Travel out of US while J1 waiver in process and return on H1 after waiver approval.

deepben

I am currently on a J1 visa for my Medical Residency program and my J1 waiver is in progress to start my J1 waiver job. Since the Department of State decision on the waiver is still pending and my J1 is valid only till end of August'13, I was planning to go to India and come back when the waiver & H1 visa has been approved.

I would like to know if there would be any complications in the waiver approval or when going for the H1 visa stamp since I would be out of the US. Or is it advised not to travel while the waiver processing is going on.

Thanks in advance.
DB

I am in the same situation as yours, my lawyer thinks that it would not be a big issue. But I am nervous to go back, how long has been your waiver in process, MIne is already ~ 8 weeks.

Hi simranj1

I am in the same situation as yours, my lawyer thinks that it would not be a big issue. But I am nervous to go back, how long has been your waiver in process, MIne is already ~ 8 weeks.

Sorry, I saw ur post late. DoS has sent a favourable recommendation on the 24th of July. So awaiting uscis approval. My waiver has been in process since 8 weeks too.

Hi guys, so I'm in the same situation. Did any of you travel during the waiver process/after the waiver is granted?? Did you able to make it back to the US?

HI guys, I am also wondering if I should travel while waiting for the NOS. My current visa expires may 2016 and but my ds2019 is valid until Dec 2016. I would like to go home now to renew my visa in order to be able to travel in September to Europe. I am not sure if getting a new visa would hurt my case OR if traveling before or after the waiver is issued would cause me a problem. Any thoughts? I am very worried at this point. HELP! What should I do?