• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How much money should we have saved in bank accounts.

Bellx3

Hi,
We have applied for the DV so I am reading up on what happens after a person is selected. (our chances are in the region of 4% so low but its better than no chance at all)

I am reading currently about the financial report which you must provide on the day of the interview. If you not not have a sponsor (We do) but still we want to have the best case possible. I can't seem to find any information on this.

Any ideas on how much funds we should have saved for the financial report to satisfy the consular officer? just a ballpark figure. We are 2 adults. 3 children under the age of 10.

Thank you,
Hope everyone is enjoying the Holiday's!

Hi,
We have applied for the DV so I am reading up on what happens after a person is selected. (our chances are in the region of 4% so low but its better than no chance at all)

I am reading currently about the financial report which you must provide on the day of the interview. If you not not have a sponsor (We do) but still we want to have the best case possible. I can't seem to find any information on this.

Any ideas on how much funds we should have saved for the financial report to satisfy the consular officer? just a ballpark figure. We are 2 adults. 3 children under the age of 10.

Thank you,

Ballpark - $30000

Hi,

Thank you,

the minimum amount is determined by looking at US poverty rate for given number of family members. I think you have to have a certain percentage above that poverty rate.

the minimum amount is determined by looking at US poverty rate for given number of family members. I think you have to have a certain percentage above that poverty rate.

That is not correct. You are referring to the yardstick that is applied to an affidavit of support, not savings.

Hi everyone,
I am currently organising funds for my interview. My husband and I should have 10.000 euros each in our bank accounts, and he owns an apartment in Paris which is approx 270.000 euros in value and we will live off renting it out once in the US. Will this be enough to prove that we will not become a public charge? Will I/he need to get an affidavit of support as well? Britsimon I asked you this earlier, but did a more thorough review of my finances o_O
Thank you in advance for your response!

Out of curiosity, do you plan on getting jobs as well as living off the rental income ? How much rent can you earn? You will of course be liable for tax on that rental income in the US.

Hi everyone,
I am currently organising funds for my interview. My husband and I should have 10.000 euros each in our bank accounts, and he owns an apartment in Paris which is approx 270.000 euros in value and we will live off renting it out once in the US. Will this be enough to prove that we will not become a public charge? Will I/he need to get an affidavit of support as well? Britsimon I asked you this earlier, but did a more thorough review of my finances o_O
Thank you in advance for your response!

$20,000 should be enough for a couple - but if you interview in Paris they may ask for a affidavit of support (I-134) anyway.

As Susie says, the income on your rental investment (and the costs of moving the money) will reduce your actual income - and in any case, there are not many places in the USA where that kind of income will support you - so I hope you are planning on working.

@SusieQQQ @Britsimon
We both plan on working full time and will have good wages on top of the extra rent from the apartment in Paris, which should be approx 1000 euros per month. I might be able to also get an affidavit of support, but I'm not sure about my husband as he doesn't know many people in the US.

@SusieQQQ @Britsimon
We both plan on working full time and will have good wages on top of the extra rent from the apartment in Paris, which should be approx 1000 euros per month. I might be able to also get an affidavit of support, but I'm not sure about my husband as he doesn't know many people in the US.

One AOS will cover you both.

Hi Britsimon!

I have similar question regarding Evidence of Financial Viability -
my Interview is on Feb 9th 2016 and for now there are my husband and I as applicants.
I am also two months pregnant right now.

Does it depend on at which country are you going to be interviewed for finances questions?
Considering what I mentioned above - how much approximately should we have to show at the embessy as an evidence?

We have appartment loan as well and paid half of it already - approximately 35000$.
Also we both have pretty good income for my country as a full-time employees.

Thanks a lot!

I'm very confused about this information. There's no requirement for bank statement or anything like that for the interview, how come people here are asking about that?
My wife got selected for DV2018 and we are preparing our documents as per instructions...there's nothing about income!
Is it something additional that applicants do to insure getting the visa??
What if I had no big bank account but will get family support (home country family, not in US) before moving to US? Does that risk my chances of getting the visas?
Thanks in advance for clarifications

I'm very confused about this information. There's no requirement for bank statement or anything like that for the interview, how come people here are asking about that?
My wife got selected for DV2018 and we are preparing our documents as per instructions...there's nothing about income!
Is it something additional that applicants do to insure getting the visa??
What if I had no big bank account but will get family support (home country family, not in US) before moving to US? Does that risk my chances of getting the visas?
Thanks in advance for clarifications

Yes, there definitely is a requirement for one to demonstrate they have the financial means in place to support themselves. The support has to be available in the US. Did you read the DV instructions (before submitting your eDV registration) where it says:

"If you are selected to apply for a DV, you must demonstrate that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) submitted by a relative or friend residing in the United States, an offer of employment from an employer in the United States, or other evidence." (p.15)

https://travel.state.gov/content/da...Translations/DV-2018 Instructions English.pdf

Thanks Sm1smom for you fast reply.
I own an apartment here in Egypt, if I bring the contract to interview, would that be countable?
I work in a good company here in Egypt with more that enough monthly income, would that help?
I can get the family support in a bank account, would that help?
Thanks

Thanks Sm1smom for you fast reply.
I own an apartment here in Egypt, if I bring the contract to interview, would that be countable?
I work in a good company here in Egypt with more that enough monthly income, would that help?
I can get the family support in a bank account, would that help?
Thanks

The assets should be liquid assets (immediately available), so the rental income does not help.
You will be quitting your job in Egypt, so no, that doesn't help.
A gift (no refundable) to swell your bank account can help - or you can just get an I-134.

FYI, if you are interviewing in Cairo - they rarely ask for financials, but it is always wise to prepare anyway since poor preparation causes delays.

The assets should be liquid assets (immediately available), so the rental income does not help.
You will be quitting your job in Egypt, so no, that doesn't help.
A gift (no refundable) to swell your bank account can help - or you can just get an I-134.

FYI, if you are interviewing in Cairo - they rarely ask for financials, but it is always wise to prepare anyway since poor preparation causes delays.

Thanks Brit for the comforting clarification.
Yes I will interview at Cairo.
I can try to get the family support before interview and add it to my saving account and get the bank statement with me to the interview just in case.
The other BIG deal I'm facing here is that my wife is pregnant and her due date is expected to be on late January, 2018 and we wished to get the baby on US land to secure US passport for her/him. Do you have any advice for me regarding the process and also about Health Insurance?
If everything went fine with no delays, we will travel to California around 1st December, 2017 (31st week of my wife's pregnancy), I know it's risky, but worth it I guess.

Thanks Brit for the comforting clarification.
Yes I will interview at Cairo.
I can try to get the family support before interview and add it to my saving account and get the bank statement with me to the interview just in case.
The other BIG deal I'm facing here is that my wife is pregnant and her due date is expected to be on late January, 2018 and we wished to get the baby on US land to secure US passport for her/him. Do you have any advice for me regarding the process and also about Health Insurance?
If everything went fine with no delays, we will travel to California around 1st December, 2017 (31st week of my wife's pregnancy), I know it's risky, but worth it I guess.

You are making the pregnancy a BIG deal - when you have been accurately told by Sm1smom, it isn't.

You should not be flying so late in the pregnancy, and then trying to deal with health insurance and so on. As Mom has told you, your baby will become an LPR when you enter the USA. Your child will then become a citizen automatically when you take citizenship a few years later. So why all the urgency and stress to enter the USA prior to the birth? Have the birth at home with your support network around you, in a health system you understand. Then travel to the USA once the child is born. Just make sure you do the medical as late as possible so you have the latest possible visa expiry date (timed to be 6 months after the medical).

You need to calm down and relax. Stop all the fuss about the baby (and please stop asking people on old threads when Mom has already given you a perfect answer).

You are making the pregnancy a BIG deal - when you have been accurately told by Sm1smom, it isn't.

You should not be flying so late in the pregnancy, and then trying to deal with health insurance and so on. As Mom has told you, your baby will become an LPR when you enter the USA. Your child will then become a citizen automatically when you take citizenship a few years later. So why all the urgency and stress to enter the USA prior to the birth? Have the birth at home with your support network around you, in a health system you understand. Then travel to the USA once the child is born. Just make sure you do the medical as late as possible so you have the latest possible visa expiry date (timed to be 6 months after the medical).

You need to calm down and relax. Stop all the fuss about the baby (and please stop asking people on old threads when Mom has already given you a perfect answer).

I suppose he doesn't think the advice he's been given (which we both know others have already tried and found to be accurate) is good enough. So I'm content to watch him run from pillar to post and miss the obvious.

Dears Brit and Sm1smom,
I appreciate your great effort on this community and your time spending to reply to help others.
Please calm down, if I post in other threads, that was just to get feedback from other applicants who went through similar situation. I don't intent to be annoying for anyone here.
Sorry if my questions annoyed you. That was not my intention and definitely I don't question your professional advice.