• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

many thx, I understand than CP seems easier then AOS, but I really have my reasons, it's complicated.
I only wanna know exactly this way is legal and possible

Filing an extension of a none immigrant status for the ultimate purpose of filing AOS is possible and legal. There are previous DV selectees who have done the exact same thing.

However as long as you're aware an approval of the extension is not guaranteed, and if that petition gets denied while your AOS petition is pending, you're automatically no longer eligible for AOS. Your AOS petition will most likely get denied also.

Now, that you've been adequately informed (I think?), you decide on the best course of action for your case.

many thx!
I got it.
One more question: should I fill out DS-260 for AOS in my case?
Some people tell this need to do, some people tell that wrong way, and filling DS-260 for AOS can make bad things.

many thx!
I got it.
Some people tell this need to do, some people tell that wrong way, and filling DS-260 for AOS can make bad things.

Nothing bad can happen by completing the DS260. Doing so opens the case file from KCC - and that is needed later, so I believe completing the DS260 is the right choice.

I had a couple of question regarding the form:
1. While filling out the DS 260 form it asks if the Department of Homeland Security has issued an alien registration number ? As an F1 student do we have an alien registration number ?
2. On the previous US travels, the form asks us to specify the date of visit and the length? As an F1 student I have traveled back home several times, do I have to fill out the date of entry every time I entered the US ? What do I write on the length of stay?
3. My highest level of education is Associates in Science and I am currently pursuing my Bachelors Degree. Is it okay if I specify Other and on the blank box write down Associates In Science ? Or is it better to just choose High School Diploma?

These are my concerns while filling out the form.

many thx!
I got it.
"One more question: should I fill out DS-260 for AOS in my case?"
Look, as pointed out on several occasions earlier, only y o u and you alone can take the decision whether to file AoS or CP, based on the (hopefully) clear understanding of potential implications. If you decided to follow AoS, by all means go ahead with the DS-260 as advised. Good luck!

many thx!
I got it.

Fill and submit the DS-260 form, it cannot make any bad things for AOS.

By the way, go through the first post on page one of this Thread for the link to the AOS process spreadsheet which has a step by step guide of what's required and what to do.

I had a couple of question regarding the form:
1. While filling out the DS 260 form it asks if the Department of Homeland Security has issued an alien registration number ? As an F1 student do we have an alien registration number ?
2. On the previous US travels, the form asks us to specify the date of visit and the length? As an F1 student I have traveled back home several times, do I have to fill out the date of entry every time I entered the US ? What do I write on the length of stay?
3. My highest level of education is Associates in Science and I am currently pursuing my Bachelors Degree. Is it okay if I specify Other and on the blank box write down Associates In Science ? Or is it better to just choose High School Diploma?

These are my concerns while filling out the form.

1. Short answer: No. You wouldn't have an A # if you've never applied for any form of benefits from USCIS in the past.

2. Fill out the first day of entry, use the date of the DS submission as exit date. Since you're still currently based in the US, it doesn't have to be exact, but close enough is okay.

3. Yes, select the 'Other' option.

"One more question: should I fill out DS-260 for AOS in my case?"
Look, as pointed out on several occasions earlier, only y o u and you alone can take the decision whether to file AoS or CP, based on the (hopefully) clear understanding of potential implications. If you decided to follow AoS, by all means go ahead with the DS-260 as advised. Good luck!

Of course I maid my own choice. It is AOS. I understand possible difficulties, but I have my own reasons for it.
Thx for you care)

Fill and submit the DS-260 form, it cannot make any bad things for AOS.

By the way, go through the first post on page one of this Thread for the link to the AOS process spreadsheet which has a step by step guide of what's required and what to do.

Thx,
I have read that spreadsheet, it is grate for understanding of process AOS, thx for it.
But I don't know if it correct for now (dates there 2015) and some people on another website speak convincingly than filling out DS-260 can be reason for decline for AOS process.

Thx,
I have read that spreadsheet, it is grate for understanding of process AOS, thx for it.
But I don't know if it correct for now (dates there 2015) and some people on another website speak convincingly than filling out DS-260 can be reason for decline for AOS process.
I am sorry for having to say this, yet you truly seem to have all the elements in place to mess a simple DV process up... Where in this picture is the immigration lawyer you consulted with for your potential extension of non-immigrant status? Just asking... :)

Thx,

Yes, the date shows 2015, because use of DS-260 only started in 2015. It doesn't mean it's not applicable to DV 2017. DSP-122 and DS-230 where the forms in use prior to that. However feel free to go with what's being said or suggested on the other website you're also consulting, I hope they also have a step by step guide of the AOS process in addition to telling AOSers submitting the DS form is a reason for 'decline for AOS process' - whatever that means. Anyway, I'm done with the back and forth discussion on the need or otherwise for the DS form.

FYI: The AOS spreadsheet is a 'living document' - I try to update it on a regular basis and as applicable.

Yes, the date shows 2015, because use of DS-260 only started in 2015. It doesn't mean it's not applicable to DV 2017. DSP-122 and DS-230 where the forms in use prior to that. However feel free to go with what's being said or suggested on the other website you're also consulting, I hope they also have a step by step guide of the AOS process in addition to telling AOSers submitting the DS form is a reason for 'decline for AOS process' - whatever that means. Anyway, I'm done with the back and forth discussion on the need or otherwise for the DS form.

FYI: The AOS spreadsheet is a 'living document' - I try to update it on a regular basis and as applicable.

...not to mention that the person has a lawyer, too. Seems they are finding it hard to reconcile the different forums and their lawyer with what they want to do...when there is a clear and simple alternative.

There are definitely people on these forums who only hear what they want to hear, and if they don't get advice that validates what they want they ignore it. I'm not quite sure what the point of asking for advice in the first place is then but...we have a few of these people at the moment, will be interesting to see what the outcomes are.

...not to mention that the person has a lawyer, too. Seems they are finding it hard to reconcile the different forums and their lawyer with what they want to do...when there is a clear and simple alternative.

There are definitely people on these forums who only hear what they want to hear, and if they don't get advice that validates what they want they ignore it. I'm not quite sure what the point of asking for advice in the first place is then but...we have a few of these people at the moment, will be interesting to see what the outcomes are.

Yeah, indeed.

In fact, there are some who ask questions here, and when they're not happy with my response - because its contrary to what they want to do and had hoped to hear - they move on to Simon's blog to ask him the same question. I always have a good chuckle every time I come across those on Simon's blog.

I am sorry for having to say this, yet you truly seem to have all the elements in place to mess a simple DV process up... Where in this picture is the immigration lawyer you consulted with for your potential extension of non-immigrant status? Just asking... :)

For my situation CP can be more difficult than AOS, lot of circumstances. It is complicated and private, sorry.

thx for your attention,
I did not ask about what is the way more convenient for me CP or AOS.
I asked questions about some circumstances of AOS way.
I had lawyer before we won DV lottery, It is reason for ask him about it.
I read another forum because that was my language forum (russian) from that forum I learned about this forum.

For my situation CP can be more difficult than AOS, lot of circumstances. It is complicated and private, sorry.
Please know that my concern was not related to CP vs. AoS, both are valid for processing DV and both can be successful if handled appropriately. In many cases, in fact, AoS will be the preferable route if both options equally exist... Anyways, good luck to you and yours.

Yeah, indeed.

In fact, there are some who ask questions here, and when they're not happy with my response - because its contrary to what they want to do and had hoped to hear - they move on to Simon's blog to ask him the same question. I always have a good chuckle every time I come across those on Simon's blog.
I don't know who is Simon.
Thx for your answers, it good help for me.
And please, no trolling)
I just wanna make my case successful, and it possible now only by AOS.
Thx for all for care and answers.

I read another forum because that was my language forum (russian) from that forum I learned about this forum.

Is that @raevsky's forum? I ask because I know he used to tell AOSers in this forum not to bother submitting the DSP-122 form back then when it was in use, even though he never went through the AOS process, and accused those of use guiding people otherwise based on our personal experiences, of being scam artists.

I don't know who is Simon.
Thx for your answers, it good help for me.
And please, no trolling)
I just wanna make my case successful, and it possible now only by AOS.
Thx for all for care and answers.

And I didn't say you personally posted on Simon's blog - that post wasn't about you.

And yes, you know Simon, you've already met him in this forum, :), you just haven't connected the dots yet ;)