• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Step-by-step consular processing (CP) instructions for DV lottery winners

tesl

Registered Users (C)
I am surprised such post doesn't exist already. I am going to try to outline the steps (partly for my own understanding of the process) and I hope you can correct me if I am wrong, and I am going to edit this post

1. Submit DSP-122, DS-230 and barcode from the 1st notification letter (or the whole letter alternatively) along with two passport photos (2 inches by 2 inches American passport photos) to KCC (Kentucky Consular Center)

2. Email KCC to confirm that the forms are received

3. Collect all the necessary documents (including translations if not in English):
  • Proof of education/employment
  • Birth certificate
  • Police records (from each country where an applicant lived for more than 6 months after reaching the age of 16, or check with your embassy what their particular requirements are, some are less restrictive and ask for police records only from countries, where you resided for more than 12 months)
  • Marriage certificate (if married)
  • Marriage termination certificate (if married and divorced)
  • Court and prison records (if ever been convicted of any crime)
  • Deportation documents (if ever been deported)
  • Military documents (if server in an army)
  • Custody documents (if in custody of a child)

4. It does state in the official instructions for 2014 DV lottery that an applicant must submit proof of sufficient funds, which may include bank account statements, and/or Affidavit of Support from a US permanent resident or citizen, and/or other proof that an applicant and his family won't become public charge.

5. Complete medical documentation with an approved doctor in your location (depending on the country you most likely will need to wait for 2nd notification letter - confirmation and scheduling of an interview - to complete this step)

6. Come with all the documents and results of the medical examination to the chosen consulate at scheduled time (consulate will notify you of a scheduled appointment); you will also have to pay a fee at the day of the interview (330$ per interviewee), before the interview itself. Otherwise you won't be allowed to the interview

7. If the interview is successful, receive a temporary visa in your passport (consulate returns you your passport with a visa, which is essentially a temporary green card) and a package, which you do not open and present to an immigration worker on a border, when arriving to the US

8. Pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee (165$) before leaving to the US. Without paying this fee the USCIS will not send you a GC (even though you can still enter the US without paying it). More info

9. Go to the US

10. Receive an actual GC through mail

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised such post doesn't exist already. I am going to try to outline the steps (partly for my own understanding of the process) and I hope you can correct me if I am wrong, and I am going to edit this post

1. Submit DSP-122 and DS-230 along with two passport photos to KCC (Kentucky Consular Center)

2. Submit DV fee to the Department of State (DOS)

3. Receive confirmation from KCC that the forms are received (by email)

4. Receive confirmation that the fee is payed (by email)

5. Collect all the necessary documents (including translations if not in English):
  • Proof of education/employment
  • Birth certificate
  • Police records (from each country where an applicant lived for more than 6 months after reaching the age of 16)
  • Marriage certificate (if married)
  • Marriage termination certificate (if married and divorced)
  • Court and prison records (if ever been convicted of any crime)
  • Deportation documents (if ever been deported)
  • Military documents (if server in an army)
  • Custody documents (if in custody of a child)

6. Complete medical documentation with an approved doctor in your location

7. Come with all the documents and results of the medical examination to the chosen consulate at scheduled time (consulate will notify you of a scheduled appointment)

8. If the interview is successful, receive a temporary visa in your passport (consulate returns you your passport with a visa, which is essentially a temporary green card) and a package, which you do not open and present to an immigration worker on a border, when arriving to the US

9. Receive an actual GC through mail

2. No, for CP you do not make payment to DOS. You make the payment on the day of your interview.

3. Technically, KCC does not send confirmation email after receiving your forms. However, if you email them to ask about its receipt or not, they will respond to your email inquiry.

4. There will be no email confirming payment receipt, payment is not made in advance (see 2 above).

In addition to Sm1smom's corrections:

1. You also must send the barcode page from your 1st notification letter. Your 2 photos must be 2 inches by 2 inches (American passport photos)

5. For police records: check with your particular embassy. I emailed the US Embassy in Ethiopia and they told me I only need them from countries where I lived for 12 months, not 6 months.

You also need to take 2 American size passport pictures to the embassy.

6. It may depend on the country, but in Ethiopia you need your 2nd NL in order to book your appointment for your medicals.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this fee? USCIS Immigrant Fee?

By the way, what about proving your financial situation? Affidavit of support? Bank statements?

What is this fee? USCIS Immigrant Fee?

By the way, what about proving your financial situation? Affidavit of support? Bank statements?

Yes, the $165 immigrant fee, paid after you get your visa but before you travel to US.

Financial affidavit depends on country. Reports vary from nothing being required to be shown (in Australia) to citizens of some countries (mostly FSU I think) requiring affidavit of support from US resident.

My country also requires second NL to book the medical.

And then there is the $165, right?

From my understanding, yes. But that's only paid if you're granted the visa.

So it's $330/person when submitting your documents the day of the interview - this is paid by every single applicant who gets interviewed. In fact, the interview won't happen without you paying first.

Then if you're granted the visa, you pay the $165 visa fee right after the interview. If you're not successful, you don't pay anything.

From my understanding, yes. But that's only paid if you're granted the visa.

So it's $330/person when submitting your documents the day of the interview - this is paid by every single applicant who gets interviewed. In fact, the interview won't happen without you paying first.

Then if you're granted the visa, you pay the $165 visa fee right after the interview. If you're not successful, you don't pay anything.

You don't pay it right after the interview, but it must be done before you go to the US. And you pay it online, not to the consulate. See http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

You don't pay it right after the interview, but it must be done before you go to the US. And you pay it online, not to the consulate. See http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I think it depends on the country. I'm pretty sure (99%) that in Ethiopia for instance, you pay at the consulate. I think it's going to be similar in other developing countries.

eta: I see that it's something new from 2013 onwards, so it would be interesting to see how it's happening now. My post above was based on visas in previous years.

I think it depends on the country. I'm pretty sure (99%) that in Ethiopia for instance, you pay at the consulate. I think it's going to be similar in other developing countries.

eta: I see that it's something new from 2013 onwards, so it would be interesting to see how it's happening now. My post above was based on visas in previous years.

The $165/person fee is a USCIS'S GC processing fee that only came into effect in February 2013. It is not payable at the embassy, it has to be paid online. CP applicants are required to make the payment following a successful interview and before departing for the US.

However, allowance is made for anyone who wishes to make the payment after their arrival in the US. You will not be prevented from entering the country if the payment is not made before your departure from your home country, USCIS simply will not mail the plastic GC until the payment is received.

Yeah I just saw that in the link, hence my edit. I thought it was like regular visa fees, my mistake.