• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

I wouldn't worry about the Name Change certificate if the changes are listed on the Birth Certificate. In some jurisdictions (Victoria), they won't even give you a name change certificate unless you were born overseas.

I've had two changes, produced the birth certificate which had both names listed, and it was fine.

So my number is now current (a few others on this forum must be, too, there were a few of us in the 700s) and I'm wondering what my chances are for a March interview. Just checked my old posts, and I didn't resubmit my DS260 until late August. As much as I'd like to get the interview sooner rather than later, I also have an overseas trip in March (whoops, forgot about keeping my Tuesdays free!), so I wouldn't mind waiting until April :p

Please keep us posted! I'll be in the same situation next month (my number should be current in the next batch for April interviews and i also unlocked and resubmitted). Interested to see if people that unlocked and resubmitted will get interviews on time or later :)

Getting way ahead of myself now but my number will go current next month (for April interviews). Just wondering when i should get my 'pre medicals' done at the local GP? E.g. Vaccinations, xrays required?? (Haven't checked what's needed yet). I read on this forum earlier that some people had some vaccinations done before going to the consulated appointed doctor to save costs.

I think i might have to get a blood test to see which vaccinations i'm missing.

Thanks!

Please keep us posted! I'll be in the same situation next month (my number should be current in the next batch for April interviews and i also unlocked and resubmitted). Interested to see if people that unlocked and resubmitted will get interviews on time or later :)

Sure, I'll update :) and good luck for next month!

Getting way ahead of myself now but my number will go current next month (for April interviews). Just wondering when i should get my 'pre medicals' done at the local GP? E.g. Vaccinations, xrays required?? (Haven't checked what's needed yet). I read on this forum earlier that some people had some vaccinations done before going to the consulated appointed doctor to save costs.

Thanks!

I wouldn't have x-rays done personally but I did this for my vaccinations. I didn't have records so I had a blood test to figure out where I stood. In the end the boosters I had with the GP ended up being reasonably expensive so I don't know if it saved that much. If nothing else it made me feel prepared going in to the official medical. :)

Thanks!

I got told that the xrays needed to be done on the same day as the medical - so definitely don't have the xrays done beforehand. I had my medical, then had to go off-site to get the xrays done, then I needed to wait for them to be printed and then physically take them back to the original doc on the same day (the same-day thing was very important).

As for the vaccinations, I had all my vaccination records so only needed a booster for tetanus/pertussis, I think it was $60 or something - one of the most inexpensive components of the medical. I guess it depends on the clinic as to how expensive it is.

I got told that the xrays needed to be done on the same day as the medical - so definitely don't have the xrays done beforehand. I had my medical, then had to go off-site to get the xrays done, then I needed to wait for them to be printed and then physically take them back to the original doc on the same day (the same-day thing was very important).

As for the vaccinations, I had all my vaccination records so only needed a booster for tetanus/pertussis, I think it was $60 or something - one of the most inexpensive components of the medical. I guess it depends on the clinic as to how expensive it is.

Did you have to present your passport and a form from the doctor for the X-rays? I know in other countries this is done.

And there have been a few stories of people going to get vaccinations before to save money and getting a bunch they don't actually need, because the CDC list doesn't apply to everyone (you get age waivers on a bunch of them if you're an adult).

Did you have to present your passport and a form from the doctor for the X-rays? I know in other countries this is done.

Yeah, I was told to bring my passport and needed to present it to the doctor and the radiology place.

ETA: I had to present the xray referral from my doctor too. I paid for all the medical elements at the doctor's (including vaccinations, xrays and the bloods), so I'm not too sure if that is the usual course of events.

ETA (again): I also aged out on a few vaccinations - I was too old for some (many seemed to cut off about 19?) and was too young for others.

Yeah, I was told to bring my passport and needed to present it to the doctor and the radiology place.

ETA: I had to present the xray referral from my doctor too. I paid for all the medical elements at the doctor's (including vaccinations, xrays and the bloods), so I'm not too sure if that is the usual course of events.

ETA (again): I also aged out on a few vaccinations - I was too old for some (many seemed to cut off about 19?) and was too young for others.

Yup - so getting the X-rays done before (even if you know what to ask for) will just be a waste of money as they won't be accepted - and your experience underscores the vaccination situation - unless someone manages to find out from the panel doctor exactly what they'd need they'd very likely end up paying for vaccinations they don't even need.

Thanks guys. I won't get any vaccinations or xrays beforehand then.

So just making sure:

I may have most of my vaccination records but for the ones that are missing, will the panel doctor order a blood test for those (extra fees?)? Or would it be better to get a blood test done at the GP before going? Will it be accepted by the panel doctor?

We had some done beforehand and they were the ones the panel doctor would have done anyway. So we did save some money.

But, as @SusieQQQ, you could just end up getting vaccinations that you didn't need in the first place.

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has a good tax contact in the US? The tax deadline is fast approaching and we'll (my wife and I) need to submit our US taxes soon.

Has anyone used an accountant whilst still in Australia? Do you know roughly how much it'll cost?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ben

Thanks!

Check which vaccinations are required for Immigrant Visa and knock those out. CDC.gov has them listed. I think they are about 5.

Thanks guys. I won't get any vaccinations or xrays beforehand then.

So just making sure:

I may have most of my vaccination records but for the ones that are missing, will the panel doctor order a blood test for those (extra fees?)? Or would it be better to get a blood test done at the GP before going? Will it be accepted by the panel doctor?

CDC.gov currently lists three as being mandatory. Mumps, Measles and Rubella

So I'm trying to figure out my Health Insurance... Any advice would be much appreciated!

According to the Affordable Care Act, all US lawful permanent residents must have health insurance, or face penalties.

I was planning on getting Incoming Immigrant Insurance, until I get a job that provides me with health insurance. However, the insurance provided by this website does "not provide benefits required by, ACA".

So, should I go to https://www.healthcare.gov/ and try sign up?

And to make matters more stressful, there's only 13 days left to enroll for health insurance! Argh

So I'm trying to figure out my Health Insurance... Any advice would be much appreciated!

According to the Affordable Care Act, all US lawful permanent residents must have health insurance, or face penalties.

I was planning on getting Incoming Immigrant Insurance, until I get a job that provides me with health insurance. However, the insurance provided by this website does "not provide benefits required by, ACA".

And to make matters more stressful, there's only 13 days left to enroll for health insurance! Argh

The penalties are pretty small, and Trump & co are about to try get rid of it, so up to you if you wany to stress about ACA per se. Incidentally, immigration is a "life event" and you have up to, I can't remember, 30 or 60 days after landing to get insurance ("life events" allow you to change insurance outside the usual enrollment period).

However, make sure you have coverage that works, because even a simple ER visit can set you back a few thousand dollars, never mind something like emergency surgery after an accident...

Yep as Susie says immigration is a life event - so no stress there.

The temporary coverages are OK for short periods. It buys you time and protects against a massive financial hit if you have a problem. It is not a long term replacement however.