Form I-485 instruction says:

Use the following guidelines when you prepare your check or money order for the Form I-485 filing and biometrics services fee:

1. The check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States and must be payable in U.S. currency; and

2. Make the check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

NOTE: Spell out U.S. Department of Homeland Security; do not use the initials "USDHS" or "DHS."

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Your understanding of the AOS process is flawed. There's no such thing as AOS happening only if ones present legal status will expire six months or more from the interview date. Absolutely not!

In order to qualify to process AOS, one is required to be in a legal status at least as at the time of the AOS petition being accepted by USCIS, to have entered the US legally, and to not have violated terms of admission by not undertaking unauthorized employment. Your petition was submitted way before your current status is likely to expire.

Thank you so much.

Hello,
I am currently in the U.S. on an F1 visa and have been selected for the 2017 dv lottery. I have already filed everything, the AOS, DS-260, payed all the fees and received the biometrics letter in the mail showing when my appointment will be. I have read around here that you will need to provide financial evidence so that you will not become a public charge.

1. My question is, an affidavit of support form was filed when I was changing my visa from F2 to F1, as it was required to show from where I will be financing my stay in the U.S. Could I use that form if I get asked in the interview for financial evidence?

2. What is considered a substantial amount of funds to have in a bank account to prove you won't be a public charge? I am single and have no dependents.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am currently in the U.S. on an F1 visa and have been selected for the 2017 dv lottery. I have already filed everything, the AOS, DS-260, payed all the fees and received the biometrics letter in the mail showing when my appointment will be. I have read around here that you will need to provide financial evidence so that you will not become a public charge.

1. My question is, an affidavit of support form was filed when I was changing my visa from F2 to F1, as it was required to show from where I will be financing my stay in the U.S. Could I use that form if I get asked in the interview for financial evidence?

2. What is considered a substantial amount of funds to have in a bank account to prove you won't be a public charge? I am single and have no dependents.

1. That form is not an I-134 which is the correct affidavit required in this case. Plus the documents being submitted in support of the affidavit needs to be current.

2. I can't quote a figure, one's annual is usually given more consideration. My suggestion is to find someone to fill out the affidavit of support for you.